Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Julie Burchill forced to apologise for twitter comments , and pay out a fat wedge .

Since this is, among other things, the Citizen Kane thread, I may as well mention here that my mate's just said they're watching Coronation Street and then watching Citizen Kane in brief snippets during the ad breaks. I wish I could somehow tell Orson Welles this to see the look on his face.
He'd probably find it funny. This is the man who made Other Side Of The Wind, after all, a film that only really makes any sense in ad break sized snippets.

Since this is, among other things, the Citizen Kane thread, I may as well mention here that my mate's just said they're watching Coronation Street and then watching Citizen Kane in brief snippets during the ad breaks. I wish I could somehow tell Orson Welles this to see the look on his face.

My father once trod on Orson's toes (literally not figuratively) as my father was the heavier of the two, which was no mean feat, I'd have liked to have seen the look on Orson's face that day.. I think that is the nearest anyone in my immediate family has ever got to fame.

I just watched a video with Ash Sarkar discussing David Lammy dealing with a racist caller on LBC saying that "you can be Black British but you can't be English"
Sarkar said "Only a country like England could have produced someone as obnoxious as me" :D
I do like the cut of her jib :cool:

Sorry to be back on topic :oops:

The music at the beginning of that is from Adrian Uttley and Will Gregory's soundtrack to the film Arcadia. One of my favourite films in recent years. Collection of old footage of the countryside imbued with a subtle sense subversion and impending doom. Some of the footage is insane. It classifies itself as folk horror, although it's not fiction and lacks an explicit narrative.

Curious perspective on the Incredible String Band there. They're obviously very hippy and very "acid". But were they particularly pastoral for a British (of course they were Scottish not English) band though? Comparing them to US folk singers like Dylan, Oakes etc. is just not understanding the tradition they're from. Also wish they hadn't played the Hedgehog song, not that it isn't brilliant but it does lend the impression that they were twee and trivial. And yes they could be very twee, but they were making this insanely harmonically and melodically complex music that synthesised everything that was going on in British jazz and folk clubs.

Wish there had been a nod to guitarists such as Bert Jansch and Davey Graham and also to singers such as Anne Briggs and Shirley Collins, and the teaming British folk tradition of the 60's and 70's that they rested upon. Of course Collins was a card carrying Communist as well as a very important figure on the folk scene. I do recommend the documentary Ballad of Shirley Collins to anyone interested (if you can track it down).

Folk horror is probably my favourite subgenre of film. But at same time I don't know what it is. Mark Gatiss coined the term if I'm not mistaken, not too long ago and his three classic examples are The Witchfinder General, The Blood on Satan's Claw and The Wicker Man. But I don't see much in common between the first and last of those. The Wicker Man isn't much of an open countryside film and The Witchfinder General isn't much of a wyrd folke cult film - it's a fairly straightforward brutal bad guy and vengeful hero type film.

Discussion point - is Wolf Creek an Ausie version of folk horror?

Curious perspective on the Incredible String Band there. They're obviously very hippy and very "acid". But were they particularly pastoral for a British (of course they were Scottish not English) band though? Comparing them to US folk singers like Dylan, Oakes etc. is just not understanding the tradition they're from. Also wish they hadn't played the Hedgehog song, not that it isn't brilliant but it does lend the impression that they were twee and trivial. And yes they could be very twee, but they were making this insanely harmonically and melodically complex music that synthesised everything that was going on in British jazz and folk clubs.

Wish there had been a nod to guitarists such as Bert Jansch and Davey Graham and also to singers such as Anne Briggs and Shirley Collins, and the teaming British folk tradition of the 60's and 70's that they rested upon. Of course Collins was a card carrying Communist as well as a very important figure on the folk scene. I do recommend the documentary Ballad of Shirley Collins to anyone interested (if you can track it down).

ISB also very scientologist, after 1968 got more and more involved and used to leave copies of Dianetics Modern Science of Mental Health on the seats of their concerts as I recall. Which is about as far from hippy and acid as you can gte. Did love some of their early music though, and Williamson and Heron aren't scientologists any more :) .

If I remember correctly they became scientologists after the recording but before the release of Wee Tam and the Big Huge, which is also their last really great album. I've heard that the Changing Horses album is all about Dianetics, though I'm not sure how.

Yes early stuff was uncontaminated :) Will take a look at Changing Horses lyrics if I can find them.

Eta: nothing on any of those tracks that suggest scientology apart from the word 'clear' a couple of times but hardly explicit.

Last edited:
I've recently been listening to Clive (Palmer)'s Original Band's (known as C.O.B.) album Spirit of Love. Very hippyish but well worth a listen and free of scientology.

I think it strains the definition.

If that’s allowed then Duel is definitely in there too.

That's the thing, I don't have a definition. It's rural - a farmer in the outback even though that's very different to English countryside, it's part of modern Australian folklore (backpackers do go missing) and the landscape is very much part of the story as well themes of isolation.

Duel's pushing it a bit further I think. But I might allow Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Back
Top Bottom