Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Mayoral Election 2024

People were campaigning nearly 200 years ago for equal sized constituencies and our so-called democracy has yet to introduce them
That's not really accurate. The Assembly seats are as close as they can be when you think they're built from combining Boroughs

That's not really accurate. The Assembly seats are as close as they can be when you think they're built from combining Boroughs
It's pretty bloody accurate. You've rather fucked your case by not looking at the great disparities of size between the London constituencies and of course the disparities in the sizes of London boroughs, all of which are represented by at least 2 mps

And to what end? The combined boroughs have very little in common, especially the outer-inner fusions.

Does/did anyone on here really think that the batshit Tory would seriously challenge Khan ? She's probably one of the worst candidates they've ever had .

I'll be honest and when I saw the turnout in the outer boroughs I had a few collywobbles.

Misplaced by the looks of it.

eta: based on working with people that live outside the circulars and they are really annoyed about ULEZ so was wondering if that would have more of an impact than it has.

I'll be honest and when I saw the turnout in the outer boroughs I had a few collywobbles.

Misplaced by the looks of it.

eta: based on working with people that live outside the circulars and they are really annoyed about ULEZ so was wondering if that would have more of an impact than it has.
When I voted I asked about the turnout and was told it was high which I took as a negative. Looks like it has worked both ways with many Londoners disgusted by Halls campaign.

Results here, albeit for large chunks of London in one big go, have to start looking a little concerning for the Tories. Warranted for many of them here.

in terms of the mayoral election, it's decided on total number of votes cast, not on how many GLA constituencies are won so for this particular thread, i'm not sure constituency size / shape is relevant. (although there isn't a separate thread on the GLA election, so maybe it is)

the GLA election also includes the london-wide members as well as the constituency members, and i've read an explanation of how that works once, and quite honestly, i didn't quite understand it.

i'm fairly sure the old GLC and LCC before it used to have more members, and more constituencies / wards rather than the mega-constituencies in the current GLA. I'm not sure if they followed borough or parliamentary constituency boundaries. (although westminster constituencies tended to sit within borough boundaries more then than they do now.)

i'm not sure there is an ideal.

yes, in theory, each elected member to any body ought to represent about the same number of electors.

but how do you draw the boundaries and who do you get to draw them?

the boundary changes that will apply at the next general election are (in theory) supposed to even out the number of electors. in practice, they look a lot like tory gerrymandering.

having constituencies that match existing council boundaries (or stay within them then sub-divide them where the numbers make it right) is relatively easy for everyone to understand, means that an MP / GLA member gets to know the right people to talk to at one council not several. and you don't get odd bits on the edge of boroughs that get moved from one parliamentary consituency to another every few years.

but population shifts do happen - the population of each london borough now isn't the same as it was in 1965 when the current london boroughs were formed (mostly through forced amalgamation of two or more metropolitan boroughs - and some people haven't forgiven this yet) - and there's places like thamesmead (for example) that just wasn't there (as a residential area) in 1965.

and council boundaries may or may not match how communities actually function, especially in urban areas where there isn't a visible gap between one neighbourhood and the next.

Back
Top Bottom