Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Julie Burchill forced to apologise for twitter comments , and pay out a fat wedge .

A musical switches between two different modes: standard drama and song. The characters suddenly burst into song in situations where they wouldn't in real life. In the Wicker Man, there's no mode-switching. The characters are singing because they're singing. Even the naked Britt Eckland bit, albeit the singing is a bit weird, but that's the idea: we're supposed to accept that she really is singing.
yeh carousel, grease or the sound of music this ain't

A musical switches between two different modes: standard drama and song. The characters suddenly burst into song in situations where they wouldn't in real life. In the Wicker Man, there's no mode-switching. The characters are singing because they're singing. Even the naked Britt Eckland bit, albeit the singing is a bit weird, but that's the idea: we're supposed to accept that she really is singing.

Yes alright. But I watch it as a musical with anticipation for the musical numbers.

If it was a standard musical it would have opened with Edward Woodward tap-dancing while singing exposition about being a virgin Scottish cop saving himself for marriage.

Apparently something along those lines has been attempted:

We start off with the news of the suspected murder of a young woman, then walk into this incredibly pervy barroom singalong about a young woman. It's not supposed to be a fun happy moment, it's a 'something is wrong here' moment.
Yes, exactly

There’s plenty of musicals in which the songs are performed as part of real life

I'm surprised Nicolas Cage hasn't appeared in "Wicker: The Musical" on Broadway yet.

"Not the bees, not the bees, Jesus Christ, they're stinging my knees...."

Some films can be half-and-half, like Frozen. The first part of the story is told through the songs. But the last part is just an adventure and they all stop singing.

"I don't like the form of two-dimensional images being used to represent three-dimensional objects, therefore all paintings are crap."

Back
Top Bottom