Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lambeth Council elections 2022

Sad the Greens lost seats. Interesting to see LibDem comeback. Lot's of new faces in the Labour Group, do we know anything about the ideological makeup? (though I think I can guess.)

So - how did "Old Rabbie's Almanack" prediction fare?

Clapham Abbeville - Three way fight - 1 incumbent Tory (Tim Briggs), 2 incumbent Labour, but Lib Dems have been running guerrilla campaign for some time. Too close to call
Correct Lib Dems Gained One Labour Held One Tories Lost One
Clapham Town
- Labour being challenged by Tories - probably Labour hold with reduced majority
Correct Labour Held Two
Myatts Field
Labour but some Green activity in part of former Coldharbour - Labour hold
Correct
Waterloo and South Bank
- Labour being challenged by Lib Dems - no sign of Tories - probable Labour hold with reduced majority?
Correct but unduly pessimistic - Labour held but Lib Dems were closer than I expected
Herne Hill and Loughborough Junction
- Labour being strongly challenged by Greens, but Labour campaigning seriously. Too close to call
Wrong - overoptimistic about the Green campaign
Brixton North - Labour being challenged by Greens who have a surprisingly strong campaign. Labour hold
Correct
Brixton Windrush -
Labour being challenged by Greens in what was their better part of former Coldharbour ward. Labour hold with reduced majority?
West Dulwich - Don't know much about on the ground campaigning - Lib Dems have done well in past in former Thurlow Park ward. Labour hold.
Wrong - overestimated Lib Dem strength, underestimated the baseline Green vote although both were some distance off Labour.
Gipsy Hill
- Labour being strongly challenged by Greens - minimal Tory campaign, no Lib Dem campaign. Possible Green gain?
Wrong - overoptimistic about the Green campaign Labour got all three seats
Streatham Wells
- Labour being challenged by Lib Dems - probably Labour hold with reduced majority
So so - think the Labour majority held up even though Lib Dems now more clearly challenger party
St Leonard's
- 3 Green councillors being challenged by Corbynite Labour candidates (?!?) No sign of Tory or Lib Dem campaign Green hold?
Partly Wrong - Labour gained one Greens only held two
Streatham Hill West and Thornton
- Labour being strongly challenged by Lib Dems. Former Thornton ward had two close fought by-elections in 2019. No sign of Tories. Possible Lib Dem gain?
Correct - Lib Dems gained two seats
Streatham Hill East
- Labour being challenged by Tories on anti-LTN ticket Probably Labour hold with reduced majority
So so - Tory vote considerably below what I expected.

On the Lib Dem facing ones, as you might expect, I had some insider knowledge. My Green contacts sadly proved to be rather over-optimistic, and I think their campaign spread itself too thinly. I was too worried by the Tories' prospects where they were running anti-LTN campaigns, which proves you should never confuse Twitter activity with real life

Last edited:
Sad the Greens lost seats. Interesting to see LibDem comeback. Lot's of new faces in the Labour Group, do we know anything about the ideological makeup? (though I think I can guess.)
One assumes they are to the right - but in that case how did Bell Ribeiro-Addy get selected to stand for Streatham constituency?

Hope Briggs realises his phoney culture wars don’t work in Lambeth. It was always a bizarre route to take especially for Clapham.

One assumes they are to the right - but in that case how did Bell Ribeiro-Addy get selected to stand for Streatham constituency?

It was the local membership that got Bell to stand as candidate.

Needs to be remembered that Chuka when he sought the seat was up against Steve Reed. Steve Reed the Uber Blairite successful leader of Lambeth Council. Bags more experience than Chuka. At that time Chuka had positioned himself as Soft Left Compass supporting anti Iraq war. As opposed to New Labour Reed. He moved to the right later on.

The membership choose Chuka. The membership have tradition of being to the left of the Labour Group.

So - how did "Old Rabbie's Almanack" prediction fare?

Clapham Abbeville - Three way fight - 1 incumbent Tory (Tim Briggs), 2 incumbent Labour, but Lib Dems have been running guerrilla campaign for some time. Too close to call
Correct Lib Dems Gained One Labour Held One Tories Lost One
Clapham Town
- Labour being challenged by Tories - probably Labour hold with reduced majority
Correct Labour Held Two
Myatts Field
Labour but some Green activity in part of former Coldharbour - Labour hold
Correct
Waterloo and South Bank
- Labour being challenged by Lib Dems - no sign of Tories - probable Labour hold with reduced majority?
Correct but unduly pessimistic - Labour held but Lib Dems were closer than I expected
Herne Hill and Loughborough Junction
- Labour being strongly challenged by Greens, but Labour campaigning seriously. Too close to call
Brixton North - Labour being challenged by Greens who have a surprisingly strong campaign. Labour hold
Correct
Brixton Windrush -
Labour being challenged by Greens in what was their better part of former Coldharbour ward. Labour hold with reduced majority?
West Dulwich - Don't know much about on the ground campaigning - Lib Dems have done well in past in former Thurlow Park ward. Labour hold.
Wrong - overestimated Lib Dem strength, underestimated the baseline Green vote although both were some distance off Labour.
Gipsy Hill
- Labour being strongly challenged by Greens - minimal Tory campaign, no Lib Dem campaign. Possible Green gain?
Wrong - overoptimistic about the Green campaign Labour got all three seats
Streatham Wells
- Labour being challenged by Lib Dems - probably Labour hold with reduced majority
So so - think the Labour majority held up even though Lib Dems now more clearly challenger party
St Leonard's
- 3 Green councillors being challenged by Corbynite Labour candidates (?!?) No sign of Tory or Lib Dem campaign Green hold?
Partly Wrong - Labour gained one Greens only held two
Streatham Hill West and Thornton
- Labour being strongly challenged by Lib Dems. Former Thornton ward had two close fought by-elections in 2019. No sign of Tories. Possible Lib Dem gain?
Correct - Lib Dems gained two seats
Streatham Hill East
- Labour being challenged by Tories on anti-LTN ticket Probably Labour hold with reduced majority
So so - Tory vote considerably below what I expected.

On the Lib Dem facing ones, as you might expect, I had some insider knowledge. My Green contacts sadly proved to be rather over-optimistic, and I think their campaign spread itself too thinly. I was too worried by the Tory's prospects where they were running anti-LTN campaigns, which proves you should never confuse Twitter activity with real life

Surprised at how well LDs have done. Considering they lost all their seats due to national issues a while back. They have come back from no where.

Sadly disappointed that Greens have done poorly. They deserved better.

Unless one was following Council news I suppose one would not necessarily see what a good job they did in trying to hold this Labour Council to account. They did the work and asked the right questions. But the electorate don't necessarily see this.

They picked a topic - estate regeneration/ HFL and made a good case that their policy was different and better than the Labour groups. It didn't seem to translate into votes.

Despite the solid support the Greens had for Council housing this didn't translate into votes on the estates I think.

I don't think Council housing is safe under Labour.

Loss of Pete Elliot is particularly unfortunate.

I don't understand how a hard working Green party group lose seats and LDs can gain three when they have no track record. Nothing against LDs. But don't understand this.

Also Green have done well nationally. So it's surprise they didn't here in Lambeth.

As I said over on the other thread, I think Labour did so well BECAUSE of the LTN issue.
Anecdotally I know a lot of families who voted for them because they see this as a key green issue.
But I'm sad that those same people have not noticed how Lambeth Labour treats its constituents, particularly the most vulnerable. The LTNs can't make up for that.

Not sure if there was a large Corbyn "faction" as such. Several people I know re joined the Labour party due to Corbyn. They had left as the right had taken over the party. Iraq was one issue. How Cllr Rachel was treated was example how the hard right of party treat anyone who slightly differed from their point of view. The real "factionalist" are the right of party. When Corbyn was leader they weren't expelling members. In fact Steve Reed for example had a government post under Corbyn. The Right of the party are nasty and intolerant of others who don't agree with them 100%.

I did see a lot of new younger people at communitee meetings who I would say were Corbynites.They were very helpful and gave me hope things would change gradually. My niece in Plymouth joined at School. Now in last year of Uni. Has left the party due to Starmer. Says new leadership has treated the younger membership with contempt. So well done Labour they have just lost a swathe of young people.

The results seem to indicate a mix of local and national issues. Many people will not be aware of the council housing regeneration issue unless it affects them so the Greens struggle to get much visibility on this. The Lib Dems are reviving nationally so in Lambeth would seem to be the natural party of opposition irrespective of their local impact. Labour presumably getting credit for the very visible LTNs and not suffering for their shortcomings elsewhere (housing, governance model etc)

Martin Abrams was elected as sole Labour councillor alongside two incumbent Greens in Streatham St Leonards.
Got the impression his campaign team was Streatham Labour Left folk who would not have worked so hard for any of the other Labour candidates in central Streatham wards.

Is he related to Kingsley?

The story is not so bleak for the greens. In 2018 when we were Vassall, the 3 labour candidates were on 20-22% and the greens on about 5% of the vote.
Now we are myatts fields the 2 labour candidates polled 31% adn 32% and the greens did 11% and 9%

Nationally there has been a big gain for the greens which the press have done their best to ignore.

So a loss is a loss, but under the surface there is strong support for economic and environmental justice nationally, and locally there is clearly a significant left element that is not comfortable with progress. In an election cycle without the grim trifecta of johnson, patel, and look-at-me-truss to repel voters, Lambeth labour woudl be well advised to make moves toward the left of the party.

Looking just accross london, Im thrilled that the electorate basically rejected the ongoing racist (anti-khan) woke/snowflake pro-car nasty party stuff, and Im equally thrilled that these elements never learn!

Wel yes I voted Green not that I'm particularly that "Green" but because I can't stomach New Labour. If I'd been in ward with Abrams as candidate I'd have voted for Labour candidate like that.

As it was I'm in Brixton Windrush so have jobs for life Donatus and very nice but not rock the boat Scarlett.

Neither of whom are ever going to do anything if it upsets the supreme leader.

I'm just happy the Conservatives are off. Maybe now we'll get more London Tories advocating for PR at council level!

I'm just happy the Conservatives are off. Maybe now we'll get more London Tories advocating for PR at council level!
Note that Croydon just elected a Tory Mayor beating Val Shawcross by 600 votes.
Croydon's council election count starts tonight (Saturday 7th May) at 6.30 pm.
That's a two day wait for the count - makes Lambeth look lightning quick.

So mad isn't it.

Reactions: CH1
Anyway, interesting times, having an official opposition Lib Dem group again. Assumedly they and the Greens will play nice with each other more so than with Tim anyway.

Saw that. They brought in Shawcross to try and salvage the election.

Can't say I blame people for voting Tory in this case. The Labour lot acted like property developers.

I see Jo Negrini one of those responsible for bankrupting Croydon has landed herself a cushy job on top of her payoff for leaving Chief Exec post.

Some here will remember her as the Brixton Town Centre manager. Where she impressed Cllrs with her can do attitude. Whatever the views of locals.

Does anyone know how to access voter turnout? Been trying to look it up for Lambeth but can't find it.

Some learnings from standing as a candidate for the first time and thoughts on the results.

1. Diversity - a lot was made of Labour fielding the most diverse set of candidates. Yet Lambeth will be left with limited consenting or critical voices to challenge Labours policies. Whoever you support this is not good and not diverse; Matthew Syed will be spinning in his chair.
2. Democratic representation - there are too many paper candidates. I stood in Myatt’s Fields because I live in the Ward and am passionate about the local area as well as being ideologically aligned with the Greens at a borough policy level. I am happy with our showing but we had a shoestring effort in reality this time but will campaign again in the future I hope. People openly told me they didn’t want to vote Labour but at least they made an effort and send leaflets and do some canvassing - having opposition in the form of me and Zi campaigning was seen as a positive I hope and overall increases focus on the area.
3. Local vs. National - the national issue messaging from Labour and in general tbh was very depressing. That there was a huge number of Labour big hitters that descended on the tight wards is sad considering I am not convinced many of them would have had an understanding of the Ward or Borough issues. This then makes campaigning an arms race.
4. Electoral Services - related to the above, Lambeth Council has a responsibility to educate on local elections better. That someone like Pete Elliot can lose when fighting a campaign focused on sending Boris a message is a shame.

Edited upon seeing is not a red clean sweep!

Thanks for posting on Urban.

On Diversity. Yes Labour made big thing about having "diverse" slate of candidates.

However in power the Labour group is anything but diverse in a real sense.

Diversity is imo more than just tick boxing.

It should also be about allowing a range of opinions. Allowing ward Cllrs to represent and campaign on issues.

I'm afraid "Diversity" has become one of those meaningless phrases that politicians use.

Does anyone know how to access voter turnout? Been trying to look it up for Lambeth but can't find it.
This page has it at 32% for the borough.

Then here I guess you can work it out for each ward by total votes divided by no. councillors then divided by electorate.

edit - can’t seem to copy links for some reason , but on the council’s pages for this election

This page has it at 32% for the borough.

Then here I guess you can work it out for each ward by total votes divided by no. councillors then divided by electorate.

edit - can’t seem to copy links for some reason , but on the council’s pages for this election

Thanks. Found it. Yes 32percent turnout. Which is very low. And that's registered voters. So not all the population.

From the breakdown of vote across borough

Labour got 34%. and 34 Cllrs

Labour / Coop got 20% and 24 Cllrs

LD got 11% and 3 Cllrs.

Greens got 22% and 2 Cllrs

Tories got 12% and no Cllrs

Looking at the breakdown of percentages and Cllrs elected looks to me that this isn't the Labour landslide it appears.

As its first past the post this means those of us who didn't vote for Labour are short changed.

Back
Top Bottom