Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Mayoral Election 2024

Yes, but the wealthy voting for wealth defence is regarded as voting in their own interests, no?
Anyone, however wealthy, who voted for say Sadiq Khan or Count Binface in the London Mayoral election would not be voting against the defence of their own wealth because, neither of those candidates seems to have the desire to do so; and given the rather limited role of the mayor of London, none of the candidates, if victorious, would have the power to strip the bourgeoisie of their wealth and send them of to the farms of the home counties for re-education and fruit harvesting.

I saw a Persil advert on a bus recently. The house is full of it now.
I thought that many Brexiteers proudly claimed that, even if it were against their own (economic) interests, it was 'the right thing to for the country'? Or are you actually claiming to be immune to advertising?

Labour apparently worried that Khan could lose based on the urban vote not turning out because people are pissed about Gaza.

I hadn't thought the London Mayor could be even close, but... yeah. Plus Ullez in the outer Boroughs I suppose. London getting a Tory mayor is one of those things, like robin redbreasts in a cage (and Tory mayors on Teesside), that puts all heaven in a rage. But it just highlights Starmer's stupidity over Gaza. More to the point, it's a horrendous policy for the people of Gaza, but electorally stupid too.

I hadn't thought the London Mayor could be even close, but... yeah. Plus Ullez in the outer Boroughs I suppose. London getting a Tory mayor is one of those things, like robin redbreasts in a cage (and Tory mayors on Teesside), that puts all heaven in a rage. But it just highlights Starmer's stupidity over Gaza. More to the point, it's a horrendous policy for the people of Gaza, but electorally stupid too.
I think it's more than just Gaza, tbh.

I think it's more than just Gaza, tbh.
We'll see when the results come in how many votes he got in eg Bethnal Green.

It's also about ulez, but it's also also about voter suppression (id) and the change to a less democratic voting system. Tories would be nowhere without this last point, which is why they shat on democracy by changing it, of course.

If she does win it will, like 2017, be another example of the political class abandoning a campaign resulting in that campaign outperforming expectations. One might almost be able to say that it suggested they are rubbish at politics.

If she does win it will, like 2017, be another example of the political class abandoning a campaign resulting in that campaign outperforming expectations. One might almost be able to say that it suggested they are rubbish at politics.
Both sides abandoned it, hence an idiot like Hall being chosen as candidate. If she were to win, it would be an example of the Tories winning without even trying to win.

It's also about ulez, but it's also also about voter suppression (id) and the change to a less democratic voting system. Tories would be nowhere without this last point, which is why they shat on democracy by changing it, of course.

Well he got mine and the other 4 people I saw in our BG polling station were all white mc. Including Mlle fire. But she voted Green.

So based on that sample I would say he’s won by a large margin.

Last edited:
Perhaps there is another, less sneery, term that might describe people who vote against their own interests because they lack information or are swayed by single issues like ULEZ?
Arguing for a politics based on interests rather than one of views/values is itself a political position. One that I share, but that is not shared (at least explicitly) by many people living in the UK.

Both conservatives and liberals continue to argue and organise on the basis of values as opposed it interests and so it is hardly surprising to find that this framework in strong and persistent. Although I'd argue that a politics if interest is nevertheless often implicit in workers politics - the cost of living crisis has clearly resulted in political action, even though electoral aspect of switching from Tory to Labour will do little to improve workers conditions.

And of course thinking about voting against ones own interests carries the implicit assumption that voting is an important political action.

Living in a largely populated Muslim area (Tower Hamlets) part of me is quite interested to see where some of the votes have gone given the issue with Gaza, having said that though saw many people of all faiths turning out to vote at my polling station.

Personally I think Khan still wins, I really doubt a swing of the magnitude with how disliked Susan Hall is really (just by the fact she is absolutely batshit) could be feasible. His majority will be smaller perhaps, but losing just doesn’t really seem possible to me.

The paradox of the voter suppression tactic was highlighted by Rees-Mogg. Many of those most likely to be disenfranchised are Tory voters.

As to the system being less democratic, as there is only going to be one mayor, what I felt I lost was my chance to make a meaningless protest vote in the first round. My assumption is that the Tories will lose votes they would have got under the old system to Deform and that both Labour and the Tories will lose voters to the Liberals.

Here's the turnout.

Here are the voter turnout percentages by constituency:

Barnet and Camden: 39.59%
Bexley and Bromley: 48.38%
Brent and Harrow: 37.09%
City and East (Barking and Dagenham, City of London, Newham, Tower Hamlets): 31.17%
Croydon and Sutton: 42.27%
Ealing and Hillingdon: 42.98%
Enfield and Haringey: 41.38%
Greenwich and Lewisham: 40.33%
Havering and Redbridge: 42.94%
Lambeth and Southwark: 39.13%
Merton and Wandsworth: 45.99%
North East (Hackney, Islington, Waltham Forest): 39.57%
South West (Hounslow, Kingston upon Thames, Richmond upon Thames): 45.26%
West Central (Hammersmith and Fulham, Kensington and Chelsea, Westminster): 34.98%

This ain't good for Khan but he'll probably pull it out

Here's the turnout.

Here are the voter turnout percentages by constituency:

Barnet and Camden: 39.59%
Bexley and Bromley: 48.38%
Brent and Harrow: 37.09%
City and East (Barking and Dagenham, City of London, Newham, Tower Hamlets): 31.17%
Croydon and Sutton: 42.27%
Ealing and Hillingdon: 42.98%
Enfield and Haringey: 41.38%
Greenwich and Lewisham: 40.33%
Havering and Redbridge: 42.94%
Lambeth and Southwark: 39.13%
Merton and Wandsworth: 45.99%
North East (Hackney, Islington, Waltham Forest): 39.57%
South West (Hounslow, Kingston upon Thames, Richmond upon Thames): 45.26%
West Central (Hammersmith and Fulham, Kensington and Chelsea, Westminster): 34.98%

This ain't good for Khan but he'll probably pull it out
Tend to agree, but much of the chatter regarding outer London turnout seems to overlook the significant demographic changes experienced in many, poorer outer areas and see the electorate as a homogeneous Tory core.

Back
Top Bottom