Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Overnight Oats

smell and gloopy texture, think that's it
It doesn't smell the same I don't think, because it's cold. And I don't believe it's the same consistency. It's creamy (even creamier when made with yoghurt/Skyr) and the oats retain more of their integrity rather than melt a bit like when they've been cooked.

It's definitely not flapjacky but doesn't have much resemblance to porridge either. Hard to describe the texture. It's almost mousse-like I guess.
Yeh, I'd disagree with that, cos the oats retain more of their integrity, unless you smoosh it all up in a blender obv.

Yeh, I'd disagree with that, cos the oats retain more of their integrity, unless you smoosh it all up in a blender obv.
Yeah maybe mousse isn't a good description. And how the final texture turns out does depend a lot on your liquid ratio and add ins. But it's really not porridgey apart from oaty taste - I make it quite thick so it's almost like a gritty cheesecake,.

I have read bits of this thread and I have seen posts that say OO can be a bit like porridge and posts that say no they're not, so is there a way to make them not like porridge at all? Porridge makes me heave but I like flapjacks and oatcakes, would only using yoghurt make it more flapjacky?
Hmm, if you have a gag reflex with porridge then they may not suit you. I had a bowl of ‘healthy oaty breakfast’ sitting on the side since this morning and am only just now eating it. It’s not a lovely texture but does taste nice

Well I tried 'overnight oats' and it tasted like cold PVA glue and gave me constipation.

Middle class food bullshit has fooled me for the last time.

I've hated overnight oats for years until I discovered how delicious it is if you add a teaspoon of coco powder. Am totally addicted now. I also add blueberries, cherries, banana, yoghurt & milk and some chopped nuts. Fills me up more than porridge. Tastes and looks like some indulgent chocolatey desert when really it's super healthy....So good

I've hated overnight oats for years until I discovered how delicious it is if you add a teaspoon of coco powder. Am totally addicted now. I also add blueberries, cherries, banana, yoghurt & milk and some chopped nuts. Fills me up more than porridge. Tastes and looks like some indulgent chocolatey desert when really it's super healthy....So good
I do this too

(I do sometimes use a spoonful of my kid's Nutella which is absolutely delicious if less healthy. Peanut butter works well too)

Same here, found it a bit reminiscent of wallpaper paste until I included cocoa.

How long do overnight oats keep for in the fridge? Thinking of making a batch. Also, what do people use to store/transport/eat them in? (if taking to work) I currently use a plastic rectangular food storage box but it's a bit annoying

How long do overnight oats keep for in the fridge? Thinking of making a batch. Also, what do people use to store/transport/eat them in? (if taking to work) I currently use a plastic rectangular food storage box but it's a bit annoying
In the past I've done them in glass screw topo jars for work

My third or fourth effort: Oats that come with seeds in already, soaked with banana and milk, then a pear, greek yogurt and trail mix added this morning. Its ok but not the deliciousness you fine people are awesome at.

My third or fourth effort: Oats that come with seeds in already, soaked with banana and milk, then a pear, greek yogurt and trail mix added this morning. Its ok but not the deliciousness you fine people are awesome at.
Sounds ok, but I'd add a splash of maple syrup to it too :oldthumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom