Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Elon Musk the greatest visionary or the greatest snake oil salesman of our age?

what is wrong with the number 5?
asking for a friend...

Eh, I thought "banknotes!" and got a bit carried away. :oops:

The number “5” aka “five” is one of an elite group known as the “prime numbers”. The rest of the integers owe their existence to the “primes”, who rule them with a rod iron.

I have no idea whether you're joking or not, that's were this shit's at. 😭

Eh, I thought "banknotes!" and got a bit carried away. :oops:

I have no idea whether you're joking or not, that's were this shit's at. 😭
It is a fact that all whole numbers are the products of prime numbers, which are like the "atoms" of numbers. Prime numbers, such as 5, are divisible only by themselves and 1.

Top men are working on it

View attachment 394647
cGVn.jpeg

It is a fact that all whole numbers are the products of prime numbers, which are like the "atoms" of numbers. Prime numbers, such as 5, are divisible only by themselves and 1.
:facepalm: I didn't take that in at all did I?! :oops: In fairness my night meds are kicking in. I'll just crawl under this carpet now...

Reactions: PTK
We seem to have entered a strange, topsy-turvey land in which Elon Musk is a thickie
You do realise Elon Musk isn't actually a rocket scientist? He doesn't have an engineering degree either. And he can't even run basic code.

He's an investor with a talent for self-promotion who owes his starting capital to his family who owned diamond mines in apartheid South Africa. I don't see why anyone considers him smart? We all know his views and they are superficial and poorly thought out. If he was an Urban75 poster you wouldn't consider him to be smart.

Musk certainly seems smart at hiring rocket scientists, being the hype man for his electric car company, and doing whatever he did to make his millions with PayPal, but after those successes he's apparently Dunning-Krugered himself into thinking he's an expert on everything, including how to run a social media company

You do realise Elon Musk isn't actually a rocket scientist? He doesn't have an engineering degree either. And he can't even run basic code.

He's an investor with a talent for self-promotion who owes his starting capital to his family who owned diamond mines in apartheid South Africa. I don't see why anyone considers him smart? We all know his views and they are superficial and poorly thought out. If he was an Urban75 poster you wouldn't consider him to be smart.
That’s well worth a read.

And NFT guys really know what a grifter and conman looks like

have to confess, i thought he was some hyper talented engineer, some STEM king. so when he was on rogan etc, i thought here was an interview with someone exceptionally talented and clever (although i don't place huge amounts of value on STEM stuff - i get fan boy like with the humanities: philosophers, artists, etc), but he was still interesting in that regard.

But what a sham, right? A grift! Just a rich kid with the power to invest and buy and hire.

Actually thinking about it, it's incredibly deceptive if he is not stating the fact. He should have gone on Rogan etc and at some point said "look joe, i am just a money man, this stuff is not my expertise".

you can get lucky, if you have hte money, and invest well and all of a sudden you're some genius. it's luck. but it's inbuilt in the system, isn't it? we have to value "sucess" but what is that sucess other than a few lucky rolls of the dice? but instead these folk are swollen up like super humans. i work at a top STEM uni and i would think a great deal of the teachers, proffs etc there (under paid, ordinary) would run absoloute rings around him, politically, scientifically etc. what a grift!

Don't think this has been posted yet:

This is the person who's technically supposed to be leading the charge to turn things around, especially with the creditors. Absolutely bonkers interview from last week with her making these weirdly snide comments at the audience throughout, treating her interviewer like a hostile lawyer and not knowing her brief. She'd been blindsided by a previous interview in which Twitter's former head of trust Yoel Roth went after the company (also worth watching, he's pretty blunt) but just amazingly unprofessional from a supposed hotshot CEO whose main role is supposed to be y'know, calming panic about Twitter's stability.

Reminds me of people selling their MLM opportunity. I don't watch much corporate business interviews so they could all be like this.

have to confess, i thought he was some hyper talented engineer, some STEM king. so when he was on rogan etc, i thought here was an interview with someone exceptionally talented and clever (although i don't place huge amounts of value on STEM stuff - i get fan boy like with the humanities: philosophers, artists, etc), but he was still interesting in that regard.

But what a sham, right? A grift! Just a rich kid with the power to invest and buy and hire.

Actually thinking about it, it's incredibly deceptive if he is not stating the fact. He should have gone on Rogan etc and at some point said "look joe, i am just a money man, this stuff is not my expertise".

The man is a narcissist, so he encourages this kind of misperception. Just like he encourages the perception of him as a libertarian to his fanboys while cosying up to authoritarian states who sing his praises. It is also why he tries to get praise for environmentalism by promoting electric cars. Everything he does makes a lot of sense when you see him as a narcissist in constant need for attention and praise.

Which makes the neuralink thing and his interest in mind control and social media pretty scary IMO but luckily he is too much of an imbecile to fulfill his fantasies of brainwashing everyone to love him through an "everything app" hooked up to their brain.

The man is a narcissist, so he encourages this kind of misperception. Just like he encourages the perception of him as a libertarian to his fanboys while cosying up to authoritarian states who sing his praises. It is also why he tries to get praise for environmentalism by promoting electric cars. Everything he does makes a lot of sense when you see him as a narcissist in constant need for attention and praise.

Which makes the neuralink thing and his interest in mind control and social media pretty scary IMO but luckily he is too much of an imbecile to fulfill his fantasies of brainwashing everyone to love him through an "everything app" hooked up to their brain.
yeah, the picture of him deepens and paradoxically makes him more shallow. The "forever online" nature of the man is another thing too - shows that "feed" you are talking about, his head and subjectivity is probably entirely dominated by his online presence. Anyone with anything about them these days is not constantly trying to "win" on the internet.

good job he hasn't got so much power, lol

I still think he is a somewhat victim of the mediums he finds himself in. i sometimes for a laugh do thought experiments where TS Elliot, or Schopenheur, or Philip Larkin is online all day, tweeting, posting pictures, "debating", and it just depresses me to think of these "greats" in that context, it somehow sucks something out of them, gets rid of the mystery and the magic. I think musk is so online all the time that there is not much of the human left, his boundaries have been evaporated so the quiet innner life of musk is barely there at all. It's like he is part of the machines raw material, part of it's actual structure.

emeralds I think. Which makes him like a malevolent saffa Dr Robotnik

there's a certain strand of conversative thinking that I have some sympathy for (but does not in any way affect other parts of how i see the world) - quietism, restraint, self control, non-grasping. a "no i can't" attitude instead of "yes i can do everything". social media itself is the antithesis of this: share everything, if you have a great thought, share it! get involved, reveal yourself, debate! the medium itself is addictive, it wants you to "act" all the time, comment, retweet, share your innner life, cause explosions, go viral!. And I see musk as an absoloute exempler of what they want out of a user. sad really. he could "be in the world" so differently, and it's fascinating to see him just be the world's largest Edgelord whilst his engineers and real scientists prop him up.

sounds a bi like stoicism
yes, i guess. i think most people realise at some point the "no i can't" instead of "yes I can" is a fundemental part of life and holds as much if not more value. giving up, letting go, what ever. think the absoloute opposite message of andrew tate or any of these motivational speakers. life itself is inherently restricted and maybe a lot of the misery comes from thinking it's not - that its this infinite pool of possibilities, and because it's really not we feel like failures for not somehow discovering these possibilities? it's old fashioned, but that line of thinking has survived millenia and is the direct antithesis of neoliberalism. it's no excuse for not wanting to improve the material conditions of everyone everywhere, but it's an existential truth i feel. life the great teacher etc. try putting a "positive outcome" twist on somethign like divorce. you can't, realising that you get some peace.

yes, i guess. i think most people realise at some point the "no i can't" instead of "yes I can" is a fundemental part of life and holds as much if not more value. giving up, letting go, what ever. think the absoloute opposite message of andrew tate or any of these motivational speakers. life itself is inherently restricted and maybe a lot of the misery comes from thinking it's not - that its this infinite pool of possibilities, and because it's really not we feel like failures for not somehow discovering these possibilities? it's old fashioned, but that line of thinking has survived millenia and is the direct antithesis of neoliberalism. it's no excuse for not wanting to improve the material conditions of everyone everywhere, but it's an existential truth i feel. life the great teacher etc. try putting a "positive outcome" twist on somethign like divorce. you can't, realising that you get some peace.
I think there's something about the nature of consumer capitalism which inherently undermines that sort of conservativism, and it's been turbocharged by social media and the instant dopamine hit and ego massage.

I think there's something about the nature of consumer capitalism which inherently undermines that sort of conservativism, and it's been turbocharged by social media and the instant dopamine hit and ego massage.
100%. tyranny of "becoming" all the time. that is mediated objectively, it's what we have learnt, what is shown to us in others lives. the subject is harrased constantly by this, a nagging sense of "what's next". never actually finding satisfaction in where they are actually at. a lot of the contemplative traditions, etc had this at their heart. where am i being pulled? they go a lot deeper than this (waht is the self that is being pulled, who or what is doing the pulling etc) but this is meat and bones within the contemplative traditions. it has a lot that is valuable to say about society today, but so does marxism, etc.

Now that sounds a lot like Kierkegaard.

Apparently there are some posters on Urban who consider, or perhaps used to consider, dwyer himself to be smart, so there's really no accounting for what some people think.

Maybe your point about a talent for self promotion is relevant here too...

The past few pages have shown how smart the folks of urban are. I've been really impressed how well they've dealt with an obvious wind-up. It's genius central here - Elon Musk wouldn't have a chance in this pool of wisdom and insight.

Yep see them everywhere these days.
Those ugly trucks with the metallic paint that look like they were built by Cylons and that Musk broke the window of in a demonstration?
I have not had the privilege of seeing one. Maybe they’re too fancy for Leeds.

I'd forgotten that moment of hilarity. Such a sad prick.

A priceless moment. Couldn’t have written it better. Proper partridge esque

maybe I'll see one soon cos they've just dug the road and pavement up in front of my house and started installing the necessaries for a charging point. I can't pretend I'm pleased about this. I know EV is neccesary but god damn, why was I not informed sooner.

Back
Top Bottom