Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Major power outages across the UK

Bizarre. We get power cuts on an almost monthly basis. Often they last half a day, on one occasion it was three days (I went out and bought a generator after that). And yet this countrywide cut didn’t hit us at all. Go figure.

Reading the reports, I am genuinely astonished at the fuss people are making about not having power for a few hours. The hit to the transport network, I can totally understand complaining about. But the general shock-horror about shops being closed or not being able to use the leccy at home or things being quiet feels like, well, normal life to me!

Last edited:
Bizarre. We get power cuts on an almost monthly basis. Often they last half a day, on one occasion it was three days (I went out and bought a generator after that). And yet this countrywide cut didn’t hit us at all. Go figure.

Reading the reports, I am genuinely astonished at the fuss people are making about not having power for a few hours. The hit to the transport network, I can totally understand complaining about. But the general shock-horror about shops being closed or not being able to use the leccy at home or things being quiet feels like, well, normal life to me!
I have up on London Bridge and trekked over to King's Cross just in time for the station to close :facepalm: to be fair most people were sitting around chatting, eating takeaway and a lot drinking beers or cans of gin. A few people getting irate at the staff but there were a lot heading away/home from holiday.

Only took me 4.5 hours to get the 50 mins home :)

All the shops were open and no power cut in Hertfordshire.

National Grid spokesman saying that 2 power stations going off-line within 2 minutes of each other is is very rare, the last time was in 2008. They had the grid back up to strength within 15 minutes, and the regional distribution companies then had to get their systems back up & running, which started happening bit by bit, with the last area back online at 90 minutes.

Of course, the big question is why with just a drop of 5% in power, the system took out the railways rather than more homes instead, because of the knock on effect that causes the railway network, resulting in trains being delayed for several hours.

National Grid spokesman saying that 2 power stations going off-line within 2 minutes of each other is is very rare, the last time was in 2008. They had the grid back up to strength within 15 minutes, and the regional distribution companies then had to get their systems back up & running, which started happening bit by bit, with the last area back online at 90 minutes.

Of course, the big question is why with just a drop of 5% in power, the system took out the railways rather than more homes instead, because of the knock on effect that causes the railway network, resulting in trains being delayed for several hours.

Tbh it’s made Mr Steve Holliday look a bit silly:

"The lights haven't gone out yet and thanks to the measures the government is putting in place this week they definitely won't go out in future. The UK has one of the most stable supplies of electricity in Europe."

Pity likes. :( it’s come to this, MrCurry

It really has. It’s the least I could do for you, and I fear it may be too little, too late.

Noticed, on looking at Gridwatch, that the pumped storage stations went to full generate at approx 1700 on Friday.
But their contribution is a drop in the ocean (sorry) ...

It would appear that the national grid is not as resilient as it should be, and one or two places should check their back-up generators / UPS systems actually work.

Luckily, no power cut and I didn't notice even a brown-out here in SW Northumberland (If the voltage / supply frequency dropped. it wasn't enough to notice - we often get a minor drop at midnight which declares by a decrease in the lights)

I have never lived in any place where power cuts are a regular thing. I think you're just being ripped off by your power supplier.

When we first moved into SW Northumberland, we were plagued by power cuts and brown outs. It took some major work on the supply network (a new switching / transformer station and some additional OHL) to solve that problem.

I have never lived in any place where power cuts are a regular thing. I think you're just being ripped off by your power supplier.
Have you ever lived essentially in the woods, reliant on miles of power cables that are vulnerable to falling branches taking them out all along that network?

Have you ever lived essentially in the woods, reliant on miles of power cables that are vulnerable to falling branches taking them out all along that network?
Yes, I do live there. And the first thing we thought on the cut yesterday (whenever) was that it was a tree down on the line somewhere.

This is power station maintenance season, which always happens over the summer months, so some power stations would have been offline anyway. This means that only some are generating, and if they go down for whatever reason, there's not enough power going into the grid to meet demand. There were also high winds on Friday, so some wind farms may also have been offline.

Seems odd, too much wind for windfarms? :) The usual criticism of them being that there is not enough wind! I suppose like anything they have design limits.
Yes, a lot of wind turbines have a narrow operating range. It's more likely that there will be damage at high wind speeds, so they tend to get switched off.

Yes, a lot of wind turbines have a narrow operating range. It's more likely that there will be damage at high wind speeds, so they tend to get switched off.

That wasn't the case here, it's widely reported the turbines were still turning, but there was a technical problem with connecting to the grid.

We had gusts of over 70 mph, and our wind-farm continued to operate as normal, gusts of around 100 mph is when it becomes an issue.

I never noticed any power cuts here. Is this still going on anywhere?

No, it was only for a maximum of 90 minutes depending on the area, the national grid was actually back to normal in 15 minutes, it just took the regional distribution companies a little longer to get back online.

Apparently part of the reason for trains being delayed for several hours beyond that, was because drivers couldn't get them started, as the modern on-board computers had totally shut-down, so they had to wait for technicians to come out. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom