Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

LGBT in schools vs religious parents

It irritates me and some others of my generatio that a word that we fought against people using when we were young is now a word that some people regard as being the correct term to use. I am referring to "queer".

Have any of the posters you've labelled as transphobic on this thread done that?

If so, you can point out where; if not, maybe you'd be better off not making so many ridiculous and unsubstantiated accusations.

I wasn’t sure whether the “I have concerns” crowd were posting on this thread.

funny how the ' i have concerns crowd' immediately go to refering to transgender women as 'intact men ' and implying they are rapists
I don't doubt some do. But I'm not talking about that 'crowd'. There are those who use their 'concerns' just to promote a clearly transphobic agenda and those that have concerns, doubts or are asking out of ignorance. I am talking about the latter, but then I'm sure you know this.

I don't doubt some do. But I'm not talking about that 'crowd'. There are those who use their 'concerns' just to promote a clearly transphobic agenda and those that have concerns, doubts or are asking out of ignorance. I am talking about the latter, but then I'm sure you know this.
as we've seen in this thread recently someone who was lauded as 'decent' and ' likely to be your ally' is spouting David Bell's transphobic points and therefore promoting Blanchardism and outright exclusionary behaviour

Which transphobic points? :confused:
it's almost as though you haven;t read the last few pages of the threre where 'Spymaster' was claiming that 'little baby jesus' wasa trans ally , and 'little baby jesus' was saying that Daivd Bell had good and valid points ...

David Bell who has no clinical experience with trans people gregardless of age yet is trotted out by the likes of the Christian Legal centre as an expert of childhood Gender Incongruence and has links with far right funded transphobic groups

it's almost as though you haven;t read the last few pages of the threre where 'Spymaster' was claiming that 'little baby jesus' wasa trans ally , and 'little baby jesus' was saying that Daivd Bell had good and valid points ...

It's like you're reading a different thread to everyone else.

David Bell who has no clinical experience with trans people gregardless of age yet is trotted out by the likes of the Christian Legal centre as an expert of childhood Gender Incongruence and has links with far right funded transphobic groups

You said someone was spouting David Bell’s transphobic points.

I’ve been reading the thread and saw no transphobic points spouted.

Which ones?

as we've seen in this thread recently someone who was lauded as 'decent' and ' likely to be your ally' is spouting David Bell's transphobic points and therefore promoting Blanchardism and outright exclusionary behaviour
Can you not do this please, say someone is likely to be my ally when I know nothing about them (and i know fuckall about David Bell). For fuck sake, I broadly support the TRA side, not the GCs. You'd start a row in an empty room.

I wouldn't waste your time tbh! It's all larks to some sadly

For sure. It's not clear whether they're actively backing/financing her, or just weighing-in with their opinion though.

At the Employment Tribunal hearing on the 21st-25th September 2020 Kristie Higgs was represented by Pavel Stroilov, a member of the Christian Legal Centre. Online judgement. (pdf)

After the judgement was issued the Falun Gong paper The Epoch Times quoted Andrea Williams the Chief Executive of the Christian Legal Centre
“We are currently drafting the exact grounds for appeal but they will be that to find Kristie was not being discriminated [against] was wrong in law,” Andrea Williams CEO of Christian Concern’s Christian Legal Centre told the Epoch Times.

I see no reason to doubt that the CLC is using it's funds to help her pursue this case and is 'assisting' and 'advising' her in instructing solicitors.

Like many other people, I imagine, I became aware of the CLC over their disgusting role in the Alfie Evans case. Pavel Stroilov attracted considerable criticism over his involvement in that.

Here's a 2018 blog post by Giles Peaker a partner at Anthony Gold Solicitors which questions the CLCs actions and singles him out:
On the Naughty Step - the questionable ethics of the Christian Legal Centre - Nearly Legal: Housing Law News and Comment

And here is an archived Daily Mail article tearing him a new one:
Judge slams 'fanatical and deluded' legal adviser to Alfie Evans' parents who wants to launch private murder prosecution if the boy dies but 'doesn't have his best interests at heart' - Daily Mail Online

From this post, in which Bell's participation in an anti-trans conference leads him to put up a frankly bizarre graph offering every kook explanation for why people are trans except the one trans people actually say.

I’m not too sure whether something has gone wonky there. I land on a post that doesn’t even refer to a conference.

I did find a post nearby with a link to a Medium article (which I haven’t read yet) in it. Do you mean that?

You said someone was spouting David Bell’s transphobic points.

I’ve been reading the thread and saw no transphobic points spouted.

Which ones?

LBJ endorsed David Bell as someone who has sensible thing to say on this subject. I don't think it's unreasonable to see that as promoting bigotry in much the same way as if someone said you should listen to Tommy Robinson, he's got sensible things to say about immigration or Islam.

Bell's association with Genspect, a deeply transphobic organisation who are pushing to end all trans healthcare for young people as well as young and 'vulnerable' adults, reveals his stance on this subject. As do his cranky opinions about what causes people to be trans which are not based on any published evidence and certainly not based on how trans and gender incongruent people describe their experiences of gender.

Like many in the medical and psychiatric establishment when it comes to this issue he is just spouting off any hot take that comes into his head to explain transness. And given his role that causes trans people harm. It also mirrors the experiences of many trans people when they try to access (not even trans related) healthcare and therapeutic services. It's like every non trans-supportive medical professional seems to have a pet theory about this which has little basis in evidence but which they just can't wait to use to undermine what trans people say about themselves. His transphobia may not reach the open hatefulness of someone like Posie Parker, but in many ways it is much more damaging.

I’m not too sure whether something has gone wonky there. I land on a post that doesn’t even refer to a conference.

I did find a post nearby with a link to a Medium article (which I haven’t read yet) in it. Do you mean that?

The link:

is to the conference report in which the diagram ...

1706978541078.png

... which is referenced in the quote block, appears. I can't see any way in which said diagram is ambiguous in its positioning, it offers no vision of why trans people do what they do which doesn't involve some form on insult to their collective character and mental health.

Last edited:
Can you not do this please, say someone is likely to be my ally when I know nothing about them (and i know fuckall about David Bell). For fuck sake, I broadly support the TRA side, not the GCs. You'd start a row in an empty room.
I wasn't talking about you unless you are part of other posters sock drawer

The link:

is to the conference report in which the diagram ...

View attachment 410747

... which is referenced in the quote block, appears. I can't see any way in which said diagram is ambiguous in its positioning, it offers no vision of why trans people do what they do which doesn't involve some form on insult to their collective character and mental health.

Thanks - yeah - I got to it after a bit of a look. See edit on last post. :thumbs:

The diagram looks pretty nonsensical to me, but then I’ve no clue what kind of spiel goes with it.

It doesn’t seem to match anything that was said by a poster on this thread, though.

Aside from your mention of the “body as machine” thing. Obv you weren’t endorsing whatever the idea was…

Last edited:
It doesn’t seem to match anything that was said by a poster on this thread, though.
I think that was a reference to LBJ suggesting Bell was a reasonable critical figure. I'd not be entirely surprised if LBJ had only seen a public-facing bit from Bell which sounded more reasonable, a lot of these types will have two spiels, one for the undecided or lesser-decided public and one for the insiders.

I think that was a reference to LBJ suggesting Bell was a reasonable critical figure. I'd not be entirely surprised if LBJ had only seen a public-facing bit from Bell which sounded more reasonable, a lot of these types will have two spiels, one for the undecided or lesser-decided public and one for the insiders.

Yeah, the Bell that emerges later on seems to have a lot more certainty going on than the one LBJ seemed to be talking about.

Thanks - yeah - I got to it after a bit of a look. See edit on last post. :thumbs:

The diagram looks pretty nonsensical to me, but then I’ve no clue what kind of spiel goes with it.

No, but the person who produced that image was recommended by someone as a person who has sensible things to say about this (in contrast presumably to trans people and trans supportive healthcare workers themselves). Do you not understand why that might get some people's backs up?

I think one issue that does crop up a lot is that what we do as, essentially, lay people is dip into what's going on and pick up what we think are reasonable points, while people embedded in the topic know a whole load of extra background. So it's easy to get to a stage where someone cites a figure and the response is "oh you're a disciple of ..." etc.

Like Norman Finklestein on Gaza recently - loads of people repeating his well-researched and reasonable bits while others who know his background are very much "oh ffs not that guy."

No, but the person who produced that image was recommended by someone as a person who has sensible things to say about this (in contrast presumably to trans people and trans supportive healthcare workers themselves). Do you not understand why that might get some people's backs up?

Well, kind of, but not to the degree where they start seeing comments that haven’t been made.

The right wingers "ah, but can you say what a woman is!" is nothing more than a political gotcha. Spymaster and others who want to make it about "what is or isn’t a woman" are playing into that.

I've "played into" nothing, Serge. Other than my own view of what does and doesn't constitute "a woman" I've been wholly supportive of trans people, save for certain behaviour by individuals.

Nobody working in a school should lose their job for expressing an opinion (however repugnant) away from work.

However, if there is reason to believe that those opinions are brought into work and may manifest in harmful actions (and especially concerns around safeguarding) then actions does need to be taken.
Disagree tbh.
If a member or supporter of a group like Britain First, BNP, C18 etc. is seen on one of their demonstrations or is leafleting for them (in their own time) I would be for sacking them if they worked in a school.

With those views it would be impossible for them to treat all the kids and their families fairly or equally and I would not trust them near my kids if they were at the same school

Back
Top Bottom