Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Major power outages across the UK

Is this "across the UK" in the same sense that the Americans say "World Series"?
“South East, Midlands, South West and Wales said there was a "major incident" affecting electricity.
UK Power Networks said it believed it was due to a "failure on National Grid's network".”

As far as I can see the news is still breaking so no one is quite sure what areas are affected. And London and the south is indeed part of the UK.

#returnservepedantry

And "across the UK" kind of implies more than London and bits of surrounding areas.
Well, to some of those people who live in other bits, it does iyswim.

And "across the UK" kind of implies more than London and bits of surrounding areas.
Well, to some of those people who live in other bits, it does iyswim.
It does seem to be more than Greater London, much as I’d love to join in the pedantry.

“South East, Midlands, South West and Wales said there was a "major incident" affecting electricity.
UK Power Networks said it believed it was due to a "failure on National Grid's network".”
UK power networks dont look after the whole of the uk so it is a bit strange it is across multiple distribution companies areas. Also that they have made a statement on stuff outside of their control is a bit weird.

Distribution Network Operator | UK Power Networks

Anyhow... is this how the Russian invasion begins? Nip down to the shed and find your pitchforks, people.

Power still on in Tottenham.

I had an idea the Underground had its own separate power supply. Anyone else know? :confused:

UK power networks dont look after the whole of the uk so it is a bit strange it is across multiple distribution companies areas. Also that they have made a statement on stuff outside of their control is a bit weird.

Distribution Network Operator | UK Power Networks

It's a national grid problem, hitting various areas...

Large parts of London and the South East are without electricity following a power cut, UK Power Networks has said.

Northern Power also confirmed an electricity failure sending thousands of homes and businesses into darkness. Commuters in Liverpool as well as Ellesmere Port and Stockport in Cheshire also complained of power outages.

Western Power Distribution (WPD), the electricity distribution network operator for the Midlands, south-west and Wales, said there was a “major incident”.

A cross t.

mr-t-413140-1-402.jpg

I pity the fool who puts milk in first

We just had a 35 minute power outage.

Thought it might be a tree down as it's been blowy.

But now I gather it is more widespread.

Posting from the sticks!

As far as I can see the news is still breaking so no one is quite sure what areas are affected. And London and the south is indeed part of the UK.

#returnservepedantry

Yes I will be forced to withdraw my earlier complaint about the BBC.

Information is still rather patchy. I look forward to hearing the technical explanation for what has happened, due to the interesting geographical pattern of failure.

I dont know enough about the infrastructure to have a guess, though it is tempting to mumble something about frequency instability on lines of certain voltages.

Back
Top Bottom