Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Elon Musk the greatest visionary or the greatest snake oil salesman of our age?

You could probably say that of all social media platforms to some degree.

You probably could but, as someone who has never been a participant on any social media platform, I get the impression from what I read on Urban that Musk-owned Xitter is now qualitatively worse than social media platforms of, say, a decade ago.

It does seem slightly odd and more than slightly disappointing that so many Urban posters still regularly post links, and (without understanding what the technical limits might be) that Urban is still set up to allow Twitter links.

You've rightly decided not to allow any sort of advertising here editor, and I'm sure most of us are hugely grateful for that. Maybe it's time to seriously consider making Urban Twitter-free as well as ad-free.

You probably could but, as someone who has never been a participant on any social media platform, I get the impression from what I read on Urban that Musk-owned Xitter is now qualitatively worse than social media platforms of, say, a decade ago.

It does seem slightly odd and more than slightly disappointing that so many Urban posters still regularly post links, and (without understanding what the technical limits might be) that Urban is still set up to allow Twitter links.

You've rightly decided not to allow any sort of advertising here editor, and I'm sure most of us are hugely grateful for that. Maybe it's time to seriously consider making Urban Twitter-free as well as ad-free.
The owner of X/Twitter incited racist riots in this country. He made comments that were incitement, and he re-posted the most vile racist posts. By having an account with Twitter, people are actually enabling this racist. His income stream depends on people engaging. The advertisers would not advertise on X is there were no posts and no-one had an account.

Being on Twitter is like funding a fascist magazine. Would an opponent of racism and fascism subscribe to a fascist magazine on the grounds that it occasionally published their letters?

You could probably say that of all social media platforms to some degree.

Following that logic to its conclusion is an argument for paralysis at best and collusion at worst. A line should be drawn somewhere, and I think X would be a good place to start.

Personally I would get rid of Facebook shite too. But it's editor's call with regards to this site.

Ceci n'est pas un social media platform.

facebook-cover-fashion-sale-social-media-web-banner-template-design_567310-818.jpg

In support of BigMoaner ’s ongoing documenting of Musk’s terminally online subjectivity.

145 tweets in the day the journalist happened to document, mostly during about 4pm to 2am and 8am to noon. Just a basement dweller constantly hitting the dopamine button.

In support of BigMoaner ’s ongoing documenting of Musk’s terminally online subjectivity.

145 tweets in the day the journalist happened to document, mostly during about 4pm to 2am and 8am to noon. Just a basement dweller constantly hitting the dopamine button.
I get the sense that it's more important to him that almost everything. To be seen as the edgy man of the (right wing) people.

so much is lost, really. you can go very deep wtih this, with musk, especially co-opting someone like Heidegger, or the contemplative traditions, all sorts. And what is equally as fascinting is that he has the means to actually live pretty much any existance he wants. When you break it down it's super weird to be drawn back to a machine over and over and over, day after day. When you think of all the other things onecould be doing (and thinking). Just to return over and over, day after day, year after year. It is teh exact opposite of idle, wondering, aimless, purposeless thought.

1726303756797.png

$7000 electric car Tesla Model C
It's got a decent amount of tech. Uses lithium phosphate batteries which are allegesly longer life and more stable. Tesla is Committed to battery life of 1 million miles.
The video shows one of Teslas Giga Factories powered by renewable energy....solar and wind... They make everything onsite for these cars. Which keeps costs down.
Have to say..I am impressed... much as I dislike Musk...I am impressed at what he is trying to do with cars.
You can subscribe monthly for the car and either buy outright after a few years or trade back. He wants people to also rent out their cars when not in use.
Pretty good safety features.
Steel frame though...so...hmm.. rust?
Will it change the world?

$7,000 would be an insanely low price, so I looked it up, and the proposed price - it's not due out till next year - is $20-25,000 for "basic trim." That sounds pretty good if basic trim does mean usable rather than it being Ryanair-style pricing or having a subscription on top. We'll have to wait and see. Not that I'm going to be biting a car anyway, but subscriptions would definitely put me off if I were.

The article I looked up though had this line, which confused me:

"According to a Tesla Engineering HQ video, teams of people and robots will work on fully assembling separate parts of the car and marrying them all together at the end in one go, meaning the whole car is only fully built once."

Er, is the implication that cars are often built more than once??

$7,000 would be an insanely low price, so I looked it up, and the proposed price - it's not due out till next year - is $20-25,000 for "basic trim." That sounds pretty good if basic trim does mean usable rather than it being Ryanair-style pricing or having a subscription on top. We'll have to wait and see. Not that I'm going to be biting a car anyway, but subscriptions would definitely put me off if I were.

The article I looked up though had this line, which confused me:

"According to a Tesla Engineering HQ video, teams of people and robots will work on fully assembling separate parts of the car and marrying them all together at the end in one go, meaning the whole car is only fully built once."

Er, is the implication that cars are often built more than once??
It would be really cheap. I could not believe it but after another look online here are a few more tiny electric cars (not tesla) that start in the range of $7000 up.
Never thought there could be such a price for a new car..

The first two "cars" (quadricycles, legally) aren't a good solution. For 90% of people, it would be impossible for them to be a primary car. They make great second cars, but I don't think encouraging multiple vehicle ownership is a good thing.

The Fiat 500e is great, but it's a fuckload more than $7k usd.

I'm betting a shiny, new pound coin that musk/Tesla never sell a new car for $7k.

He's just a bullshitter.

For comparison, BYD are offering their Dolphin electric family hatchback for £26 grand. If you really want a small, cheap electric vehicle, then Micro offer their Microlino which is so small that the Lite version is not even legally classified as a car, and can be driven on an AM licence. That costs £17-18 grand depending on version.

I believe that small, cheap electric vehicles are a significant way forward for the future of personal transport. But Musk is full of shit when he says that Teslas will be sold for 7 grand. The only way that could ever happen is if Tesla are going totally bankrupt and having a fire sale, and given how network-dependent Tesla vehicles are, one would have to be a complete idiot even to accept such a vehicle for free.

Last edited:
This guy should be getting visits from the Secret Service, not multibillion-dollar government contracts

View attachment 442884

He was just "joking", apparently

“Well, one lesson I’ve learned is that just because I say something to a group and they laugh doesn’t mean it’s going to be all that hilarious as a post on X,” he later wrote. “Turns out that jokes are WAY less funny if people don’t know the context and the delivery is plain text.”

Back
Top Bottom