Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Elon Musk the greatest visionary or the greatest snake oil salesman of our age?

ivLk8dD.png

twitter link

3Vd45ue.png

Twitter link

Earlier today I posted a Tweet calling Musk a "shit".

Usually posts with "profanity" (fucking Americanism) cause a pop-up message suggesting you might want to change the wording. However, no pop-up appeared.

I wonder that that means...

They've given up already. Blue ticks being restored all over.

:thumbs:

Some speculation that there's an american law about

"false representations regarding the origin, endorsement or association of goods or services through the wrongful use of another's distinctive mark, name, trade dress, or other device ("false endorsement" or "false association"),"

and making it look like someone has paid for a blue tick could possibly be breach of this...

meanwhile, britain first has also been given a blue tick (independent article here)

AixNmmo.png

twitter link That wanker Ben Kew.

As the farcical handing out of blue ticks to people whose twitter accounts have more than a million followers – some of them dead – continues to play out, Britain First loudly celebrated on Telegram that it had been "verified with the gold checkmark".

bprFYAV.jpg

Independent hack Lizzie Dearden wrote this up as:

Some users such as Britain First will have a gold tick to indicate that “it’s an official organisation on Twitter”, though some media outlets have had this removed from its account.
BBC News, CNN, NBC News and Fox News are among the affected outlets that no longer have a gold checkmark.

and tweeted

9qTus2G.png

The only reason Britain First has a gold tick is because they are paying the subscription for it.

What is Twitter Verified Organizations?​

Twitter Verified Organizations is a new service we’re testing for corporate entities on Twitter. Subscribers to this service receive a gold checkmark which designates the account as belonging to an official business on Twitter.

What does the affiliation badge mean?​

Through Twitter Verified Organizations, businesses can affiliate other accounts with their account. Affiliated accounts receive a label with the image from the business's profile picture.
We are currently piloting this with a number of select businesses on Twitter.

The price list for this service vanished from twitters 'help' pages overnight but not before it was screencapped.
Bh1QhAa.jpg

According to this list the UK subscription costs £1140.00 a month and any affiliates who are 'given' (sic) blue ticks will be paying £60.00 a month for them.

I'd imagine the only 'verification' taking place is to see that the money has actually arrived.

They've given up already. Blue ticks being restored all over.

:thumbs:
Someone pointed out the other day that the blue ticks were in fact primarily for the benefit of Twitter. Famous people really don't like being impersonated, having the reputations put at risk etc, so the blue ticks were to reassure famous people and keep them on the site, and to assure users that they were following who they thought they were following, thus making the site actually usable. The blue ticks were vital to Twitter's bottom line. I think Musk has just, belatedly, realised this. Says a lot that he doesn't have people around him who could have pointed it out earlier.

we might be getting into no such thing as bad pr territory now. someone might have at least realised that people forget about twitter unless it's in the news. see when Musk was jibbering on about twitter engagement being higher than ever when all the takeover noise was happening. not sure how long-term this madcap 'strategy' can be though.

I saw on mastodon that they've had another uptick in activity, I'm guessing as a result of this nonsense, so I think there is such a thing as bad publicity. It seems particularly unwise to piss of official govt accounts and so on. They're not going to enjoy being at the whim of a billionaire any more than us, and if they feel there's reputational hazard will start moving off the platform -particularly if they see an alternative.

I saw on mastodon that they've had another uptick in activity, I'm guessing as a result of this nonsense, so I think there is such a thing as bad publicity. It seems particularly unwise to piss of official govt accounts and so on. They're not going to enjoy being at the whim of a billionaire any more than us, and if they feel there's reputational hazard will start moving off the platform -particularly if they see an alternative.
true, completely agree on official accounts/advertisers/brands/celebs - pissing off the people who make your platform valuable seemed like a monumentally stupid thing to do.
I can't help thinking some of this nonsense around ticks, and the general ongoing confusion, is deliberate but I may be giving them too much credit.

Someone pointed out the other day that the blue ticks were in fact primarily for the benefit of Twitter. Famous people really don't like being impersonated, having the reputations put at risk etc, so the blue ticks were to reassure famous people and keep them on the site, and to assure users that they were following who they thought they were following, thus making the site actually usable. The blue ticks were vital to Twitter's bottom line. I think Musk has just, belatedly, realised this. Says a lot that he doesn't have people around him who could have pointed it out earlier.
I mean, he's had a lot of people telling him that for quite some time. Like, half of Twitter.

Some maybe more politely than others... :hmm:

Yeah but that might have been bots ...if only twitter had had a way of telling who was whom
Any name-and-random-number account which posts is a bot.

Any name-and-random-number account which stands still is a well-disciplined bot.

Back
Top Bottom