Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Julie Burchill forced to apologise for twitter comments , and pay out a fat wedge .

Last edited:
I watched Blood On Satan's Claw Knotted - it was OK. Could have done with a few musical numbers.
Melbourne Cinematheque did a couple of British horror mini-seasons, you've probably already seen a lot of these, but just in case

OLD, WEIRD ALBION: BRITISH SUPERNATURAL AND GOTHIC HORROR CINEMA FROM THE 1950s TO 1970s
Drawing upon a folkloric tradition with roots stretching back to before the Roman invasion, Britain has a rich heritage of supernatural tales. In cinema, this has translated to a powerful if eclectic body of work exploring the idea that something older, and undoubtedly malevolent, lies just below the modern surface (often literally, in an archaeological sense).
Once disturbed, these weird, unfettered forces will manifest as a direct threat to the precarious rationalism of our era’s disconnection from the natural world, folk traditions and the elemental fears of death and the afterlife. With the exception of Michael Reeves’ Witchfinder General, chronicling the brutal activities of a witch-hunter – played by Vincent Price – during the Cromwell era, the films chosen for this season follow in the tradition of the ghost stories of M. R. James (whose short story “Casting the Runes” forms the basis of the earliest film in our season, Jacques Tourneur’s extraordinary Night of the Demon), forsaking historical settings to reveal terror erupting amongst contemporary communities. This season – a sequel to our 2018 focus on British psychological horror – explores an atmospheric but similarly psychologically motivated legacy of eerie cinema. From Jack Clayton’s masterful and influential adaptation of Henry James’ The Turn of the Screw, The Innocents, onwards to The Wicker Man’s terrifying encounter between the old, pagan Britain and the veneer of modern Christianity that replaced it, this is a season promising lashings of cinematic strangeness, dread and unease.
  • THE HAUNTING Robert Wise (1963) 111 mins – PG
  • THE INNOCENTS Jack Clayton (1961) 100 mins – M
  • THE WICKER MAN: THE FINAL CUT Robin Hardy (1973) 94 mins – M
  • WITCHFINDER GENERAL Michael Reeves (1968) 86 mins – R 18+
  • NIGHT OF THE DEMON Jacques Tourneur (1957) 95 mins – PG
  • NIGHT OF THE EAGLE Sidney Hayers (1962) 90 mins – PG

TWISTED NERVE: BRITISH PSYCHOLOGICAL HORROR OF THE 1960s AND 1970s
Although the British horror genre is often defined by the rich legacies of gothic literature, Shakespeare, Bram Stoker, Mary Shelley, the ghost stories
of M. R. James, the films of Hammer and a range of other influences and precedents, there is also a rich vein of “psychological horror” that emerged in late 1950s British cinema and betrays the impact of Freudian and Lacanian psychoanalysis, the fractured post-war psyche, the reportage of true-crime mass and serial murders, shifts in censorship, and the arrival in the UK’s rapidly changing film industry of European and American directors such as Roman Polanski, Richard Fleischer and Wolf Rilla. This season focuses on a range of the most provocative, potent and obsessive of these films, exploring the dark and disturbed psychology and psychosis of modern British society. It opens with one of the most notorious and influential works of the subgenre, Michael Powell’s profoundly cinematic, deeply personal and patently disturbed Peeping Tom, a film that met with outrage and derision on its initial release. The film’s portrait of the damaged, murderous and poetic psyche of its lead protagonist, a focus puller working in the British studio system, provides a point of comparison and contrast with the other movies included in this season – such as Nicolas Roeg’s extraordinary Don’t Look Now and Fleischer’s truly chilling portrait of serial killer John Christie, 10 Rillington Place – and its focus on the impact of trauma, environment, sexuality and tradition on an increasingly cracked national consciousness. These films also reflect a deeper tradition of British horror literature, ranging from cryptographer Leo Marks’ original script for Peeping Tom to seminal mid-century writers such as Daphne du Maurier and John Wyndham.
  • PEEPING TOM, MICHAEL POWELL (1960) 101 MINS – M
  • 10 RILLINGTON PLACE, RICHARD FLEISCHER (1971) 106 MINS – M
  • VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED WOLF RILLA (1960) 77 MINS – PG
  • SYMPTOMS JOSÉ RAMÓN LARRAZ (1974) 92 MINS – M
  • DON’T LOOK NOW NICOLAS ROEG (1973) 110 MINS – M
  • REPULSION ROMAN POLANSKI (1965) 105 MINS – M
(EDIT: Should have followed the old rule of reading to the end of a thread before posting, last page makes this post very out of place.)

Last edited:
Melbourne Cinematheque did a couple of British horror mini-seasons, you've probably already seen a lot of these, but just in case

OLD, WEIRD ALBION: BRITISH SUPERNATURAL AND GOTHIC HORROR CINEMA FROM THE 1950s TO 1970s
Drawing upon a folkloric tradition with roots stretching back to before the Roman invasion, Britain has a rich heritage of supernatural tales. In cinema, this has translated to a powerful if eclectic body of work exploring the idea that something older, and undoubtedly malevolent, lies just below the modern surface (often literally, in an archaeological sense).
Once disturbed, these weird, unfettered forces will manifest as a direct threat to the precarious rationalism of our era’s disconnection from the natural world, folk traditions and the elemental fears of death and the afterlife. With the exception of Michael Reeves’ Witchfinder General, chronicling the brutal activities of a witch-hunter – played by Vincent Price – during the Cromwell era, the films chosen for this season follow in the tradition of the ghost stories of M. R. James (whose short story “Casting the Runes” forms the basis of the earliest film in our season, Jacques Tourneur’s extraordinary Night of the Demon), forsaking historical settings to reveal terror erupting amongst contemporary communities. This season – a sequel to our 2018 focus on British psychological horror – explores an atmospheric but similarly psychologically motivated legacy of eerie cinema. From Jack Clayton’s masterful and influential adaptation of Henry James’ The Turn of the Screw, The Innocents, onwards to The Wicker Man’s terrifying encounter between the old, pagan Britain and the veneer of modern Christianity that replaced it, this is a season promising lashings of cinematic strangeness, dread and unease.
  • THE HAUNTING Robert Wise (1963) 111 mins – PG
  • THE INNOCENTS Jack Clayton (1961) 100 mins – M
  • THE WICKER MAN: THE FINAL CUT Robin Hardy (1973) 94 mins – M
  • WITCHFINDER GENERAL Michael Reeves (1968) 86 mins – R 18+
  • NIGHT OF THE DEMON Jacques Tourneur (1957) 95 mins – PG
  • NIGHT OF THE EAGLE Sidney Hayers (1962) 90 mins – PG

TWISTED NERVE: BRITISH PSYCHOLOGICAL HORROR OF THE 1960s AND 1970s
Although the British horror genre is often defined by the rich legacies of gothic literature, Shakespeare, Bram Stoker, Mary Shelley, the ghost stories
of M. R. James, the films of Hammer and a range of other influences and precedents, there is also a rich vein of “psychological horror” that emerged in late 1950s British cinema and betrays the impact of Freudian and Lacanian psychoanalysis, the fractured post-war psyche, the reportage of true-crime mass and serial murders, shifts in censorship, and the arrival in the UK’s rapidly changing film industry of European and American directors such as Roman Polanski, Richard Fleischer and Wolf Rilla. This season focuses on a range of the most provocative, potent and obsessive of these films, exploring the dark and disturbed psychology and psychosis of modern British society. It opens with one of the most notorious and influential works of the subgenre, Michael Powell’s profoundly cinematic, deeply personal and patently disturbed Peeping Tom, a film that met with outrage and derision on its initial release. The film’s portrait of the damaged, murderous and poetic psyche of its lead protagonist, a focus puller working in the British studio system, provides a point of comparison and contrast with the other movies included in this season – such as Nicolas Roeg’s extraordinary Don’t Look Now and Fleischer’s truly chilling portrait of serial killer John Christie, 10 Rillington Place – and its focus on the impact of trauma, environment, sexuality and tradition on an increasingly cracked national consciousness. These films also reflect a deeper tradition of British horror literature, ranging from cryptographer Leo Marks’ original script for Peeping Tom to seminal mid-century writers such as Daphne du Maurier and John Wyndham.
  • PEEPING TOM, MICHAEL POWELL (1960) 101 MINS – M
  • 10 RILLINGTON PLACE, RICHARD FLEISCHER (1971) 106 MINS – M
  • VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED WOLF RILLA (1960) 77 MINS – PG
  • SYMPTOMS JOSÉ RAMÓN LARRAZ (1974) 92 MINS – M
  • DON’T LOOK NOW NICOLAS ROEG (1973) 110 MINS – M
  • REPULSION ROMAN POLANSKI (1965) 105 MINS – M
(EDIT: Should have followed the old rule of reading to the end of a thread before posting, last page makes this post very out of place.)
astonished no 'the devil rides out' in your lists

also the 1950s seems rather late for the impact of freudian psychoanalysis and rather early for lacan, who wasn't translated into english until the 1960s

Every POC of course, should run around like your girlfriend, searching for reasons to play the race card at the drop of a hat. That's far more helpful.
*mod mode

Why are you bringing up personal stuff here? It's out of order and if you persist you will be banned.

Update: you're now banned off this thread for a week.

Last edited:
I once had to endure a live performance of Michael Jackson the musical with my kids nan. I swear the audience consisted of middle aged women getting off on young black men thrusting a lot. Very peculiar indeed.

The only good musical is the blues brothers. Everything else is just a painful wank to nowhere. Every time I mention I don't like musicals someone recommends me one :D Why do that?? Can't people just accept that not everyone likes the same shit as them?
I'd never even thought of Blues Brothers as a musical...

I'm not a huge fan of musicals, to listen to, but I've played and sang in a few, and quite enjoy them from that perspective. I do have a soft spot for Les Miserables, which is a "sung through" musical...

It seems an obvious point but so often doesn’t get said that musicals rather live and die by the quality of their music.

I can’t stand the Andrew Lloyd Webber or Broadway style of music that is full of suspended chords whilst the performers drone out half-spoken, half-sung lines with little melody.

But I love musicals that have... wait for it... music I love! West Side Story, for instance. Amazingly good.

It seems an obvious point but so often doesn’t get said that musicals rather live and die by the quality of their music.

I can’t stand the Andrew Lloyd Webber or Broadway style of music that is full of suspended chords whilst the performers drone out half-spoken, half-sung lines with little melody.

But I love musicals that have... wait for it... music I love! West Side Story, for instance. Amazingly good.
Leonard Bernstein - a proper composer!

Reactions: tim
The first two Godfathers are among my favourite films. I regularly rewatch them. But I quite agree, Citizen Kane is a yawnfest. Beautifully lit, but dull dull dull.
Watched both Godfathers on consecutive nights recently and they were still both brilliant. I've been negotiating with banks recently and I had this in my mind throughout:

TYp3S.gif

I've not got round to Citizen Kane yet.

"My corona," to the tune of My Sharona by the Knack.

Jan 2020 called :mad:

Ooh, my little pretty one, my pretty one
When you gonna give me some time, Corona
Ooh, you make my nose run, my nose run
Gonna need a fluid IV line, Corona

Never really looked at all the lyrics before. It's a bit paedo eh?

Never gonna stop, give it up, such a dirty mind
I always get it up, for the touch of the younger kind
My, my, my, aye-aye, whoa!
M-m-m-my Sharona

Back
Top Bottom