Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ireland Election 2020

I know the count takes ages, because of the STV system, but when are the results due?

Who knew it would be this much fun? Free State establishment totally fucked up by assuming what was lapped up by the sheep inside their bubble would fly with the general public - who have given them a well-deserved and resounding 'fuck off'.

I've never seen my wife spend hours watching post-election stuff before, but she has been glued to it all morning, laughing her head off as tory after tory squirms and wriggles.

Finally! Rose Conway Walsh looks like she is in like Flynn (But not like Pee Flynn). Up Ballcroy! Up Erris! Up the Republic!

Last edited:
Mary McDonald was on Sky News saying SF are in talks with smaller parties, to see if they can form a government without including FF & FG.

Then went on to say, if that wasn't possible, it would be unacceptable for FF & FG to exclude SF from government.

Mary McDonald was on Sky News saying SF are in talks with smaller parties, to see if they can form a government without including FF & FG.

Then went on to say, if that wasn't possible, it would be unacceptable for FF & FG to exclude SF from government.

It's Mary Lou, not Mary :)
Be interesting to see if SF gets one of the big parties to grovel. But I can imagine many FG/FF supporters recoiling in horror at the thought of SF governing the Republic.

It's Mary Lou, not Mary :)
Be interesting to see if SF gets one of the big parties to grovel. But I can imagine many FG/FF supporters recoiling in horror at the thought of SF governing the Republic.
FF would swallow it, FG never.

Any SF-led coalition assembling the other left/"left" parties and independents will be highly unstable, under relentless media attack from day one, and facing a difficult economic situation. . .

Gino Kenny and his keffiyeh set to spend more time banging on non stop about Israel.

gino kenny.jpg

Ruth Coppinger gone as well. Labour topped the poll in Meath East in 2011, lost the seat in 2016 and got 2% this time.

Last edited:
FF would swallow it, FG never.

Any SF-led coalition assembling the other left/"left" parties and independents will be highly unstable, under relentless media attack from day one, and facing a difficult economic situation. . .

Could be SF/FF in that case. MM is making overtures to the party, so we'll see.

FG are irrelevant now, the centre right has had it's day and it looks like housing, hospitals, rent are the main concern. But yes, the establishment media will be primed for attack mode from the get go.

Just browsing FB reaction and there's some real bizarre commentary. SF support is right across the spectrum, from left wing concerns to swivel eyed loons. Pro-lifers banging on about the antifa mafia, FG Marxists and Trump to more sensible heads welcoming this change. "Seismic" doesn't cover it!

My head is swimming. Good times.

With all the usual caveats regarding the reductive, cross-axis Political Compass format as a given...for the benefit of non-Irish posters...does this pattern make any sense or are there some glaring errors? Be interested to hear what those with better knowledge of Irish politics than me make of it.

1581332317564.png

FF/FG seem about right. I'm not sure if it's entirely fair to Labour, even though there sell-outs. The greens are a weird mixum-gatherum of ideologies - I've heard them described as containing everything from neo-liberals to quasi-anarchists. Their record in government should see them placed closer to the lower levels of the authoritarian right.

Solidarity, as descendants of Vladimir Ilyich, shouldn't really be on the libertarian left. Or am I being unfair?

Could be SF/FF in that case. MM is making overtures to the party, so we'll see.

FG are irrelevant now, the centre right has had it's day and it looks like housing, hospitals, rent are the main concern. But yes, the establishment media will be primed for attack mode from the get go.

Just browsing FB reaction and there's some real bizarre commentary. SF support is right across the spectrum, from left wing concerns to swivel eyed loons. Pro-lifers banging on about the antifa mafia, FG Marxists and Trump to more sensible heads welcoming this change. "Seismic" doesn't cover it!

My head is swimming. Good times.
Given that the Shinners have done well it would be very stupid for them to enter a coalition with FF. Their best strategy is to force FFG into some sort of grand coalition, which would be another nail in the coffin.

Given that the Shinners have done well it would be very stupid for them to enter a coalition with FF. Their best strategy is to force FFG into some sort of grand coalition, which would be another nail in the coffin.

Sort of like playing the long game? Sure, it could work for them. But you remember being young, we were always impatient (regardless of which politics were first and foremost in our heads, then)...

With all the usual caveats regarding the reductive, cross-axis Political Compass format as a given...for the benefit of non-Irish posters...does this pattern make any sense or are there some glaring errors? Be interested to hear what those with better knowledge of Irish politics than me make of it.

View attachment 198146
Never found thid 'authoritarian/libertarian' lens helpful in any way tbh

FF/FG seem about right. I'm not sure if it's entirely fair to Labour, even though there sell-outs. The greens are a weird mixum-gatherum of ideologies - I've heard them described as containing everything from neo-liberals to quasi-anarchists. Their record in government should see them placed closer to the lower levels of the authoritarian right.

Solidarity, as descendants of Vladimir Ilyich, shouldn't really be on the libertarian left. Or am I being unfair?
I thought it quite generous to Labour. Given the role they had in implementing austerity and trying to get kids locked up for protesting. In terms of the greens I'd have them over two or three spots to the right, after all Eamonn Ryan (has some shares in oil companies?) The Social Democrats are about right. As for Solidarity I'd have thought them further to the left.

Sort of like playing the long game? Sure, it could work for them. But you remember being young, we were always impatient (regardless of which politics were first and foremost in our heads, then)...
I think they have to. There will be guff about duty to form a government with someone, but it's suicide to give a life line to FF now. If SF want to destroy the gains they made, it would be jumping in with FF and selling themselves as a Greener FF.

Labour never learnt the lesson in 1992 or in 2011, look at them now. Still hated. The Shinners at least are smarter than Labour, at least one would hope. Anyway it would cause rancour in their ranks, some commentators are saying this results owes as much to EO'B as MLMcD.

Last edited:
I think they have to. There will be guff about duty for form a government with someone, but it's suicide to give a life line to FF now. If SF want to destroy the gains they made, it would be jumping in with FF and selling themselves as a Greener FF.

Labour never learnt the lesson in 1992 or in 2011, look at them now. Still hated. The Shinners at least are smarter than Labour, at least one would hope. Anyway it would cause rancour in their ranks, some commentators are saying this results owes as much to EO'B as MLMcD.

Eoin has always been able to communicate in an articulate and passionate fashion. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as a future leader for the party. He really went the extra mile in the run up to the election.

Eoin has always been able to communicate in an articulate and passionate fashion. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as a future leader for the party. He really went the extra mile in the run up to the election.
There in lies the tension within SF, yes it's a nationalist party both he and MLMcD agree on that, on the nature of that nationalism there are some disagreements, with EO'B further to the left than McD. After all as has been shown up thread housing and health are the big issues, EO'B has much better ideas than MLMcD who after all started her career in FF.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom