Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Milk's impact on the planet dairy, soya, rice, oat and almond compared

Yes and that is that you're full of boring bluster with your vague nonsense about things you 'read somewhere' but can't recall.
Where did that happen? You post a video of cruelty on one farm and assert that the whole of the industry acts the same way, then you dare to say I'm the one talking nonsense? :D

Where did that happen? You post a video of cruelty on one farm and assert that the whole of the industry acts the same way, then you dare to say I'm the one talking nonsense? :D
I believe that the vast majority of factory farms (where most of the milk comes from) cause pain and suffering on cows. The very basis of large scale milk production guarantees it unless you think the cows enjoy their treatment.

I believe that the vast majority of factory farms (where most of the milk comes from) cause pain and suffering on cows. The very basis of large scale milk production guarantees it unless you think the cows enjoy their treatment.
You believe? Forgive me if I don't believe anything you believe, as it's mostly hyperbole from vegan websites.

You believe? Forgive me if I don't believe anything you believe, as it's mostly hyperbole from vegan websites.
OK, let me pull you up on that right now because you're talking utter shit again.

I positively insist you go through all the links I have posted up in the last week and then tell me how many are "vegan websites."

Or you could just say sorry for making up nonsense and save yourself the bother

OK, let me pull you up on that right now because you're talking utter shit again.

I positively insist you go through all the links I have posted up in the last week and then tell me how many are "vegan websites."

Or you could just say sorry for making up nonsense and save yourself the bother
I no longer click on any of the links you post, as they invariably lead to some nonsense that has either absolutely nothing to do with what's being discussed, or is just reactionary hyperbole from some reactionary hyperbolic vegan website.
If you have figures, post them, as I no longer wish to waste my bandwidth on your hyperbolic hyperlinks.

I no longer click on any of the links you post, as they invariably lead to some nonsense that has either absolutely nothing to do with what's being discussed, or is just reactionary hyperbole from some reactionary hyperbolic vegan website.
If you have figures, post them, as I no longer wish to waste my bandwidth on your hyperbolic hyperlinks.
Pwned.

Here. Read and learn:

I'd be really interested to see that study, because sillyness on this thread aside, I've actually been struggling to find one that compares to UK dairy industry to soya, especially for UK consumers.

Although I guess its mostly irrelevant as few people are going to choose on over the other on environmental costs alone.

Except it's not because most - if not all UK - supermarket sellers use sustainable soya. But don't let that get in the way of your killer point.
But that's just the same as you blathering on about bad practices in NZ and Canada that you keep posting. How convenient that it's acceptable for your side of the argument but not for the other side. :(

Wrong again. I've seen vegans moan that milking cows is cruel and causes pain. So how come there are now some robot milking machines in the UK where the cows are free to come and be milked whenever they want. Do you really think it's cruel or painful if the cows volunteer to be milked?

In one of your vegantastic links they were complaining about cows being overworked. Cows in the UK only calve once a year and it's timed for when food becomes plentiful. If cows were left to their own devices then a cow can get pregnant again 21 days after giving birth, then you would see overworked cows. :eek: :(

Almond trees are causing major problems re aquifer depletion in California.
And the killing of around 50 Billion bees each year.
Commercial bees are classed as livestock in America, so a vegan who regularly drinks almond milk is most likely responsible for a far greater number of livestock deaths than someone who eats meat and drinks cows' milk. That ironing must really burn.

And the killing of around 50 Billion bees each year.
Commercial bees are classed as livestock in America, so a vegan who regularly drinks almond milk is most likely responsible for a far greater number of livestock deaths than someone who eats meat and drinks cows' milk. That ironing must really burn.

Yes, I had seen a report on the horrendous treatment of bees.

Can you comment on its methodology? How do nuts end up at near-zero when they have to be transported right across the world? What would the graph look like with transport emissions included? Probably still very favourable towards nuts and the like, tbh, but at least it would be meaningful.

A goodly sector of the community are allergic or sensitive to nuts, including me, so nut based nutrition isn't an option.

The other point of course is that if everyone became vegan, the figures would change dramatically. At present a tiny vegan minority is catered for without problems, but everyone moving to a plant based diet would soon engender the problems caused by a meat and fish based diet. As it is, rice paddies generate a lot of methane.

I suppose I should say that I find vegan living a bit odd.

A goodly sector of the community are allergic or sensitive to nuts, including me, so nut based nutrition isn't an option.

The other point of course is that if everyone became vegan, the figures would change dramatically. At present a tiny vegan minority is catered for without problems, but everyone moving to a plant based diet would soon engender the problems caused by a meat and fish based diet. As it is, rice paddies generate a lot of methane.

I suppose I should say that I find vegan living a bit odd.

And the sheer number of ghost acres you'd have to grow for fertiliser. Most vegetables are fertilised with animal products.

Last edited:
And the sheer number of ghost acres you'd have to grow for fertiliser. Most vegetables are fertilised with animal products.
That's the problem really, the current system has evolved over centuries. Bringing in a new system always reveals unforeseen problems.

To each their own, but it always amuses me that vegans are unwilling to admit the harm that the fertiliser runoff does to rivers up and down the country. They seem to think that vegetables can be grown without fertiliser, whereas in truth it is millions of tons of nitrates.

That's the problem really, the current system has evolved over centuries. Bringing in a new system always reveals unforeseen problems.

To each their own, but it always amuses me that vegans are unwilling to admit the harm that the fertiliser runoff does to rivers up and down the country. They seem to think that vegetables can be grown without fertiliser, whereas in truth it is millions of tons of nitrates.

I'm not sure they do tbh. Lots of people think very hard about it. It just gets a bit confrontional on here. Food can be grown with out artificial fertilisers, but as I said it requires animal products or more land to be set aside to grow fertilisers.

I can totally understand the ethical arguments, even if I don't follow it myself. I think the environmental one is more complex.

Back
Top Bottom