Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Elon Musk the greatest visionary or the greatest snake oil salesman of our age?

UK Musk fans be like, 'yes, I will close down my FSCS-assured bank accounts and move all my money to a website that gives it to rapists, sex traffickers and fascists'.
..."I can't wait for the brain chip! And for musk to have all my data to harvest, tracking me from an inch within my life. And the NYT should all be hung for controlling us all..."

Meanwhile, Musk is still delusional:

I guess it's another Musk Lie. Like 'Self Driving will be here next year' for every year since 2015 or '1,000,000 people on Mars by 2050'. Whether it's delusion or hype who knows?
I wouldn't trust the fucker with 1 Satoshi or a Flanian Pobble Bead, let alone a real currency.
He requires trust and has trashed that with his purchasing and wrecking of Twitter. Only his biggest fanboys are going to give him money, not that he's going to get the licenses anyway as they will require a lot of regulation and a huge investment in compliance teams on top of the people needed to code the thing.

Putting effort and skill into being a cunt still makes you a cunt.
Many years ago when this site and the internet were still in their infancy, trolling was a thing that some of the kids did and sometimes, yep, it could be amusing.

Back then, some were lauded and seen as legends and heroes. (A bit like the way famous alcoholics like Oliver Reed etc were idolised for their exploits.)

Now we're older, the internet (and most of us) have changed and things like misogyny, casual homophobia, general fucking about etc are rightly challenged.

If someone's really that desperate to dick around, twitter or X is perhaps their spiritual home, rather than pissing all over urban. Am sure Musk would welcome such efforts with open arms.

Occasionally someone will carp on about how urban's changed and isn't the same anymore. Well, yeah. That's because we're twenty years older, now.

Now we're older, the internet (and most of us) have changed and things like misogyny, casual homophobia, general fucking about etc are rightly challenged.
I spend a lot of time thinking about the way the world has changed in the last twenty years. Sure, I am / we are getting older, but there's more at work. Gone are the days when a conspiracy theory was a bit of laugh (lunar landings, alien autopsy, etc).

It's all became so damn serious - and rightly so, because the threats have gotten real. The trolls are meaner and nastier. Mostly they're not even trolling. They are actually bad people with vile opinions. Ugg. Thank god for the urban oasis.

Meanwhile, Musk is still delusional:

"...it would blow my mind if we don’t have that rolled out by the end of next year."

er... what?

“When I say payments, I actually mean someone’s entire financial life,” Musk said

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

What a fucking idiot.

I spend a lot of time thinking about the way the world has changed in the last twenty years. Sure, I am / we are getting older, but there's more at work. Gone are the days when a conspiracy theory was a bit of laugh (lunar landings, alien autopsy, etc).

It's all became so damn serious - and rightly so, because the threats have gotten real. The trolls are meaner and nastier. Mostly they're not even trolling. They are actually bad people with vile opinions. Ugg. Thank god for the urban oasis.
Conspiracy theories are entertaining/absorbing/great fun to read. Not so when they become movements/common parlance

"...it would blow my mind if we don’t have that rolled out by the end of next year."

er... what?

“When I say payments, I actually mean someone’s entire financial life,” Musk said

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

What a fucking idiot.
There are, sadly, probably a few million people in the world who would give Musk their entire financial life if he asked them.

Teuchter is bloody genius at trolling, they manage to wind up people up, while they themselves carry serenely on. That takes effort and skill. 👍

I include myself in the group Teuchter winds up.
Too easy to ignore though. I've actually got Phil on ignore but the way he's still managed to completely ruin just about every thread on the politics forums is impressive though obviously sad as fuck for an Oxbridge educated university professor who must be in his 50s at least.

The good old days, watching X files, the JFK film, reading Fortean times and stoned conversations about temporal lobe seizures and out-of-body experiences. Not the same anymore.

Both still exist but unfortunately we amplify the crazier people now. Social media, online media but also all of us. I guess people on the edge are ultimately more of a story and now they're just a scroll and a share away.

teuchter if you are bothered by what I posted please let me know and I'll delete it. I don't want to come across as bullying at all, and I honestly don't mean it in a bullying way. :)

Not at all.

It's a mystery to me why some people come up with these conspiracy theories that I am carrying out some kind of ingenious wind up operation, but it doesn't bother me.

There are loads of people with quite odd views on here - who knows how many of them are serious or just having a laugh. I like to drop in to see what the latest nonsense is, and consider asking some questions or offering a bit of advice now and again as perfectly acceptable behaviour.

In fairness "success" implies he's doing it deliberately. Which if he is, fair play, he does an incredible impression of a complete idiot.
He wrote an article noting that he deliberately took positions to cause reactions.
That was some years ago and I've no idea if that's what he's doing now or if he's gone so far down the rabbit hole he can't get out.

Last edited:
Too easy to ignore though. I've actually got Phil on ignore but the way he's still managed to completely ruin just about every thread on the politics forums is impressive though obviously sad as fuck for an Oxbridge educated university professor who must be in his 50s at least.
Only because others insist on constantly replying though. I wish more people just ignored him, and some others, would save a lot of threads from being trashed.

It’s a shame cos there is of course issues with how the state is structured in the whole apparatus of our societies, that requires so much more analysis (and thought) than the gibbering horseshit of “truthers” and the like.

But then the threads become filled with Dwyer's unanswered bollocks which looks to any new readers like the site agrees with it all. There's a better way to deal with threads being trashed like that :thumbs:
Ban them? Not in the control of posters.

Reply and fill the thread with page after page of bullshit until anyone posting anything worth reading fucks off and the thread dies?

It’s a shame cos there is of course issues with how the state is structured in the whole apparatus of our societies, that requires so much more analysis (and thought) than the gibbering horseshit of “truthers” and the like.
Instead we have the ridiculousness of people allegedly of the ‘left’ going out to bat for libertarian billionaires. These people are on rails, guided by algorithms, yet preach about freedom.

Common Sense Skeptic channel's breakdown of the Tesla Q3 Earnings call and Musk's latest cavalcade of bullshit.

In the old days, we all knew Don’t Feed The Troll. They get bored and wonder off of nobody bites.

That shit never fucking happens. A sincere interlocutor might wander off if they feel they're not being listened to, because such a person might reasonably conclude that they're not wanted or don't fit in, and act accordingly. Trolls are by definition not reasonable people, they won't just wander off if people don't respond to their initial attempts, instead what they do is they escalate their behaviour. Like bullies, except trolls target whole communities rather than single individuals. Telling people to ignore trolls is just as pointless as telling them to ignore bullies.

Indeed, the fault of the trolls shitting up threads is either the posters who respond, or the posters who don't respond and just let them shit away or - and this is unpopular I know - it's the fault of the trolls themselves.

One possibility would be to report the post where it gets too much for people and just say "I've had enough they're going on ignore now" and let editor decide if he gets enough reported posts?

Back
Top Bottom