Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

LGBT in schools vs religious parents

Home schooling will and must start and become more common because a lot of people, all races, but mainly religious, don't want their kids to be taught LGBT ideology at young age.

The left may win over these people, but probably they wont.

It will be forced down in an authoritarian way, with state propaganda, hate speech laws, demonisation of any one who voices even doubt about it.
in a way, to reject LGBT ideology is to become counter cultural, against the status quo.

Anarchists really should have no say about schooling at all, since they claim to reject the state.
But they don't really, because anarchism is not really anti state, it just pretends to be. home schooling is a difficult process.

what is this 'mask' slipping meant to mean?

I wish people wouldn't stop insinuating that I'm a fascist. I'm not.

Love is Love! what a great mantra. I really believe in it, i really do.

That's not what I said though is it? It was an example, in this case sex outside of marriage. These kind of questions are going to arise if sex education is taught in schools. What should 14 years olds be taught in school about extra marital sex if their parents are religious and reject all notion of sex before marriage?
That it exists, how people who engage in it should act to protect themselves and others from STDs and pregnancy, what consent looks and sounds like and so on. None of that needs to encourage extra/pre-marital sex any more than learning about the Holocaust should encourage genocide.

Home schooling will and must start and become more common because a lot of people, all races, but mainly religious, don't want their kids to be taught LGBT ideology at young age.

The left may win over these people, but probably they wont.

It will be forced down in an authoritarian way, with state propaganda, hate speech laws, demonisation of any one who voices even doubt about it.
in a way, to reject LGBT ideology is to become counter cultural, against the status quo.

Anarchists really should have no say about schooling at all, since they claim to reject the state.
But they don't really, because anarchism is not really anti state, it just pretends to be. home schooling is a difficult process.

what is this 'mask' slipping meant to mean?

I wish people wouldn't stop insinuating that I'm a fascist. I'm not.

Love is Love! what a great mantra. I really believe in it, i really do.
Yes, of course people that home school for religious reasons tend to come from a libertarian, anti-authoritarian tradition... :hmm:

That it exists, how people who engage in it should act to protect themselves and others from STDs and pregnancy, what consent looks and sounds like and so on. None of that needs to encourage extra/pre-marital sex any more than learning about the Holocaust should encourage genocide.
But the parents are telling them something rather different; that it's wrong. Should the school impede the moral judgement?

Yes, of course people that home school for religious reasons tend to come from a libertarian, anti-authoritarian tradition... :hmm:

There are a few who do, to be fair.
Not many as far as I know, though.

Maybe they're off-grid. :hmm:

But the parents are telling them something rather different; that it's wrong. Should the school impede the moral judgement?

They don't have to impede any moral judgments. They just have to keep all of their kids safe from abuse and harassment.

They don't have to impede any moral judgments. They just have to keep all of their kids safe from abuse and harassment.
Ok, so going back to lgbt issues does that mean no moral calls will be taught there either? Kids not to be taught that homosexuality is normal/acceptable?

Ok, so going back to lgbt issues does that mean no moral calls will be taught there either? Kids not to be taught that homosexuality is normal/acceptable?

It is normal/acceptable.
The kids from these families will know this due to having been taught it at home.

It's a fallen world.

I think you have to separate out two things here - factual learning and moral learning. IMO schools should teach all manner of subjects with a view to doing two things: equipping kids with solid subject matter knowledge, and with the ability to think critically and learn independently. With that in mind I don't think schools should press a moral standpoint. They should certainly teach kids about the nature and history of legislation and social mores around tricky subjects such as LGBT and sexuality more widely. And if you give kids a mental apparatus for thinking critically (in itself a moral choice some would argue), then let the kids figure it out themselves.

Not to religious families. So the suggestion is that the schools teach kids that their parents and communities are wrong.
Can't be helped sometimes. If your parents are flat-earther, anti-vaxxer conspiraloons should their kids not be taught that the earth is round and that vaccines are not the Jews attempting global mind-control?

Not to religious families. So the suggestion is that the schools teach kids that their parents, and large parts of their cultures and communities are wrong. That's a massive thing to many people.

Oh, do try to read the posts properly.

edit: though to be fair, my post was a little Christian-centric - I think TruXta has it right here

Can't be helped sometimes. If your parents are flat-earther, anti-vaxxer conspiraloons should their kids not be taught that the earth is round and that vaccines are not the Jews attempting global mind-control?
Yes. Probably. But it's again a question of degree and as you said above, seperating fact from morality issues. The world is not flat and that's scientifically provable. Whether or not homosexuality, sex before marriage, abortion, etc, are right or wrong is a whole different ball game.

So nothing really, except to say that the specific physical features of a thing are of little relevance to a Creationist.
Well, that's not my experience with a lot creationists (personal and online etc) - many are really keen to disprove evolution using quasi-scientific arguments. I grew up with/around Jehovah's, and they're dead keen on all that shite. Of course pointing out to them that them trying to use science to disprove science means they're implicitly accepting the validity of the scientific method doesn't get me very far... :facepalm:

Well, that's not my experience with a lot creationists (personal and online etc) - many are really keen to disprove evolution using quasi-scientific arguments. I grew up with/around Jehovah's, and they're dead keen on all that shite. Of course pointing out to them that them trying to use science to disprove science means they're implicitly accepting the validity of the scientific method doesn't get me very far... :facepalm:

They don't use science - it's more of a cargo-cult imitation of science.
But those mountains in the illustrated Bible look millions of years old, even in Genesis, so in the end you can't win in the "age of the earth" game.

Yes. Probably. But it's again a question of degree and as you said above, seperating fact from morality issues. The world is not flat and that's scientifically provable. Whether or not homosexuality, sex before marriage, abortion, etc, are right or wrong is a whole different ball game.
There's lots of facts about non-hetero sex that can be taught to kids that would have a potential impact on their moral judgment - for instance that animals also engage in it.

They don't use science - it's more of a cargo-cult imitation of science.
But those mountains in the illustrated Bible look millions of years old, even in Genesis, so in the end you can't win in the "age of the earth" game.
That's why I said "quasi-scientific" :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom