Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Julie Burchill forced to apologise for twitter comments , and pay out a fat wedge .

imo a musical is a film in which the action stops for people to have a sing-song, then the action starts again. Bit like ad breaks.

By that measure, Wicker Man is not a musical. It is a film in which people play music.
Nonsense. The action often continues while they’re singing.

imo a musical is a film in which the action stops for people to have a sing-song, then the action starts again. Bit like ad breaks.

By that measure, Wicker Man is not a musical. It is a film in which people play music.
by this measure I just made up, the wicker man is not a musical.

The 'musical' bits in the Wicker Man are there because they're tonally inappropriate, not because the film a musical and they're supposed to be there.

When I say 'make sense' I don't just mean the plot. I mean something broader about whether it would hang together, would it form a coherent whole?

The rule for something being a musical is pretty straight forward isn't it. - People within the world of the film start singing. So it's a musical. Obvs

We start off with the news of the suspected murder of a young woman, then walk into this incredibly pervy barroom singalong about a young woman. It's not supposed to be a fun happy moment, it's a 'something is wrong here' moment.

It's not the Sarah Everard thread Frank. It's the Julie Burchill one.

A musical switches between two different modes: standard drama and song. The characters suddenly burst into song in situations where they wouldn't in real life. In the Wicker Man, there's no mode-switching. The characters are singing because they're singing. Even the naked Britt Eckland bit, albeit the singing is a bit weird, but that's the idea: we're supposed to accept that she really is singing.

Back
Top Bottom