Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Johann Hari admits copying and pasting interview quotes

It's fiction. He is taking a quote given to somebody else in an interview or written in a book, and claiming it to be something given to him in an interview, and making up a fictional context to try to cover that up. It's not journalism. It's dishonesty and plagiarism. It's fair enough when writing fiction, but not appropriate in journalism.

Though admittedly these days there's not a lot that journalists don't currently seem to consider to be appropriate in journalism.

As Johann Hari admitted to me the last time I sat with him, sipping his latte with the last ever copy of the News of the World, a Wikipedia page open on his Netbook

I rather imagine the invites will dry up after all this.

He's managed to discredit himself, so I doubt the collective left will be damaged in the grand scheme of things. He may be a poster boy for the liberals or advancing a shady right wing agenda or affiliating himself with the left... but even if he's been displaying his duality; it comes across as duplicity, according to what I've seen here.

Oh great, a fucking Manichean! :facepalm:

Hari's still a better writer than a hell of a lot of other journalists out there.

So he's still shit, look at the appalling Negri article, look at the terrible articles shihi quoted from.

And they aren't just utterly shit pieces of journalism it's clear from them that Hari's politics are neo-liberalism to the core.

David Allen Green (the bloke who uncovered all this new stuff - "Intellectual fraud on industrial scale.") is now effectively saying that Rose is Hari, but that he can't actually say it due to the libel laws. Guy Walters was also going into print with the claim in the New Statesman yesterday but appears to have met something blocking him at the last minute. Hari has previously threatened legal action against a (shit) blog that merely said that a reviewer wouldn't want a reputation for getting facts wrong.

Breaking: Johann Hari suspended for 2 months pending internal Independent Investigation by ex-editor Andreas Whittam-Smith

Back
Top Bottom