Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

LGBT in schools vs religious parents

No, I don't believe in forcing views on children. Whether by the state or by the parents.

But by attending school, rather than being taught by their parents, at least those children will meet people from other backgrounds and with other views, which may then lead to them questioning what their parents are force-feeding them.
not to mention their teachers

No, I don't believe in forcing views on children. Whether by the state or by the parents.

But by attending school, rather than being taught by their parents, at least those children will meet people from other backgrounds and with other views, which may then lead to them questioning what their parents are force-feeding them.
What about cumpuslory sex/sexuality education? Surely parents should be able to remove their kids from those classes if they disagree with what's being taught in them, even if what's being taught is tolerance?

What about cumpuslory sex/sexuality education? Surely parents should be able to remove their kids from those classes if they disagree with what's being taught in them, even if what's being taught is tolerance?
what about if they disagree with the way the history of the arab-zionist entity conflict's being taught? or if they feel there's undue lasciviousness in the books being read for english? where do you draw the line on what classes parents should and be able to withdraw their children from?

what about if they disagree with the way the history of the arab-zionist entity conflict's being taught? or if they feel there's undue lasciviousness in the books being read for english? where do you draw the line on what classes parents should and be able to withdraw their children from?
Yes, good question and I don't know the answer. It goes both ways too. If you agree that kids should be taught sex education, how far should it go?

America belive s children are parents property UK believes children have rights.
The state also believes having people grow up learning to treat others with tolerance is a good thing.

Clearly the answer can be found in the market. Privatised schools should be compelled to operate in some Rothbardian/'Summerhill' type pay-per-lesson attended manner. Then these knowledge delivery corporations would only succeed if they provided lesson content agreeable to the largest number of customers (pupils/parents in the old language).

Should they be able to remove their kids from science class because it doesn't fit with their religious views?
I think science is far less controversial than sex but it's still a point. What about sex outside marriage, should that be discussed in schools? What should they teach about it? If you take a liberal view of it do you think it's ok for teachers to tell 14 year old girls from religious backgrounds that it's ok, when their entire lives they've been told something completely different by supposed mentors in their societies?

I think science is far less controversial than sex but it's still a point. What about sex outside marriage, should that be discussed in schools? What should they teach about it? If you take a liberal view of it do you think it's ok for teachers to tell 14 year old girls from religious backgrounds that it's ok, when their entire lives they've been told something completely different by supposed mentors in their societies?
why is science less controversial than sex? what about when science declared homosexuality a disease?

Almost like you've never before considered the political nature of curriculum design.

Not what I meant. You'll have a hard job convincing me that as they're taught, chemistry et al, are as controversial as sex education among religious types.
As Pickman's said there's evolution, big no no for some types. Alongside that also goes a bunch of space science etc etc, which all ties in together. If you believe the earth is only x thousand years old all that stuff should go out the window for the believers.

I find it interesting how that became such a major bugbear when lots of other scientific stuff gets accepted and so much other stuff just gets set aside, or seen as metaphorical.
Pretty obvious why innit, takes God out of the equation if you want - although the Catholics etc integrated it into their cosmology.

Pretty obvious why innit, takes God out of the equation if you want - although the Catholics etc integrated it into their cosmology.

Well, you still need a universe in the first place and a whole heap of other things need to be just so before the process will kick off.
I agree it makes atheism a little easier, though.

There is also the continuity between us and other animals, that certainly gets their goat (and their chimpanzee).

Not what I meant. You'll have a hard job convincing me that as they're taught, chemistry et al, are as controversial as sex education among religious types.

How about the Giant's Causeway controversy. Here's how young earth creationism would have it contextualised, alongside a compromise version that was reached:
Giants+Causeway+Text.jpg

Because evolution directly undermines a fundamentalist approach to a holy text.

Catholics arnt bothered by evolution umpteen billion years or 7 days makes little difference to god even the missing link doesn't phase them the god made us. Evolution might describe the method he used personally I think this is a bollocks argument.
But hangs together better than young earth ever will.

How about the Giant's Causeway controversy. Here's how young earth creationism would have it contextualised, alongside a compromise version that was reached:
Giants+Causeway+Text.jpg
That's the NT saying "some people think something else, we think they're wrong".

Fine with that.

Because evolution directly undermines a fundamentalist approach to a holy text.

There were lots of other challenges that were adapted to, but all that really lingers among the "not-so-fundies" is homophobia and creationism (some of the fundies have a lot of other quirks, varying by group). They are both linked to sex, which is going to play a part I guess.

That's the NT saying "some people think something else, we think they're wrong".

Fine with that.

When I was in a biology lesson back in the 80s our teacher began a lesson with "As we all know, the Earth and all of the kinds of life forms on it were created several thousands years back by God over the course of a week. Here's another take on things which a lot of people have found interesting...".

Seemed to placate everyone nicely.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think 14 year old girls are told by their teachers that it's fine for them to have sex.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think 14 year old girls are told by their teachers that it's fine for them to have sex.
That's not what I said though is it? It was an example, in this case sex outside of marriage. These kind of questions are going to arise if sex education is taught in schools. What should 14 years olds be taught in school about extramarital sex if their parents are religious and reject all notion of sex before marriage?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom