Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lambeth increases the rent of council tenancies by £60-£75 PER WEEK

Are you in council housing or housing association property? If so, it should have been brought up to the Decent Homes Standard years ago. Do other properties in your block/on your estate have double-glazing? How long have you lived there? Maybe whoever lived there at around the time upgrades were being done refused to let them do the work? Or maybe it was in a bit of a state and contractors refused to do work in the property? Ask them for double-glazing. Also, if you don't have double-glazing, you might or might not have cavity wall insulation or upgraded loft insulation (whatever's applicable, depending on what type of property you're in), so maybe ask questions and double-check whether you need remedial works on that score too.
It is council housing and the only thing they did as part of decent homes was re-do the kitchen (not also the bathroom like initially promised). Dont have double glazing....only neighbours who do own their flats and have paid for it themselves after gaining planning permission (Grade 2 listed building). I live in a basement flat so imaginr loft insulation not applicable, and defo no wall cavity as the building is from the 1800s or earlier

I've set up a cut'n'paste letter for residents to send to councillors/MP
Thanks I’ve shared with my ward councillors.

Is there anything else we can do as neighbours? Maybe getting Shelter involved could help as well? Southwyck house residents can contact them directly for support.

Residents need to ask for a full breakdown of charges, and an explanation of the calculations that have been used to arrive at these charges. If they are not satisfied, they should lodge formal complaints. And, if needs be, follow up with an Ombudsman.

I agree. I said something similar in previous posts.

I also think these are specific questions that could be sent to the relevant Ward Cllr. Any decent Ward Cllr can send this onto officers for a reply. Officers are required to answer Cllrs. Asking for a full breakdown is a reasonable question. It also puts the Ward Cllr on the spot.

Emails complaining about the hike in charges to Ward Cllrs may get sympathetic response but they are going to blame it on factors outside their control ( Ukraine etc) and go on about how the Council will assist people in need.

Your questions are specific and to the point.

It is council housing and the only thing they did as part of decent homes was re-do the kitchen (not also the bathroom like initially promised). Dont have double glazing....only neighbours who do own their flats and have paid for it themselves after gaining planning permission (Grade 2 listed building). I live in a basement flat so imaginr loft insulation not applicable, and defo no wall cavity as the building is from the 1800s or earlier

My Council place got the Decent Homes work. Its Victorian building. I did ask about double glazing and they said no. They repaired windows not replace.

Much later a surveyor came to look at works that had been done. He asked me why they did not put in double glazing. He told me he was going to go back and look at the works programme for my area. He also asked why did they not put all the windows in good working order. Some windows do not open and need new sash cords etc.

Impression I got is that cost cutting went on. I did ask for the surveyors report. The Council refused to let me see it.

The surveyor was chatty and friendly.

Get the feeling some of tenants have been short changed by the Decent Homes standard works.

Recently had another surveyor doing the Savilles Stock Condition survey. I have a few issues with the previous works. Sent the snagging list with photos in time and nothing happened. Surveyor said I should keep on at Council. Makes me wonder what happens to all these surveys. I mean these are the qualified people making survey reports. I wonder if the Council officers actually read them.

I do think it is worth sending any disrepair to your local Cllr. I recently had issue about my boiler. To cut a long story short after I emailed Ward Cllrs the contractors / officers fell over themselves to sort it out. I ended up with better boiler than my neighbour. So yes if one emails Cllrs on a specific issue they can act on it and it can work out.

My Council place got the Decent Homes work. Its Victorian building. I did ask about double glazing and they said no. They repaired windows not replace.

Much later a surveyor came to look at works that had been done. He asked me why they did not put in double glazing. He told me he was going to go back and look at the works programme for my area. He also asked why did they not put all the windows in good working order. Some windows do not open and need new sash cords etc.

Impression I got is that cost cutting went on. I did ask for the surveyors report. The Council refused to let me see it.

The surveyor was chatty and friendly.

Get the feeling some of tenants have been short changed by the Decent Homes standard works.

Recently had another surveyor doing the Savilles Stock Condition survey. I have a few issues with the previous works. Sent the snagging list with photos in time and nothing happened. Surveyor said I should keep on at Council. Makes me wonder what happens to all these surveys. I mean these are the qualified people making survey reports. I wonder if the Council officers actually read them.

I do think it is worth sending any disrepair to your local Cllr. I recently had issue about my boiler. To cut a long story short after I emailed Ward Cllrs the contractors / officers fell over themselves to sort it out. I ended up with better boiler than my neighbour. So yes if one emails Cllrs on a specific issue they can act on it and it can work out.
Submit a Freedom of Information Act request for the surveyor's report.

They might refuse to provide copies of contracts or costings from contractors on the grounds of 'commercial sensitivity' but a straightforward report about the condition of the buildings should be disclosable.

If they sorted that out with double glazing it would reduce the load on their boilers - but one hopes they would provide trickle ventilation. You don't want to go from cold draughty windows to mould and condensation.
Can you imagine how much Lambeth would charge the residents. Shudder to think

Tbh, given my experiences of living in (now ex-)council property in Manchester, it wouldn't surprise me if in your case eg window replacements had been costed and ordered and paid for but they never happened.

I know another leaseholder who was charged for window replacements that never happened, till he called them out on it and got reimbursed. Also, I understand that, historically, when they've started a programme of works on our estate, they've sometimes run out of money before the works were finished. This was especially problematic, because I understand they would tend to start work on one street, on one side of the estate, and so the other side of the estate didn't get works done, and this happened again.

My experience of council works department/council contractors was that it stank of corruption, works being billed for and never carried out, some contractors doing such shoddy work.

Usually, in relation to leasehold properties, the freeholders/managing agents are supposed to get at least three quotes and serve a Section 20 Notice if they plan to do major works, ie anything that will cost each individual leaseholder more than £250.

But where the property is council/ex-council, that requirement seems to go by the wayside and they just use their preferred contractors who seem to have already entered into long-term contracts with.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that backhanders exchanged hands in the awarding of contracts, because it's very definitely not based on the quality of the work and the professionalism of all those involved.

You've really got to keep digging, asking for documents, asking for reports, also contact your local councillors and get them to chase things up.

Ask them why they haven't completed works in compliance with 'Lambeth Asset Management Strategy and Policy 2016-2021' - I'm guessing the pandemic might be one of their excuses, but they had the whole of 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019, before the pandemic, so should have made a lot of headway, should have carried out more than half of the work.

"Lambeth Council’s Asset Management Strategy (AMS) for the period 2016-2021 sets out a strategic framework which will guide management, maintenance, and investment in the council’s housing assets. Lambeth owns and manages almost 33,000 rented and leasehold homes and by 2020 aims to have brought all homes up to the Lambeth Housing Standard....

"Works currently being undertaken which will contribute to achieving the council’s objective include:
 The Lambeth Housing Standard programme. The average SAP rating in Lambeth’s stock is 65.0, with scope for improvement as a result of energy efficiency works implemented as part of the Lambeth Housing Standard.
o Heating and hot water systems. This is the biggest source of energy use in the home, and boiler replacement and heating system renewals form a significant part of the LHS programme. We are replacing outdated systems with ‘A’ rated modern boilers and controls.
o Decent Homes (external elements). Through the installation of double glazed windows and roof replacement including loft insulation, our residents are able to cut heat loss and can save up to £100 on their annual heating bills. Where scaffold is required for other works, we will also fill un-insulated cavity walls."

Wherever there are communal heating systems, if they are heating buildings that don't have double-glazing and cavity wall insulation, they will be working overtime, they will be costing significantly more to run than they would if the buildings were more energy efficient and better insulated.

Tbh, I thought Manchester was shit because they missed the Decent Homes Standard 2010 by 2-3 years, they didn't do the works till 2012 or 2013, but that was partly because they went through stock transfer from the council to an ALMO, which delayed a lot of things.

Can you imagine how much Lambeth would charge the residents. Shudder to think
If they improve the energy efficiency, the cost of those works is offset by reducing the cost of utilities bills.

Although nowadays, the idea of reducing bills is laughable, it's more like they won't go up quite so astronomically.

Latest

It should be nationwide - as far as I can tell, the financial support for the heating, went out in discounts direct from bills (which those paying for heating via their service charges would not have received )- but also in direct payments to those on benefits or pensions - so wouldn't have covered all tenants in Council Housing.

Latest

you say the story is the rent is increasing, while you've made clear on the thread it's the service charge - which as you said won't be covered by hb - that's soaring. maybe you could reiterate that point instead of describing it as 'the rent'. although the point is made within the lib dem statement, it wouldn't hurt to put it in the first sentence hook

What's really annoying is that Lambeth go into silence mode, rather than communicating with their tenants.

This is info from an energy consultancy regarding heat network.

I have lived here 12 years
It's really worth writing to your MP/councillor - and to what little opposition there is in your area. Labour will obviously do fuck all but it's good to get on record just how shit they were.

Thank you. I have used your draft letter as a base and emailed my local Councillors

Attachments

• Advising on Heat Network Metering & Billing Regulations 2014 for Lambeth Council _ AgilityEco.pdf
    232 KB · Views: 3
Thanks I’ve shared with my ward councillors.

Is there anything else we can do as neighbours? Maybe getting Shelter involved could help as well? Southwyck house residents can contact them directly for support.

editor

Was just sent this response from the ward councillors via Resident Services:

With regards to the notice period given to tenants about the rent increase, we have to legally give 4 weeks’ notice and the increase letters were sent on the 28th February giving 4 weeks’ notice. We do not have to consult with the residents.

Regarding the rent increase, as you will be aware, annual rent rises are linked to inflation which has risen to record levels due to the economic crisis and war in Ukraine. Normally annual rent rises are capped at inflation, plus one per cent. As inflation is currently so high this would have meant a rent rise of 11.1 per cent. When we realised this last summer, we began work immediately to find ways of not having to raise rents during these difficult times.

We considered what the Council could afford and lobbied Government to provide funding so we could keep rent rises down. However, in November the Government announced there would be no extra funding to support councils and capped rent increases at seven per cent.

In respect to the heating & hot water service charge element, the council understands that the cost of living crisis continues to impact many of our residents, hitting those on the lowest incomes hardest and widening inequalities. The council continues to work to provide a package of support to help residents maximise their incomes, reduce costs and provide financial resilience.

Unfortunately, service and utility charges are set based on the market costs to provide gas and electricity. The council has long-term gas and electricity contracts where energy providers set the rates. Due to the nature of these contracts, Lambeth council tenants did not see a rise in communal gas and electricity prices for 2022/23. Unfortunately, extreme inflation in the energy market has seen prices increase significantly compared to 2022-23. These costs are outside of Lambeth Council’s control and, whilst the council is utilising council funds to prevent a steeper increase for tenants, unfortunately, some of these costs are unavoidable to cover the costs of heating and hot water.

I have been advised by the Heating Engineers in Housing Capital and Asset Management, that there is currently no plan to install individual boilers in Southwyck House.

The Council continues to work with its providers to ensure that supplies are purchased at the best prices available, and any future reduction in costs will be passed through to tenants in future rent-setting arrangements.

The Council recognises the impact of these increases on its tenants and is providing additional support through our Cost of Living crisis support together with financial support from central government.

Residents who pay their energy supply via a prepaid meter who have not yet received the Energy Bill Support Scheme £400 payment through email or postal vouchers or as automatic credit when topping up on Paypoint should contact their energy supplier for more information.

Residents who do not have a direct relationship with an energy supplier and have not already received an Energy Bill Support Scheme payment may be eligible to receive £400 to help with their energy bills and can apply to the fund online at www.gov.uk/apply-energy-bill-support-if-not-automatic. More information about the scheme can be found on the council’s website: www.lambeth.gov.uk/energy-bills-support-scheme-ebss-alternative-funding

Lambeth Council also offers a range of additional support for residents impacted by the cost of living crisis. More information on the support available to you, including accessing financial support in an emergency or crisis, can be found online at www.lambeth.gov.uk/cost-living-crisis-support or by calling our helpline on 0345 302 2312.

Compare and contrast with Islington council's response. Lambeth really are a shower of fucking shit.

Changes to communal heating​

We are changing the dates and times your heating is on to do more to reduce costs and energy use. Find out more and have your say on these changes.

Changes to when communal heating operates​

In September 2022, we said we’re changing the dates and times your heating is on. When we wrote to you in September, we asked if you agreed with these changes or not. 67% of the 719 responses agreed with the changes or wanted us to do more to reduce costs and energy use.
  • We have reduced the heating season by six weeks. The heating season is now 30 weeks long.
  • Communal heating on most Islington estates will start on 13 October 2022 and end on 11 May 2023.
  • Heating was on for around 18 hours a day. It will now be 13 hours a day during the heating season, which is around the amount of time people with individual boilers heat their homes.
  • The systems will typically be on for 5 hours in the morning and 8 hours in the afternoon and evening.

Consultation in autumn 2022​

We will be consulting residents during the autumn 2022 who are connected to communal heating and hot water systems so you can have your say about these changes. We also want to explore any additional changes that could help save you money.

Increase in heating charges​

Due to the significant increase in energy prices, unless we take action now, the weekly cost to the average tenant would rise from £10.60 to £52.28 for this year.

• To prevent this drastic rise in cost, the council is investing £1.1million from the tenants heat reserve to cover some of the cost and reducing the hours the heating system operates.
  • These measures will mean the cost for the average tenant from from 28 November will be £17.40 per week – saving the average household £34.88 per week if no action was taken to protect families.

editor

Was just sent this response from the ward councillors via Resident Services:

With regards to the notice period given to tenants about the rent increase, we have to legally give 4 weeks’ notice and the increase letters were sent on the 28th February giving 4 weeks’ notice. We do not have to consult with the residents.

Regarding the rent increase, as you will be aware, annual rent rises are linked to inflation which has risen to record levels due to the economic crisis and war in Ukraine. Normally annual rent rises are capped at inflation, plus one per cent. As inflation is currently so high this would have meant a rent rise of 11.1 per cent. When we realised this last summer, we began work immediately to find ways of not having to raise rents during these difficult times.

We considered what the Council could afford and lobbied Government to provide funding so we could keep rent rises down. However, in November the Government announced there would be no extra funding to support councils and capped rent increases at seven per cent.

In respect to the heating & hot water service charge element, the council understands that the cost of living crisis continues to impact many of our residents, hitting those on the lowest incomes hardest and widening inequalities. The council continues to work to provide a package of support to help residents maximise their incomes, reduce costs and provide financial resilience.

Unfortunately, service and utility charges are set based on the market costs to provide gas and electricity. The council has long-term gas and electricity contracts where energy providers set the rates. Due to the nature of these contracts, Lambeth council tenants did not see a rise in communal gas and electricity prices for 2022/23. Unfortunately, extreme inflation in the energy market has seen prices increase significantly compared to 2022-23. These costs are outside of Lambeth Council’s control and, whilst the council is utilising council funds to prevent a steeper increase for tenants, unfortunately, some of these costs are unavoidable to cover the costs of heating and hot water.

I have been advised by the Heating Engineers in Housing Capital and Asset Management, that there is currently no plan to install individual boilers in Southwyck House.

The Council continues to work with its providers to ensure that supplies are purchased at the best prices available, and any future reduction in costs will be passed through to tenants in future rent-setting arrangements.

The Council recognises the impact of these increases on its tenants and is providing additional support through our Cost of Living crisis support together with financial support from central government.

Residents who pay their energy supply via a prepaid meter who have not yet received the Energy Bill Support Scheme £400 payment through email or postal vouchers or as automatic credit when topping up on Paypoint should contact their energy supplier for more information.

Residents who do not have a direct relationship with an energy supplier and have not already received an Energy Bill Support Scheme payment may be eligible to receive £400 to help with their energy bills and can apply to the fund online at www.gov.uk/apply-energy-bill-support-if-not-automatic. More information about the scheme can be found on the council’s website: www.lambeth.gov.uk/energy-bills-support-scheme-ebss-alternative-funding

Lambeth Council also offers a range of additional support for residents impacted by the cost of living crisis. More information on the support available to you, including accessing financial support in an emergency or crisis, can be found online at www.lambeth.gov.uk/cost-living-crisis-support or by calling our helpline on 0345 302 2312.

It's good that you emailed Cllrs.

It's the reply that I find irritating. Labour ward Cllrs in this borough usually get officers to reply for them. I'm sure this reply is the set text that anyone emailing Cllrs will get. It's the approved version for Cllrs.

Will keep the whips happy.

Rather than getting officers to reply imo Ward Cllrs should tell constituents what they think and what they are personally going to do.

The reply you got has all the hall marks of senior officers and Cabinet members deciding policy .

To be on safe side Ward Cllr usually farm out contentious issues for officers to tell them what the reply should be.

It's reducing politics to a form of business management.

Now the weather has improved I'm using less gas for heating on my pre payment meter. Makes me wonder why tenants on communal heating are paying same level all year.

I would also question what officers say about heating contracts.

I think Ward Cllrs should be asking more questions of officers about heating contracts. Not just accepting what officers say.

Compare and contrast with Islington council's response. Lambeth really are a shower of fucking shit.

I've sent this to Helen Hayes asking why Lambeth failed to implement any of these measures.

The Green Party are also furious with Lambeth: Green councillor furious over Lambeth’s ‘extortionate service charge increases’

About 10 years ag omI helped a leasehilder living i a block ru by the then ALMO responsible for Lambeth Housing. The problemm was that the block in which she lived was the only one of five on the estate that had communal heating. TheALMO wanted to,renew the communal boiler with annuodated vet siion andshe was sent aprojected bill for £19500. An individual heating and hot water system would have cost under £5000. For somemreadon theLMO - which was not that much arms length - thought that the ludicrously expensive syatem was better value.

The commuinal system gave residents no control so at timres residents had thev heating on andv their windows open as it was the only way they could dial down the internal temperature. Sheer lunacy and so much for LBL's green hogwash.

It took me months of rgument with various housing officers associated with Lambeth Council before I finally wore them down.,They agreed that leaseholders could come off the communal system and installtheir own systems.,The Lord alone knows what the communal system retained for cuncil,tenants inthe block cost Lambeth and how much the tenants' bills are now.

And if all that was not eough,the ALMO insisted that they had turnnod=ffthemconnectyion tothe communal,system.,Which they did - and promptly flooded the place costing Lambeth another £5000 in damages.

I have lived in several London Boroughs during my near 80 years. This is by far the most incompetent of the lot.

It's the reply that I find irritating. Labour ward Cllrs in this borough usually get officers to reply for them. I'm sure this reply is the set text that anyone emailing Cllrs will get. It's the approved version for Cllrs.

Rather than getting officers to reply imo Ward Cllrs should tell constituents what they think and what they are personally going to do.

The reply you got has all the hall marks of senior officers and Cabinet members deciding policy .

To be on safe side Ward Cllr usually farm out contentious issues for officers to tell them what the reply should be.

Oh totally was a stock reply from an officer, they acknowledged that.

You raise a good point though. It would’ve been nice to know their feelings on the matter and what they preferred to happen. What type of action they would take to prevent or support. Like is this acceptable behaviour or conditions for your constituents? Looks like there was an somewhat apology at least for the threatening language to move out if you can’t afford?

Now the weather has improved I'm using less gas for heating on my pre payment meter. Makes me wonder why tenants on communal heating are paying same level all year.

I would also question what officers say about heating contracts.

I think Ward Cllrs should be asking more questions of officers about heating contracts. Not just accepting what officers say.
I think they just divide the yearly sum by 12 months - more difficult to change the charge every few months when the season changes. As I said earlier, some LAs (and I work for a London one) are changing the way communal heating is billed - heat meters should give a more accurate measurement of individual consumption. The weekly service charge is calculated once a year and based on the previous year's use. This can result in cheaper bills - but can have the opposite impact. I recently did a Mutual Exchange between 2 residents in 2 different blocks , both on heat meters. A inherited B's heating charge, they used a lot of heating the previous year - so he ended up paying about £30pw for the communal heating. B, inherited A's service charge - he didn't use his heating much, so their Service Charge worked out at about £8pw. Now next year, his service charge will be dramatically reduced , if he keeps to the same habits - whilst theirs will dramatically increase if they keep to the same habits.

Building insulation, heat recovery ventilation and good heating controls should be the priority to beat climate change and fuel poverty. Before welcoming heat meters with open arms tenants need to be aware of the pitfalls in the light of the experience of tenants of Eliza Cook House in Kennington, first occupied in November 2021. A group of us visited in April 2022 and I wrote the first report, with editing by Chris Langdon, and others wrote an Addendum a few months later. Beware being landed with a monopoly heat metering supplier. Beware of high daily standing charges even if you use no heat. Here is the section of my report that covers the cost of the heat metering system to the tenants of Eliza Cook House and I'm attaching my full report and the Addendum.

Cost to Tenants

Eliza Cook House suffers from the ‘uneconomic costs on occupiers’ warned against by Policy 5.6 of the London Plan. There is a monopoly energy supply and billing system which all tenants are tied into, including a mandatory prepayment system. At the time of inspection, April 2022, the standing charges were exorbitant with unit charges near double those other gas users with a conventional billing arrangement.

If gas is to be used, a modern gas combination boiler operating at 92% efficiency positioned close to the hot water draw off points is one of the most efficient ways of using gas domestically. The tenant would also be subject to one gas standing charge as distinct from the three charges identified below.

Billing agent Insite Energy’s ‘Guru Hub II’ prepayment heat meter controls payment. If £5 emergency credit runs out a valve automatically closes and there will be no heating or hot water until £5+ is paid.

Standing Charges

Each flat’s daily standing charge from Insite Energy was 83p/day or £302.95p.a as at March 2022. The tenants’ information pack states:

“…this covers the cost of operating the heat network and delivering energy to your home. This includes administrative charges and the standing charge costs passed on by the supplier for the provision of energy to the central plant room.”

The standing charge continues to accrue even if the flat is not occupied or if the supply has been disconnected.

The tenant’s service charge statement shows a further monthly “Heat and Hot Water Administrative Charge” from Homes for Lambeth of £1.17. This means that included in the two standing charge payments there are effectively three gas administration charges: one from the gas supplier, one from the billing company (Insite) and a third from Homes for Lambeth. In total these amount to £316.99 p.a. This means tenants are paying more than three times the typical standing charge paid by other domestic gas consumers with no discernible cost or environmental benefits. Electricity bills (paid by tenants to their chosen supplier) for lighting, cooking and the bathroom radiator will also include that supplier’s standing charge meaning that total standing charges could amount to £400 p.a. before any energy is consumed.

The Heat Consumption Charge

Heat used is measured in kilowatt-hour (kWh). At the time of inspection this was charged at £0.09/kWh or 9p/kWh. The tenants’ information pack states:

“This is charged per kWh [of heat] consumed within your property. This covers the bulk cost of the energy generated in the communal plant room. It also includes any associated heat losses between the supply point and your home.

Your tariff is set and regularly reviewed by your heat provider to ensure the price is fair and any fees charged do not exceed the cost of providing energy to your home. Your heat provider legally cannot make a profit from your tariff. Unfortunately, we are unable to alter your tariff unless instructed to do so by Homes for Lambeth. Any changes…31-days’ notice…”

It is important to note that the estimated 50% heat loss between the boiler and the flats is therefore a cost borne by occupiers. In effect this means that increased costs stemming from errors in design and lower capital expenditure by the client or contractor fall on the residents.

For comparison, a typical unit charge for gas in March 2022 was 3.94p/kWh. When this rate is adjusted to allow for a gas combination boiler being less than 100% efficient the cost of heat delivered equates to 4.3p/kWh, less than half that charged by Insite Energy. If typical domestic gas charges post 1st April 2022 rise by 50% they would still be much lower than those the tenants of Eliza Cook House are required to pay.

Attachments

• Eliza Cook House -A Review April 2022.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • Eliza Cook House Review Addendum 220904 FINAL.pdf
    852.3 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom