Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Anarchist Bookfair 2022

Yep exemplified here: The Great Welfare Myth: The chattering classes are peddling a poisonous myth - that the poor cannot survive without the soul- deadening embrace of welfarism

Brendan O'Neill, claiming to be a leading left wing thinker, arguing that only middle class liberals cared about benefit cuts, and the real working class wanted their money to be cut. They are fucking poison.
Yep exemplified here: The Great Welfare Myth: The chattering classes are peddling a poisonous myth - that the poor cannot survive without the soul- deadening embrace of welfarism

Brendan O'Neill, claiming to be a leading left wing thinker, arguing that only middle class liberals cared about benefit cuts, and the real working class wanted their money to be cut. They are fucking poison.

Kathleen stock wrote something in a similar vein attacking reasonable adjustments at university.

I don’t agree with writing for Spiked, or RT for that matter. But what she HAS written doesn’t seem off beam to me. And those that object are the usual suspects who mostly dismiss class within the debate as ‘reductionist’ etc (I’m not including Smokedout in that).
As "reductive" was a word I used it seems clear who you're aiming at. And that if so, you misunderstood (or misleadingly interpreted, again) what I was saying, which had nothing whatsoever to do with "dismissing class in the debate" and was actually a criticism that class and the left is complex, deserving of better than inaccurate, right-wing friendly sneering about how the left is all middle class now.

On which note I think I'm going to stop engaging with this relentlessly bad faith approach you've been taking, which I remember also happened during the trans arguments a while back. So don't expect further responses.

Last edited:
This stuff is always complicated to navigate. We all do things that are compromised and flawed with our lives and work - behaviour too sometimes. What for one of us is a fair choice under difficult circumstances (or something we justify politically somehow) is to another a step too far and a political disaster. But we usually muddle along and get by, sometimes arguing about these choices, and sometimes just shrugging and accepting in the grand scheme of things they're not that important.

One of the things I don't like about this tendency to ban/un-invite is the importance it gives to individual choices and decisions as if somehow the movement is made up of people that have decided to do the 'right thing', and then the political project often seems to become just the push to get people to also do the 'right thing'. And if you do the 'wrong thing' then you're not really part of the same political project. It's been discussed ad nauseam why this has happened, but like I said it's a shit and unhelpful tendency (even when the decision itself might seem fair judged in isolation) so even while I think Lisa is wrong on Spiked and GBNews I think it's not a very helpful direction to do this, even on the pragmatic level of how much fucking time we spend discussing this kind of distraction.

Last year the acg were prevented from having a stall for political reasons. This year lisa because of one of her employers. There's two great precedents for the future. And some people have gone further and said they can see why people proposing only selling one thing off their stalls might not be allowed to have one. I can't recall any other bookfair in London or further afield acting like this. I don't know if Helen Steele has put in for a stall to sell the book she co-wrote about spy cops but if she has I wouldn't bet on her getting one.

Perhaps working class academic Dr. McKenzie would appreciate this long and somewhat dry 2020 paper on RT here, examining its structure, interviewing former employees and explaining why they give columns and airtime to lefties alongside the usual gaggle of holocaust deniers, conspiraloons and maniacs.

Me getting a job writing for the Sun is different to me getting a job working as a printer there. A cleaner at the cop shop is very different from writing their press releases. It's not that hard to grasp. Anyway, I'm not running a bookfair and I'm very unlikely to go to one so what the fuck does my opinion count for? Nowt.

Any good? It was never on my radar and only relatively recently heard of it and that it's by the folk behind League of Gentlemen.
Yeah, I'd say probably better than League, it's very different though, one of those anthology things so every episode's a completely different setting, but they do a good job at drawing you in given they only have half an hour for each story.

Me getting a job writing for the Sun is different to me getting a job working as a printer there. A cleaner at the cop shop is very different from writing their press releases. It's not that hard to grasp.

So in the spirit of equality, a sentiment that most anarchists would agree with, we should be informed of the employment details of the organisers and all stall holders to ensure there aren’t any other conflicts of interest in our midst. Would be a shame to be part of building a culture where being open and honest leads to censure which encourages deceit.

Yeah, I'd say probably better than League, it's very different though, one of those anthology things so every episode's a completely different setting, but they do a good job at drawing you in given they only have half an hour for each story.
Bloody not on Netflix anymore. Had a look last night. Ended being underwhelmed by Derry Girls instead.

So in the spirit of equality, a sentiment that most anarchists would agree with, we should be informed of the employment details of the organisers and all stall holders to ensure there aren’t any other conflicts of interest in our midst. Would be a shame to be part of building a culture where being open and honest leads to censure which encourages deceit.
That would be funny if the organisers agreed. Speculate briefly as to the amount of high viz wearers compared to pencil heads.

Seriously do you not think that there are some jobs which should raise a concern? Should the bookfair give a stall to a group run by a cop, bailiff, or arms industry executive? Now whether someone who writes for the right wing press falls into one of those categories is fair to debate but the idea that there are no jobs which should rule people out of formal participation in anarchist groups or events seems pretty reckless to me.

Seriously do you not think that there are some jobs which should raise a concern? Should the bookfair give a stall to a group run by a cop, bailiff, or arms industry executive? Now whether someone who writes for the right wing press falls into one of those categories is fair to debate but the idea that there are no jobs which should rule people out of formal participation in anarchist groups or events seems pretty reckless to me.
Not sure how you're disagreeing with me there.

Back
Top Bottom