Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Anarchist bookfair 2020

...as in there's not a single meeting I'd be bothered about attending, even virtually.

12 Rules For What are decent. The GAF thing looks interesting. I’m up for archiving dusty old things so MayDay rooms might be ok but not for two hours.

I will probably be on the piss all weekend instead though unless lockdown happens. :D

And what happens to you if you don't think that transphobia is a class issue? Or don't agree on the official version of what is transphobia? Or what a class issue is?

And what happens to you if you don't think that transphobia is a class issue? Or don't agree on the official version of what is transphobia? Or what a class issue is?

tenor.gif

Hopefully.

depressing amount of carping
considering covid killed the event (again) the fact they ('they' being probably about 3 knackered volunteers) managed to build a website from scratch and work out the technology to put on a streamed programme, no doubt with fuck all money if any, is a minor miracle. im sure it wouldve been very much easier to say Ah Fuck it.

considering covid killed the event (again) the fact they ('they' being probably about 3 knackered volunteers) managed to build a website from scratch and work out the technology to put on a streamed programme, no doubt with fuck all money if any, is a minor miracle. im sure it wouldve been very much easier to say Ah Fuck it.

Fair do's but this is Urban75. :)

Possibly there might have been more than three of them (if that is the number) if they had allowed more people who expressed an interest to attend their inaugural meeting in August last year.

danny la rouge here is the programme:

Saturday 10:30 - 12:15Stop and Scrap Universal credit: where now for the campaign? (DPAC)
Saturday 12:15 - 13:00Stolen Anarchy: Playing Indian & The Roots of Collectivism (Twin Rabbit)
Saturday 13:00 - 14:00Discussion: Jean Weir's 'To The Deranged' (Forged Books)
Saturday 14:00 - 16:00Archiving Radical Spaces (Mayday Rooms)
Saturday 16:00 - 17:00Great Anarchists (Ruth Kinna)
Saturday 17:00 - 18:00Trauma, Tracksuits and Class Traitors (D.Hunter)
Saturday 18:00 - 19:00Fascism and Anti-fascism (12 Rules for WHAT)
Saturday 19:00 - 20:00Eco-fascism: The Rhetoric of the Virus (Jay Fraser and guests)
Saturday 20:00 - 21:00Talk on the Earth Strike campaign (Earth Strike)
Saturday 21:00 - 22:00Activist Cafe goes Bookfair 2020! (The Common House)
Sunday 10:00 - 10:30Transphobia is a Class issue (Anarchasteminist)
Sunday 10:30 - 11:00Capitalism, Welfare and the Making of a Human Catastrophe (Ellen Clifford)
Sunday 11:00 - 11:30Osugi Sakae's Life and Philosophy (Sasazuka Collective)
Sunday 11:30 - 12:30A talk with the Anarchist Library
Sunday 12:30 - 13:00Organise! Guide to design (Anarchist Federation)
Sunday 13:00 - 14:00Anarcho folk festivals: Who, what, when, where, how, and why (James Bar Bowen)
Sunday 14:00 - 15:00Challenging sexism, racism & class bias in the family courts (Legal Action for Women)
Sunday 15:00 - 16:00A Care Income for People & Planet! (Global Women's Strike)
Sunday 16:00 - 17:00DPAC Live Panel Discussion (DPAC)
Sunday 17:00 - 18:00An introduction to the Solidarity Federation (Solfed)
Sunday 18:00 - 19:00Sex Workers Fighting Police, Illegality, and Racism (ECP)
Sunday 19:00 - 20:00Talk on Turkey's Devrimci Anarşist Faaliyet (AF)
Sunday 20:00 - 21:00Green Solidarity – Learning from the GRASS experience (GAF)
Sunday 21:00 - 21:30Poetry with The Uptown Portrayer
Sunday 21:30 - 22:30Steve White and the Protest Family

danny la rouge here is the intro text:

Welcome to the 2020 Anarchist Bookfair in London
We wish we could be together again this year to meet old comrades and foes, conspire, educate, organize and plot in person, but due to Covid-19, this event will be held online from Saturday 17th October to Sunday 18th October 2020.

We did our best effort to facilitate our collective's first anarchist bookfair, and to try and make it accessible and inclusive online.

If we made any errors, we apologies in advance. We hope you will enjoy this year's online edition, and if you have any issues please get in touch via the email below.

The composition of the organising collectives behind the various Anarchist bookfairs in London has changed many times over the years and we are proud to take on the task of bringing a prominent bastion of Anarchist and radical thinking back to London. The London Anarchist Bookfair has been a vital component of the Anarchist community since it’s inception in 1981 and we intend to carry on in this fine tradition.

Bookfair 2020 will be a diverse event with an organisational focus on both internationalism and our Anarchist heritage here in the UK. We are hoping that our international comrades will join us on the day, as many did in previous years and we intend to play host to workshops and displays that illustrate our shared Anarchist tradition.

More than just a simple marketplace, bookfairs are cornerstones of Anarchism, linchpins of a diverse and sprawling revolutionary movement. They are where we come together to share our ideas, debate our positions and develop our theory and praxis. They help us to believe in better worlds and start to lay the foundations of a world free of oppression, corporatism and the brutal authority of the state.

In respect to the events in 2017 where transphobic material was shared in the women’s bathrooms and the main hall, we wish to state that the Bookfair 2020 will follow our comrades from Bristol, Manchester, Liverpool, Edinburgh and elsewhere in providing a space diverse in character and secure from xenophobia and bigotry in any vein.

Our solidarity is overt and complete. Any politic which would seek to oppress, undermine or remove the rights and liberties of others is anathematic to Anarchism and will find no welcome nor tolerance at the bookfair itself or any associated event or space.

We do this to be clear that no aspect of oppression will be allowed within our revolutionary spaces.

Solidarity and unity being key principles to Anarchism, we would like the 2020 Bookfair to act as a focal point for re-building cohesion in our community, fostering new networks and developing stronger ties and understanding between us, both in the UK and internationally. Sharing knowledge and supporting each others’ personal and political development in good faith is the call of the day. We shall ensure an array of workshops to cater for this and we shall host speakers on a variety of topics.

If anyone wishes to get involved, we welcome volunteers from all backgrounds and abilities: both for this year's online version and for the years to come. Whether you are able/inclined to plan the logistics, help fundraise, promote the event or help us run everything on the day, please get in touch. If you have ideas for talks, workshops, discussions or stalls or simply wish to book a space, please do not hesitate to get in contact.

We hope you will join us on and together we can build a stronger more resilient community and forge a better future, one free of shackles of capitalism and the tyranny of the state and strengthen our bonds of international and intersectional solidarity, mutual aid and unity.

The artwork for this site was created by Never Come Down Comix

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

Email:- anarchistbookfairlondon(at)riseup.net

danny la rouge here is the programme:

Saturday 10:30 - 12:15Stop and Scrap Universal credit: where now for the campaign? (DPAC)
Saturday 12:15 - 13:00Stolen Anarchy: Playing Indian & The Roots of Collectivism (Twin Rabbit)
Saturday 13:00 - 14:00Discussion: Jean Weir's 'To The Deranged' (Forged Books)
Saturday 14:00 - 16:00Archiving Radical Spaces (Mayday Rooms)
Saturday 16:00 - 17:00Great Anarchists (Ruth Kinna)
Saturday 17:00 - 18:00Trauma, Tracksuits and Class Traitors (D.Hunter)
Saturday 18:00 - 19:00Fascism and Anti-fascism (12 Rules for WHAT)
Saturday 19:00 - 20:00Eco-fascism: The Rhetoric of the Virus (Jay Fraser and guests)
Saturday 20:00 - 21:00Talk on the Earth Strike campaign (Earth Strike)
Saturday 21:00 - 22:00Activist Cafe goes Bookfair 2020! (The Common House)
Sunday 10:00 - 10:30Transphobia is a Class issue (Anarchasteminist)
Sunday 10:30 - 11:00Capitalism, Welfare and the Making of a Human Catastrophe (Ellen Clifford)
Sunday 11:00 - 11:30Osugi Sakae's Life and Philosophy (Sasazuka Collective)
Sunday 11:30 - 12:30A talk with the Anarchist Library
Sunday 12:30 - 13:00Organise! Guide to design (Anarchist Federation)
Sunday 13:00 - 14:00Anarcho folk festivals: Who, what, when, where, how, and why (James Bar Bowen)
Sunday 14:00 - 15:00Challenging sexism, racism & class bias in the family courts (Legal Action for Women)
Sunday 15:00 - 16:00A Care Income for People & Planet! (Global Women's Strike)
Sunday 16:00 - 17:00DPAC Live Panel Discussion (DPAC)
Sunday 17:00 - 18:00An introduction to the Solidarity Federation (Solfed)
Sunday 18:00 - 19:00Sex Workers Fighting Police, Illegality, and Racism (ECP)
Sunday 19:00 - 20:00Talk on Turkey's Devrimci Anarşist Faaliyet (AF)
Sunday 20:00 - 21:00Green Solidarity – Learning from the GRASS experience (GAF)
Sunday 21:00 - 21:30Poetry with The Uptown Portrayer
Sunday 21:30 - 22:30Steve White and the Protest Family
the jean weir, anarchist library and mayday rooms meetings look interesting. but it's not a proper bookfair without martin wright imo. for ~20 years there's been an ian bone / martin wright collaboration, martin on his own or with lisa mckenzie and for me most years that's been the highlight of the day.

Yeah. Sorry. I was tired and grumpy.

I'm glad something is happening. But sad that most of it is of little interest to me.

Hopefully others will get more out of it.

You could give that workshop a miss and watch one of the other ones. Or turn up with your non anarchist friends and troll it until you get kicked off and then get Julie Bindel to write a piece in The Spectator on how you were viciously silenced by woke thugs. So there's options.

You could give that workshop a miss and watch one of the other ones. Or turn up with your non anarchist friends and troll it until you get kicked off and then get Julie Bindel to write a piece in The Spectator on how you were viciously silenced by woke thugs. So there's options.
Well I wouldn't know about any of that, not being a friend of Julie Burchill and not having contacts at the Spectator. I do however have some non-anarchist friends. But thanks for all the friendly advice.

Well I wouldn't know about any of that, not being a friend of Julie Burchill and not having contacts at the Spectator. I do however have some non-anarchist friends. But thanks for all the friendly advice.

Do think you comment about transphobia not being a class issue needs a bit of unpicking. Surely it depends on how it's situated in a political context? Like it could be (which I assume this workshop will cover given its title. Who knows, it might even be an anti-ID politics presentation) or it could be discussed from a more liberal perspective of rights etc.?

Do think you comment about transphobia not being a class issue needs a bit of unpicking. Surely it depends on how it's situated in a political context? Like it could be (which I assume this workshop will cover given its title. Who knows, it might even be an anti-ID politics presentation) or it could be discussed from a more liberal perspective of rights etc.?
All quite possible. But the background to all this, as I'm sure you know, is of debate being closed down, of accusations of transphobia being flung around like confetti and of intimidation and attempts to stop meetings etc. There's also been accusations of misogyny from both sides. Not all of this, probably not much at all, has come from anarchists, but some has. What bothers me is that most women I know who have expressed opinions on the matter would be classed as transphobes by some, which they would deny. These are all women left of centre, anarchist, communist, SWP, Green Party, Labour Party. Their voices are largely unheard because they have not been consulted. Now it seems there is only one voice allowed in the anarchist movement. I think that's crap.

Their voices are largely unheard because they have not been consulted. Now it seems there is only one voice allowed in the anarchist movement. I think that's crap.

Trans critical discourse has been predominant for twenty years in the UK - where blogs that were once considered fringe and extreme now get quoted as mainstream, the Grauniad ramping it up with Bindel and Burchill, the Mail, to the Times, Telegraph, New Statesman, Spectator, and Spiked all at it the last few years. Woman's Place, Fairplay for Women, and supposed 'left' people have been readily engaging with Tory MPs, right-wing press, and contrarian dicks for three years - whether it be stickering campaigns to make trans people feel unwelcome even in LGBT areas such as Canal Street, and going all the way to the government to try and derail any changes to trans rights and stoke up fear.

Now, I've been standing outside of this as much as possible as its been a saddening situation all round both personally and politically, but seriously, sod off with this bizarre regurgitating that trans critical (bordering on transphobic) voices haven't been heard. Bullshit.

And whilst I'm personally pretty unfazed by it, when I can't go to a radical space or bookfair without having flyers thrown at me with deliberately provocative shit in them - not intended to have an 'honest debate' but basically to stir up division, just fuck off with this nonsense.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom