Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Julie Burchill forced to apologise for twitter comments , and pay out a fat wedge .

So yeah, if anyone actually wants to remind themselves what this is all about, Julie Burchill moving beyond the controversialist into nasty, vicious racist cunt, here's a link which contains a lot of what she said (it's from her solicitors and talks about the judgement and apology)

Or carry on talking about giving consent to angels, whatever.
everyone knows Burchill is a shit, and we've already read all this stuff. We could all perform how awful we think she is again, or talk about something more interesting. So we've gone for that instead.

Nope, you’re still not getting it.
I cussed the Bible. You didn’t like it. That’s unfortunate, but it wasn’t directed at you, or indeed anyone.

There is no way of going through life without finding some things other people say offensive. And it’s dangerous to try and insist it is possible.

So yeah, if anyone actually wants to remind themselves what this is all about, Julie Burchill moving beyond the controversialist into nasty, vicious racist cunt, here's a link which contains a lot of what she said (it's from her solicitors and talks about the judgement and apology)

Or carry on talking about giving consent to angels, whatever.
This bit is puzzling: “although it was not my intention, I accept that my statements were defamatory of Ms Sarkar and caused her very substantial distress.”

"was not my intention"? Fucking strange statement.

Attacking the very basis of a religion/s which has endured so long and is so much a part of people's identities seems the wrong way to go about helping ourselves or anyone else. Church leaders like to talk about inter-faith communication and rapprochement. I'd say that ought to cut both ways with atheists too. Burchill's type are the problem. Just as sharp-suited televangelists manipulate and condemn she is retrograde, xenophobic.

It’s not a cop out, but only cos it’s bollocks instead. Invoking this nonsense (a la Burchill and others who decry cancel culture) that someone had said one shouldn’t ever criticise religious figures. You just made that up.
You’ve made up several things about me already. You’ve literally said I said things I did not say.

I am not decrying “cancel culture”. I’m drawing a distinction between on the one hand being bigoted or racist and on the other hand criticising the content or impact of a philosophy. They are two completely different things.

You’ve made up several things about me already. You’ve literally said I said things I did not say.

I am not decrying “cancel culture”. I’m drawing a distinction between on the one hand being bigoted or racist and on the other hand criticising the content or impact of a philosophy. They are two completely different things.
But you definitely did make up the fact that you were responding to a supposedly stated sentiment that one shouldn’t ever criticise religious figures.

Attacking the very basis of a religion/s which has endured so long and is so much a part of people's identities seems the wrong way to go about helping ourselves or anyone else. Church leaders like to talk about inter-faith communication and rapprochement. I'd say that ought to cut both ways with atheists too. Burchill's type are the problem. Just as sharp-suited televangilists manipulate and condemn she is retrograde, xenophobic.
Some church leaders do that. Others don't. Some come together with other religions to attack a perceived common enemy, secularism.

I have a bit of a different take on this from danny. I think attacking the very basis of a religion is the best way to criticise it. Jesus was the son of god and died for our sins. No he didn't. Muhammad is a prophet. No he isn't.

And the leaders of organised religions of various stripes can mostly fuck the fuck off. Ultimately they are after power and control.

I mean, I’m regretting responding to it now, because there were other things I’d rather have spent my evening doing, and I’ve offended people I didn’t want to offend. But I was responding directly to a story LBJ posted.

I have read it. You were being childish and are now being defensive.
See, how is one supposed to respond to false accusations? Then when I do respond, that turns out to be a personality flaw too.

Yes, I’m often childish, I can be patronising, I’m opinionated, I’m sometimes wrong. But “defensive”? What the fuck am I supposed to do with that information?

Let’s leave it at this: Burchill’s a prick, God’s a wanker, I’m offensive, and I’m off to watch Spiral.

Some church leaders do that. Others don't. Some come together with other religions to attack a perceived common enemy, secularism.

I have a bit of a different take on this from danny. I think attacking the very basis of a religion is the best way to criticise it. Jesus was the son of god and died for our sins. No he didn't. Muhammad is a prophet. No he isn't.

And the leaders of organised religions of various stripes can mostly fuck the fuck off. Ultimately they are after power and control.

We could be saying the same things hundreds of years into the future, if we were still around. Religion may well endure as long as humanity does, as will the cuntish end of humanity's spectrum.

I cussed the Bible. You didn’t like it. That’s unfortunate, but it wasn’t directed at you, or indeed anyone.

There is no way of going through life without finding some things other people say offensive. And it’s dangerous to try and insist it is possible.
Oh get over yourself. I wouldn’t say to my Pakistani neighbour that she worshipped a paedophile, I wouldn’t jeer at a Sikh man for wearing a turban, and I wouldn’t say God raped Mary. You come on to a thread about this very issue, and do the very same thing Birchall did. And your defence is the same: I have a right to be offensive. It’s arrogant. I’m disappointed. I’ll leave it too.

Oh get over yourself. I wouldn’t say to my Pakistani neighbour that she worshipped a paedophile, I wouldn’t jeer at a Sikh man for wearing a turban, and I wouldn’t say God raped Mary. You come on to a thread about this very issue, and do the very same thing Birchall did. And your defence is the same: I have a right to be offensive. It’s arrogant. I’m disappointed. I’ll leave it too.
Danny didn't do anything like the examples you give. He posted on here, aiming the comment at nobody in particular.

This is exactly the kind of special pleading for religion that I was objecting to at the start when linking to that blasphemy case. Believe what you want, but you don't have a right not to have the things you believe in questioned or spoken about in terms you don't approve of.

Myths are fine, if you like that sort of thing, but religious myths get treated by some as historical events, with both symbolic and actual meaning. That's OK for dead religions, the Norse gods, the Cathars, Druids and what have you. With living religions it matters that people treat these stories as 'gospel'. They should be free to do so, but why should we have to judge and react to their belief systems any differently to how we judge or react to climate change deniers, or the followers of David Icke. Sure, be nice to people, mostly, but feel free to take the piss as well.
But the point I keep getting stuck on is - is there any evidence that Ash Sarkar treats these stories as gospel? Cos I'm not an Ash Sarkar-ologist or anything, but I've not seen any evidence that she does, and so it seems weird that we keep coming back to like "criticisms that might be appropriate to level at a fundamentalist Muslim who defends that passage/myth" in the context of a discussion about someone who, going by the available evidence, is not a fundamentalist Muslim who etc etc. I think it's pretty important to resist that slippage.

I have a bit of a different take on this from danny. I think attacking the very basis of a religion is the best way to criticise it.
I can't believe I'm going to be this much of a tediously predictable Marxist dick, but that's the question, isn't it, or at least one of them - what is the actual basis of religion?
The struggle against religion is, therefore, indirectly the struggle against that world whose spiritual aroma is religion...
The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is the demand for their real happiness. To call on them to give up their illusions about their condition is to call on them to give up a condition that requires illusions. The criticism of religion is, therefore, in embryo, the criticism of that vale of tears of which religion is the halo.

Muslim tradition holds what I said to be the case. I repeat it because that’s what is said by mainstream Muslim tradition. It has been argued that the ages are exaggerations meant to emphasise her virginity. That doesn’t, however, make the case people think it does.

The age of Mary at the time she was raped by the Holy Spirit is not part of Christian tradition.

Technically no, her age is not part of the christian tradition, but her rape unequivocally is, otherwise its impossible to have a doctrine of immaculate conception.

In that sense, Aisha is far less central to the islamic traditions as people on here would like to claim. She is universally despised and not to be exemplarised according to the shia tradition, and that goes for her father, Abu Bakr.

In that sense the history is important, because if Muhammad is insan al-kamal - then the fact that the islamic tradition is full of contradicting hearsay narritives (hadith) illustrates that the important thing is how that tradition is interpreted in certain historical periods for what ends.

Burchill's new found publisher has links to Patriotic Alternative

Two days ago on March 14, Burchill posted on her Facebook page about her new publisher: “I’ve found someone who’s JUST LIKE ME - not only can I work with her, but have a lot of fun with her, and we know how much I like THAT.”

:D classic Burchill :D just like her indeed

Islam will crumble when the changes rought about by the high mobility of labour in former areas subject to empires of tribute completely extinguish the old revanchist consciousness. Already islamism has run out of ideas from the paramilitary to the bourgeoisdemocratic.

The mistake here is to view religion as an entirely pre-capitalist relic rather than being subsumed into capital's self-valourisation mechanisms. This is why overemphasising a purported humanism of capitalism is a wrongheaded impulse, which is of course what mainstream secularists end up doing.

I was certainly taught at my (Catholic) primary school that Mary had no idea she was pregnant (and therefore didn't consent) until the angel came and told her. (It being couched as her being blessed and all that). And because Joseph was a good man, he married her despite her pregnancy. I can't tell you which gospel that comes from or what the others say but that's certainly the version we were given....

Yep same as my catholic schooling as well.

I think SheilaNaGig is right that myths and story telling are such an important part of being a human and I would hate us to lose them, but I also think that when dealing with something like Christianity, so may people literally take the Bible as gospel (pun kinda intended) and that shapes so much of the world still, including politics and therefore women's rights, attempting to reframe the narrative is kinda futile and I would rather say "yes these stories are important to a lot of people but they are just that, stories" than argue to the toss about whether Mary was raped or not.
I dunno if that makes sense or not as I am rambling a bit :D

Technically no, her age is not part of the christian tradition, but her rape unequivocally is, otherwise its impossible to have a doctrine of immaculate conception.

In that sense, Aisha is far less central to the islamic traditions as people on here would like to claim. She is universally despised and not to be exemplarised according to the shia tradition, and that goes for her father, Abu Bakr.

In that sense the history is important, because if Muhammad is insan al-kamal - then the fact that the islamic tradition is full of contradicting hearsay narritives (hadith) illustrates that the important thing is how that tradition is interpreted in certain historical periods for what ends.
The Immaculate Conception was the conception of Mary by her parents, which somehow happens without sin. Thus Mary is without sin and can be a vessel for Christ, who is also his own dad.

And little of this is in the Bible, because the Bible was not the sum total of Christianity, it was just an anthology.

Yep same as my catholic schooling as well.

I think SheilaNaGig is right that myths and story telling are such an important part of being a human and I would hate us to lose them, but I also think that when dealing with something like Christianity, so may people literally take the Bible as gospel (pun kinda intended) and that shapes so much of the world still, including politics and therefore women's rights, attempting to reframe the narrative is kinda futile and I would rather say "yes these stories are important to a lot of people but they are just that, stories" than argue to the toss about whether Mary was raped or not.
I dunno if that makes sense or not as I am rambling a bit :D
Yeah, I think it's fine and good to reframe and reclaim myths and stories and the like, but when those myths and stories have been used for millennia - and are still used today - to justify and enforce an unjust world, then I'm not really into it.

Back
Top Bottom