Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Julie Burchill forced to apologise for twitter comments , and pay out a fat wedge .

seems very bourgeois sort of criticism to me - very middle class dinner party pass the napkins :)

Was it kosher veuve cliquot by the way?

These are clearly different kinds of parties from any I've ever been invited to. Taking two bottles of expensive champagne is nice - certainly beats turning up with a bottle of Blossom Hill - but in itself it strikes me as a bit ostentatious. I wouldn't complain and I would certainly drink it ahead of my home-brew, but it shouldn't win you special privileges.

It's just very difficult to make homebrew which is much better than rough sweet stuff that gets you hammered. And people who brew it, IME, are often blind to this issue and think they're making something of rare distinction and subtlety. I've yet to find any exception to this rule (and indeed won't now, as I have been blessed with not having to drink anyone's homebrew at all in almost 8 years)

I have a mate who makes very decent IPA. I'll drink it ahead of the stuff I've taken happily. I think you're on safer ground with beer and cider, but yeah it always has a home-brew edge to it.

I first had elderflower champagne 45 years ago and I still remember it as being lovely - was the reason I started doing it myself.

Perhaps the rabbi was too polite to point out that the bourgeois champagne wasn't kosher, and didn't want to give it to their adoptive-jewish guest either to avoid leading her astray.

(neither do I :D but it's a good line of argument)

and

there is kosher champagne so I'd imagine there is non-kosher champagne

According to this site, pretty much all wine is likely to be non-kosher unless it's been specifically made kosher. It's about who handles it rather than what's in it. Magical thinking, basically.

Interpretations vary to some extent, but to qualify as ‘kosher’ in most cases, only practising Jewish workers can handle the wine in the cellar, from crushing grapes to tasting and bottling.

Winemakers also need to be extra careful when sourcing yeasts, additives and fining agents, to make sure they are kosher, too.

Once a bottle of wine has been opened, it could cease to be kosher if handled by anyone not observant of the Sabbath.

It isn’t generally considered necessary to have the wine blessed by a rabbi, but some certification bodies may require a rabbi to supervise the production process.

What is kosher wine? A brief guide - Decanter

The whole grape/kosher thing is tricky, when the rabbi visited our kitchen he asked us if we ever intended to use wine in our products. I said no. He said, that's good, it's complicated, I forget why. (eta lbj has th einfo above).

I had a quick google and couldn't see much about Veuve being kosher, usually would have the logo on the label if so. In the UK it looks like this. (Other kosher organisations are available).

1618586291272.png

If it was kosher then it would say so on Ocado. It doesn't.

According to this site, pretty much all wine is likely to be non-kosher unless it's been specifically made kosher. It's about who handles it rather than what's in it. Magical thinking, basically.

What is kosher wine? A brief guide - Decanter

Yeah that's it. Weirdly when making food we didn't have to be Jewish or kosher. Must be something special about the grape in the Torah.

And Julie Burchill can fuck off. She's horrible, always has been, used to hate her columns in the NME.

tbf if you don't drink non-kosher wine, you really need to tell your guests beforehand.

This dinner party was an etiquette minefield. :D
If I were to be a guest at a rabbi's I'd make sure that anything I took would be kosher. Anything less would be just boorish. Let alone not mentioning it at the time but complaining about it to a wide audience afterwards.

If I were to be a guest at a rabbi's I'd make sure that anything I took would be kosher. Anything less would be just boorish. Let alone not mentioning it at the time but complaining about it to a wide audience afterwards.
If a rabbi invites me to dinner, they are likely to know I'm not Jewish, and ought to know that I'm unlikely to be well informed about what's kosher or not beyond the basics. Good manners in that instance would be: 'Don't bring booze - we'll sort you out.' Otherwise, I'd be taking along a nice bottle of red, cos that's what I do when I visit people's houses.

If a rabbi invites me to dinner, they are likely to know I'm not Jewish, and ought to know that I'm unlikely to be well informed about what's kosher or not beyond the basics. Good manners in that instance would be: 'Don't bring booze - we'll sort you out.' Otherwise, I'd be taking along a nice bottle of red, cos that's what I do when I visit people's houses.
So if you weren't vegetarian and they knew you weren't a vegetarian but you went round to their place for dinner you'd take a couple of sausage rolls and then complain to the twitterati when they weren't served up? :eek:

That's fair, but as a student of Judaism Burchill should have had half a clue. I knew and I've only spent an hour in the company of a Rabbi, total.

Back
Top Bottom