Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Joe Biden

The one thing Trump could capitalise on is Biden's alleged sexual conduct. I wonder why he's not pushing that line of attack?

Yeah - because Biden’s the man to sort all that out 😂
also, and entirely unsurprisingly, you've missed the point - by a mile.
Biden is not in office now, so can't be jusdged on that, only on Obama's quite successful administration
Trump is in office now, he will be judged on how he's handled the pandemic, and there's near-universal consensus he's made as big aq bollocks of it as is humanly possible.
There, that should be basic and simple enough for even you to faintly grasp.

also, and entirely unsurprisingly, you've missed the point - by a mile.
Biden is not in office now, so can't be jusdged on that, only on Obama's quite successful administration
Trump is in office now, he will be judged on how he's handled the pandemic, and there's near-universal consensus he's made as big aq bollocks of it as is humanly possible.
There, that should be basic and simple enough for even you to faintly grasp.

:facepalm:

Biden doesn’t know what day it is ffs.

His ‘dog faced pony solider’ remark has been the sole highlight of his campaign to date!

:facepalm:

Biden doesn’t know what day it is ffs.

His ‘dog faced pony solider’ remark has been the sole highlight of his campaign to date!
Thank you for illustrating you haven't got a fucking clue about Joe Biden, American politics, or America itself.
Having spent an awful lot of my time in the USA , and having built up a political network in the process, I'll go with my and their considerable cumulative knowledge over your total ignorance, every time.
You're simply wrong - as you are on most things. And most Americans would say you are

They are shy
How so? (1, 2) The national polling was pretty much bang on in 2016.

The amazing thing about Trump's support is how constant it has been, so where is any growth in Trump's vote going to come from? On the other hand there's a decent amount of evidence that Biden is getting more support than Clinton did. Now it is possible that Trump loses the popular vote but still gets the electoral college but remember 2016 was very close. And while it is possible for Biden to win the popular vote by a bigger margin than Clinton and still not win it that becomes a lot less likely by the time you get leads of 5% (let alone the 8% Biden is currently polling).

Last edited:
If we could choose between four years of Biden and Trump, what would we - the hive mind - pick?

I think there's a fair case to be made that Biden is worse.

Thank you for illustrating you haven't got a fucking clue about Joe Biden, American politics, or America itself.
Having spent an awful lot of my time in the USA , and having built up a political network in the process, I'll go with my and their considerable cumulative knowledge over your total ignorance, every time.
You're simply wrong - as you are on most things. And most Americans would say you are

Wow - I had no idea you are such a political sage of American politics or that you spoke on behalf of ‘most Americans’.

(doffs cap)

I think there's a fair case to be made that Biden is worse.
I'd like to hear it (genuinely); only liberal interventions abroad off top of my head and Trump's showing with his policies he can contribute to the deaths of a lot of non-Americans too without sending in the boys - border policy, failure to control an epidemic etc. Realise Biden will be all sorts of shit but Trump is in another league particularly domestically.

Worse than Trump?

Make that case!

(I'm very far from a Biden fan, btw)
Trump and his administration has achieved relatively little of significance outside of rhetoric. I mean, loads of bad stuff has happened but it seems to me he hasn't managed to actually enact very much.

He's delegitimised the office and the state which depending on your viewpoint is a good thing. It's a slow reveal to many of the failures of populism, and it and its consequences are only part done. He's emboldened the left and there's meaningful direct action for the first time in a while. The right aren't yet exhaustively embarrassed by their project's failure - they'll be ready to go again with someone else. This all takes longer than we've had. And I know this is close to a failed strategy of immiseration but the results remain. Even from a point of view where America has terminal faults that will lead to its failure in the short to medium term, he's at least accelerated that.

Biden is the opposite of all of this but not in a good way. He'll obscure those fundamentals but they'll still be there. He'll restore some legitimacy to something that shouldn't have any. He has no vision for resolving or even mediating the fatal flaws in the American state. More pressingly he won't and probably can't deal effectively with things like Covid so won't make a material difference to many of today's crises - whilst the headlines may be more favourable, lots of people will still die. He will probably utilise the degradation of expectations brought about by Trump in his favour, so this is not magically back to Obamaism anyway, it's a modifier on what we have now.

TL;DR if your aim is meaningful change then maybe it's better to let things burn.

The problem with electing an almost-corpse is who's holding him up. If it's a well organised cabal like the ones that stood behind Bush jr and Reagan then slightly progressive neo liberalism at home and quite possibly a strong return to military intervensionism based on the (wrong) idea that it was only WW2 that really ended the great depression.

If it's just an old man with delining faculties and a thousand different cliques with different ideas and priorities trying to get his attention then it could end up quite a mess. Though likely to get an easy ish ride from portions of the established media there's now a lot more out there to the right of Fox and they will be trying to make it as difficult as possible. There's a tiny possibility of some sort of armed response from the 3%ers or whoever but my impression is that while they have the weapons they don't really have the numbers.

My favourite unlikely (and probably ill-informed) scenario is that Trump loses the popular vote by an even bigger margin while just managing to steal the electoral college with widespread controversy about voter suppresion/Russian interference leading to armed resistance from the left. Or California trying to secede. That would be more fun (to watch from the other side of the Atlantic).

It's entirely possible, in fact it's necessary, to reject electoralism without "letting things burn"
As ever, whilst this is true on paper, what does it mean in practice? How is this possibility realistically going to be manifested in today's America? It's not the theory you and I disagree on with stuff like this, it's always turning it into anything tangible.

You can surely recognise at a minimum that a significant number of people - IMO a critical mass - will be sated by Biden winning, when they have no cause to be. Thus ostensibly 'better' is in some ways the opposite.

Trump and his administration has achieved relatively little of significance outside of rhetoric. I mean, loads of bad stuff has happened but it seems to me he hasn't managed to actually enact very much.

He's delegitimised the office and the state which depending on your viewpoint is a good thing. It's a slow reveal to many of the failures of populism, and it and its consequences are only part done. He's emboldened the left and there's meaningful direct action for the first time in a while. The right aren't yet exhaustively embarrassed by their project's failure - they'll be ready to go again with someone else. This all takes longer than we've had. And I know this is close to a failed strategy of immiseration but the results remain. Even from a point of view where America has terminal faults that will lead to its failure in the short to medium term, he's at least accelerated that.

Biden is the opposite of all of this but not in a good way. He'll obscure those fundamentals but they'll still be there. He'll restore some legitimacy to something that shouldn't have any. He has no vision for resolving or even mediating the fatal flaws in the American state. More pressingly he won't and probably can't deal effectively with things like Covid so won't make a material difference to many of today's crises - whilst the headlines may be more favourable, lots of people will still die. He will probably utilise the degradation of expectations brought about by Trump in his favour, so this is not magically back to Obamaism anyway, it's a modifier on what we have now.

TL;DR if your aim is meaningful change then maybe it's better to let things burn.
The problem is letting things burn will produce meaningful change of a very bad sort.

As ever, whilst this is true on paper, what does it mean in practice? How is this possibility realistically going to be manifested in today's America? It's not the theory you and I disagree on with stuff like this, it's always turning it into anything tangible.

You can surely recognise at a minimum that a significant number of people - IMO a critical mass - will be sated by Biden winning, when they have no cause to be. Thus ostensibly 'better' is in some ways the opposite.
Still think in practice it's marginally better. Think you're right it might let the old dispensation stagger on that bit longer but gives it a chance to be changed slightly less catastrophically. Letting trump burn it all down is a throw of the dice with them loaded in favour of worse not better imo.

Still think in practice it's marginally better. Think you're right it might let the old dispensation stagger on that bit longer but gives it a chance to be changed slightly less catastrophically. Letting trump burn it all down is a throw of the dice with them loaded in favour of worse not better imo.
It really is a dice roll and I certainly wouldn't assert either option as being better - merely that Biden is not necessarily good and it's dangerous to fall into that trap. It's also possible that I'm 'differently wrong' - for example that Biden fucks up so badly in office that he's actually much like Trump only without the same level of toxicity.

More pressingly he won't and probably can't deal effectively with things like Covid so won't make a material difference to many of today's crises - whilst the headlines may be more favourable, lots of people will still die.

Biden doesn't seem that bad on Covid, no worse than other Western leaders with a middling response anyway - he's basically said he'll mostly shut up and let the people who know their shit, like Anthony Fauci, lead the way, which would be a big step up from having a president who spends his days actively trying to undermine his own government's top health experts.

Back
Top Bottom