Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Middle class anxiety

Well, she won't. It's just a nonsense article in a nonsense paper, a drunk dinner-party conversation unwisely written up the next morning. But what stops it being a proposal with legs isn't some sort of high minded question of constitutional legitimacy, it's that it wouldn't get anything more than a handful of MPs prepared to support it in parliament.
10 tops, including lucas

if you keep ignoring the obvious
I'm not doing this. I honestly don't understand why there would be a deficit in legitimacy for a government cobbled together from a load of parties partway through a parliament, but a government cobbled together from a couple of parties at the start of a parliament is ok.

I'm not doing this. I honestly don't understand why there would be a deficit in legitimacy for a government cobbled together from a load of parties partway through a parliament, but a government cobbled together from a couple of parties at the start of a parliament is ok.
When you put it like that it sounds dead reasonable but you know fine it would be a cunts move. People expect a coalition of sorts when it’s a hung parliament don’t they, this would be a different thing entirely. But I presently can’t think of a way to word it that won’t fail the strictly academic test IYSWIM.

And, if we are at the stage that the parliament needs desperately reordering, why *wouldn’t* you just do it via a GE.

It's a theme in Traverso's book on populism...the "extreme centre"'s offer to capital is to bypass politics and substitute governance for government.

He talks about impolitics too. But I haven't quite got my head around that bit.

...but all this stuff links to both m/c anxiety, invocation of crisis and to the rise of both populism and the "beyond tribalism" push from the centre.

Last edited:
I was brought up definitely middle class, but as I so infrequently mix with middle class people, and went to a Polytechnic rather than a University, class wise I am in a rather dissatisfying limbo.
anyone who uses the phrase 'a rather dissatisfying limbo' has made it clear where they stand

It annoys me that it's assumed working class people don't post on here.

Well, certain of the...what we might call the post-Trot (as in "used to be a member of the SWP at uni") middle class left presume to be able to detect "working class people" simply by their posts. This appears to be a follow-on from the old presumption that the working class can't possibly be educated enough to articulate how they are socio-economically oppressed, therefore: Any poster MUST be middle class.

Well, certain of the...what we might call the post-Trot (as in "used to be a member of the SWP at uni") middle class left presume to be able to detect "working class people" simply by their posts. This appears to be a follow-on from the old presumption that the working class can't possibly be educated enough to articulate how they are socio-economically oppressed, therefore: Any poster MUST be middle class.

innit

You're not funny but you think you are. Mind you, I liked your post stating working class people don't often experience othering by middle class people if they mainly live in working class areas. That was funny.

Sadly, I see it every day, when SOME of the local middle class people walk through my estate on the way to the local park. The looks they give to my neighbours and their kids, for daring to be loud, boisterous and not white, it's barefacedly insulting. I suspect these are the same people I see on Tulse Hill (main local thoroughfare) crossing the road if they see a group of black kids walking towards them. If you're wondering, this is a recent phenomenon, last 5 yrs or so. It's almost as if those that move here because the area is supposedly (editor 's least favourite phrase) "edgy and vibrant", can't actually take the "edginess" unless it's watered down to suit their sensitive palettes.

I assume lynch and not Guevara.
41CqyFt93DL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

see 'venecermos!', a collection of guevara's writings, where 'innit' crops up with depressing frequency in his speeches

Back
Top Bottom