Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lambeth Council Watch - news and updates about the 'co-operative' council

Hello, I'm new to these boards so it's highly likely I'm posting in the wrong place.
I live in one of three high-rise council blocks on Kennington Road that received.notice in November (in the middle of the second lockdown) that our gas supply for cooking is to be permanently removed, after over thirty years of uninterrupted supply. While health and safety is the reason given, I suspect a more honest reason is the financial cost of replacing the gas risers in the buildings which are now up for renewal.
The national gas supplier, Cadent, (and not Lambeth who are responsible for pipes within dwellings) are responsible for maintaining and replacing gas risers. (Cadent are offering compensation to pay for replacement electric cooking appliances).
I suspect Cadent informed Lambeth that some building safety work was required before risers could be upgraded and between the two of them, they've agreed to withdraw supply of a major utility, instead of spending the required money on the buildings.
All this without consultation or reference to the consumers who'll be affected. Summary disconnection, in effect. Affecting more than 170 dwellings and, I suspect, over 300 people.
I'm wondering if any other Lambeth residents have experienced this or if anyone knows of any successful complaints/protests against this kinda heavy handed behaviour?
Thanks for listening.

Hello, I'm new to these boards so it's highly likely I'm posting in the wrong place.
I live in one of three high-rise council blocks on Kennington Road that received.notice in November (in the middle of the second lockdown) that our gas supply for cooking is to be permanently removed, after over thirty years of uninterrupted supply. While health and safety is the reason given, I suspect a more honest reason is the financial cost of replacing the gas risers in the buildings which are now up for renewal.
The national gas supplier, Cadent, (and not Lambeth who are responsible for pipes within dwellings) are responsible for maintaining and replacing gas risers. (Cadent are offering compensation to pay for replacement electric cooking appliances).
I suspect Cadent informed Lambeth that some building safety work was required before risers could be upgraded and between the two of them, they've agreed to withdraw supply of a major utility, instead of spending the required money on the buildings.
All this without consultation or reference to the consumers who'll be affected. Summary disconnection, in effect. Affecting more than 170 dwellings and, I suspect, over 300 people.
I'm wondering if any other Lambeth residents have experienced this or if anyone knows of any successful complaints/protests against this kinda heavy handed behaviour?
Thanks for listening.
Have you tried contacting your local councillor?

Have you tried contacting your local councillor?
Thanks for your prompt reply.
I'm leaning more towards my MP as I cannot help believing local councillors must be aware of the situation (and may even have been involved in its approval).
Without making excuses, lockdown has not been kind for me. I rarely leave home and have been in almost completely isolation since April. And I've hardly been online either.
But those few times I have been online, I'm
mostly surprised at the absence of similar situations re gas removal - nationwide.
I plan to lodge a formal complaint with the council (it's taken me five days to draft one) and copy in my MP and CAB. But thought I'd check here (found your site today looking for and failing to find North Lambeth Housing Forum), in case anyone knew of any more meat I might add to the bone before submission.
I've spoken to three tenants with similar concerns, all feeling railroaded and obligated. It's the deafening silence that's raising the biggest red flag. (Nothing on social media, local press, etc).
Tried TRA but they're primarily leaseholders, not driven to support major works projects for fear of being lumbered with costs.
Thanks, again.

I'm leaning more towards my MP as I cannot help believing local councillors must be aware of the situation (and may even have been involved in its approval).
Without making excuses, lockdown has not been kind for me. I rarely leave home and have been in almost completely isolation since April. And I've hardly been online either.
mostly surprised at the absence of similar situations re gas removal - nationwide.
I plan to lodge a formal complaint with the council (it's taken me five days to draft one) and copy in my MP and CAB. But thought I'd check here (found your site today looking for and failing to find North Lambeth Housing Forum), in case anyone knew of any more meat I might add to the bone before submission.
I've spoken to three tenants with similar concerns, all feeling railroaded and obligated. It's the deafening silence that's raising the biggest red flag. (Nothing on social media, local press, etc).
Tried TRA but they're primarily leaseholders, not driven to support major works projects for fear of being lumbered with costs.
Thanks, again.
Not all councillors are the same. I really think this should be your first port of call, if only to eliminate them as useless!

Thanks, again.

Local Cllrs might not be aware of this. A lot happens in Councils by the Council bureaucracy. If you tell the local Cllrs about this they should request more informtion from Council officers. As Cllrs officers have to reply to them.

I agree with Ed contact Cllrs first. If no joy with them then contact MP. An MP is likely to ask if you have told local Cllrs about your problem.

Cooking with electricity is likely to cost more at this time. So another issue is cost.

I totally sympathise with the feeling of being railroaded. Why Lambeth can't communicate with people like a grown up professional is beyond me. But before you invest a lot of time in it, would electric cooking be terrible? Given the choice I would never have had an old style electric hob over gas but, since moving to a home with no gas, now use induction and love it. My understanding is that which is the cheaper is not constant, it varies with energy price fluctuations. Induction is safer, greener and much easier to clean. It is not everyone's bag but it is very responsive and easy to cook with. Looks like gas boilers are likely to be phased out in favour of electric shortly and I suspect that will extend to all appliances as govt tries to meet carbon targets. If Cadent are going to pay towards new appliances might it be worth thinking about going with it.

It’s right to contact your councillors first because it’s a council issue and the MP will only forward it onto them for a response anyway. The lack of consultation on something of that scale sounds bad
Thanks, again.
The advice about contacting your councillors in the first instance is correct because it’s a council issue so the MP would have to pass it on to then to respond anyway. I’m surprised there was no consultation so it’s worth double checking with the TRA to confirm there definitely wasn’t one, then you could be clear in your complaint to the council. It’s also true that going forward all of us will have to get used to electric over gas because of the climate crisis, so that night also be part of their reasoning, but I’d wait to get a response from the council and then talk to your neighbors and see what others think. I would imagine more would be in favour of the swap to electric than not though to be honest because of the environmental impact

There is some more information here Serco poised for £118m Lambeth waste contract - letsrecycle.com

I only looked it up because of the Channel Four documentary alleging much recycling stuff is actually burnt - nationwide.
I know Veolia run the SELCHP facility at Millwall and also one in Bromley, so it is said.

I have been to Veolia's recycling facilities in Southwark and Wandsworth - the lattrer serving us currently.

According to the article I have posted Serco do rubbish in Richmond and Hammersmith.
Post COVID I would like to inspect their facilities.

Thank you
Even if the TRA is Leaseholder centric, the constitution on which it is set up demands that it should be inclusive and open to all residents. They will certainly be aware of the history of any consultations, particularly as Leaseholders who will have been informed about Section 20 notices warning them of costs.
This will be an M&E project perhaps in the remit of Errol Jattor in the North Area Office on Kennington Lane. If not him, he should know who. Cadent may well have a conversation with you if you can find the right people to contact.
Good luck

Hi everyone - I'm pleased to say that we were succesful in our opposition to the proposed digital billboard on Brixton Road. There were over 40 objections submitted and we collected more than 200 signatures for our petition. Thanks to all of you who signed or objected last month - your contribution was invaluable. The decision can be found here:

I'll keep you updated on any future Adblock Lambeth projects.

Many thanks

Christopher
Adblock Lambeth

Hi everyone - I'm pleased to say that we were succesful in our opposition to the proposed digital billboard on Brixton Road. There were over 40 objections submitted and we collected more than 200 signatures for our petition. Thanks to all of you who signed or objected last month - your contribution was invaluable. The decision can be found here:

I'll keep you updated on any future Adblock Lambeth projects.

Many thanks

Christopher
Adblock Lambeth
Says:

Document Unavailable
This document is unavailable for viewing at this time.

Had a quick look on the council website but haven't seen any sign of councillors quitting in order to run their by election with the Assembly/Mayoral one in May.

I have to say I had assumed someone would, just as a feeling.

Don’t agree with them on traffic things, but they’re people’s audit and cressingham aren’t they, so have my support.

Thank you.
Please don't take OneLambeth's LTN stance as indicative of the position that either Save Cressingham or People's Audit have. It's a bit more complex/confused than that! :D

Local politics brixtonbuzz.com/2021/04/green-opposition-group-at-lambeth-council-repeat-call-to-replace-the-progress-cabinet-with-a-system-of-local-committees/

Back
Top Bottom