Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Overnight Oats

These oats are really old as well. From my last attempt at eating porridge. they’ve been stored in a airtight box and are dry though. I presume they can’t kill you…
They'll be reet. As long as there's no mould, you'll be fine.

No more creamy than with other methods. Might put some cream in it next time though!

Can’t quite remember what I put in the sugar, I made some Christmas popcorn with it. Definitely cinnamon and vanilla pods, maybe nutmeg and cloves too?

The health properties referred to upthread - they’re supposedly healthier if you soak them cos they release more iron or something. Which is fine if you’re in need of it, but not so much of a big deal if you’re healthy and already eating a balanced diet.
Try putting some yoghurt/Skyr in for extra creaminess.

Yes to cinnamon and vanilla, not to nutmeg and cloves for me personally.

Oh right. Well, bear in mind that your nutritional needs change as you age. I've only very recently come to realise the importance of extra protein. Wish this stuff was more common knowledge than it is. I started having muscle trouble 10 years ago, pulling them doing really insignificant stuff. I didn't know then that I was losing muscle mass, and that this was one of the symptoms, or that eating extra protein would help counteract it.

What's skyr like? Intrigued by the benefits of the extra protein, but generally prefer my oats with just milk and not yoghurt, as not so keen on the sourness of yoghurt.

Might add some skyr to my shopping list and try it out.

The one I had this morning, with yoghurt frozen blueberries, whey powder was good. Will have the same tomorrow. I drank it like a thick smoothie. It was a thick smoothie TBF. I might add some Chia seeds in tomorrow’s.

Try putting some yoghurt/Skyr in for extra creaminess.

Yes to cinnamon and vanilla, not to nutmeg and cloves for me personally.

Oh right. Well, bear in mind that your nutritional needs change as you age. I've only very recently come to realise the importance of extra protein. Wish this stuff was more common knowledge than it is. I started having muscle trouble 10 years ago, pulling them doing really insignificant stuff. I didn't know then that I was losing muscle mass, and that this was one of the symptoms, or that eating extra protein would help counteract it.
Thanks, noted. Though I get loads of protein in my diet - have always consciously eaten a balanced diet without having to supplement it, so prefer to concentrate on what I like to eat, knowing that I have a solid base of a nutritional diet. I find conscious and precise measuring of nutrition to be anxiety-causing, like calorie counting and weight monitoring, and to be detrimental to my enjoyment of my diet, but of course that’s just my experience - YMMV, natch

What's skyr like? Intrigued by the benefits of the extra protein, but generally prefer my oats with just milk and not yoghurt, as not so keen on the sourness of yoghurt.

Might add some skyr to my shopping list and try it out.
It doesn't taste of much. A little sour maybe. But mixed with fruit it's just adding body and protein. I've only just started using it myself, on a friend's recommendation.

Swear to god I can already feel the extra protein helping with muscle recovery. Usually I'll be sore for a good 24 hours, sometimes more, but I can literally feel the pain melting away over the course of a day.

Reckon it's worth a try.

Thanks, noted. Though I get loads of protein in my diet - have always consciously eaten a balanced diet without having to supplement it, so prefer to concentrate on what I like to eat, knowing that I have a solid base of a nutritional diet. I find conscious and precise measuring of nutrition to be anxiety-causing, like calorie counting and weight monitoring, and to be detrimental to my enjoyment of my diet, but of course that’s just my experience - YMMV, natch
Well as you probably know from the tea thread, my diet is good too, but a lot of reading around has shown me that I definitely need extra protein, and I am benefitting from it, but then I am also strengthening my body so require more. I'm also a post-menopausal female, so started out with less muscle than you anyway.

Ooo no, I'd never calorie count, I love my scran too much, but the working out of protein intake is currently fascinating me.

I made up an overnight oats recipe for tomorrow-it's in the fridge.

2 cups of oats
Tbs of chia seeds
Handful of raspberries
Handful of blueberries
4 tbs of ground almonds
2 cups of oat milk
1/2 cup of Greek yogurt
Hand ful of cacao nibs
Couple if lashes of maple syrup.

Last edited:
How did you get on with the chocolatey one kalidarkone ?
Omg it was amazing and so great to get to eat chocolate pudding for breakfast 😋.

The only thing is I've not eaten till after midday for years so I felt a bit uncomfortable for a while. But the good thing is that I didn't need any evening meal (I was also far too busy to take a second break) so I didn't eat at all from about 1500 and felt fine.

Omg it was amazing and so great to get to eat chocolate pudding for breakfast 😋.

The only thing is I've not eaten till after midday for years so I felt a bit uncomfortable for a while. But the good thing is that I didn't need any evening meal (I was also far too busy to take a second break) so I didn't eat at all from about 1500 and felt fine.
Yeh, I'd eat it as a pudding tbh 😅 Sooo good.

Oh great 😎👍

Today's was oats, Skyr, splash of oat milk, frozen blackberries, blackcurrants, cherries and Morello cherries, and a drizzle of maple syrupe. Once again, a gigantic nom.
After your recommendation I bought some skyr yesterday and had almost exactly this (just frozen cherries and some chia seeds too), and I agree. Absolutely delicious.

I thought I might not like the extra thickness from the skyr compared to the milk I usually use, but it was pretty good, and went well with some sweetness from maple syrup.

Oh, I added a dollop of peanut butter too :D

After your recommendation I bought some skyr yesterday and had almost exactly this (just frozen cherries and some chia seeds too), and I agree. Absolutely delicious.

I thought I might not like the extra thickness from the skyr compared to the milk I usually use, but it was pretty good, and went well with some sweetness from maple syrup.

Oh, I added a dollop of peanut butter too :D
Yeh, it's really good innit? I've been impressed with it too. I normally wouldn't touch plain sourish yoghurt with a bargepole, but mixed in with everything else (and the bonus protein) it's fab.

Mmm peanut butter :D I have got a nut larder bigger than a Siberian squirrel's though so generally save the peanut butter for brownies or toast and just put some crushed nuts on top instead:D

Skyr is not for me as really not a dairy fan. But I do think extra protein is needed. Protein powder works well but am going to try blended silken tofu, which I reckon would be lush.

I’ve run out of frozen fruit. Tomorrow one will be challenging. It’s just skyr oats, Chia seeds and protein powder. I might see if I can drop some honey in. although I probably won’t be asked in the morning and just tried drinking it. Today it was difficult as I put too many oats in last night. Half a cup is really the limit.

This still has to be a better way than eggs. I mean you need eight of the fuckers to get the same amount of protein, if you’re throwing the yolks away. And if you’re not throwing the yolks away I’m not sure eating eight eggs a few times a week is that good for you on top of everything else.

What’s with the current obsession with protein? It was carbs before, now it’s protein. Find it very puzzling

For people who exercise protein is really important to ensure muscle repair, and it's often easy to find you're not eating enough of it because carbs are easier to load up on.
Why would you need to repair muscle unless you were overdoing it? I exercise every day but eat a balanced diet, which is all you need if you’re healthy.

Why would you need to repair muscle unless you were overdoing it? I exercise every day but eat a balanced diet, which is all you need if you’re healthy.
Needing to repair muscles is not a symptom of overdoing it.

Physical exertion causes micro tears in muscles, and the body's repair of these muscles is what enables those muscles to become stronger. This is a normal function of exercise, and how humans get better at lifting weights, running faster/further and all manner of other types of physical exercise.

Protein is a vital component for repairing these micro tears, as well as helping maintain muscle mass as you get older.

I know I need a decent amount of protein because I'm pretty active and do weights. But the average person doesn't necessarily - some of the benefits of protein may have been overblown, particularly by a meat industry keen to sell it's products. As with most dietary things, there's conflicting evidence.

Back
Top Bottom