Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

If you have it, have had it, are pretty sure you have it, tell us about it?

Have you got the virus, had it, or recovered from it?

• I have the virus at the moment, pls post symptoms in thread ..

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • I had a mild case of the virus and have now recovered ..

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • I had a serious case of the virus and have now recovered ..

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Someone I know has a serious case, and has not yet recovered ..

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Someone I know died from the virus

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I was tested, it was positive for the virus

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • I was tested, it was negative for the virus

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • I am still healthy, with no evidence of infection

Votes: 79 52.0%
  • I was contacted as part of contact tracing, pls post details

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am self isolating at the moment by my own choice

Votes: 19 12.5%
  • I have been told to self isolate ..

Votes: 15 9.9%

• Total voters
Edie so glad you've turned a corner.
zahir that's really interesting to know

I'm definitely feeling better but still really tired. Went for a walk in the park yesterday and while it was nice being out me and mr oula were totally wiped out afterwards. I think it's partly having been basically immobile for so long (I had an infection which meant I could barely walk for two weeks before getting covid so I've barely been out the house or moving around for nearly a month now).
I'm still coughing but not too badly. Oxygen has always been around 97 or 98. Peak flow should be 450 and is between 350 and 400.

I'm a bit concerned about how long it will take to recover from the double illness whammy, especially as the kids will now be at home so I can't get a rest then.

Doodler how you diddling?

I am definitely in recovery now, my last fever was 3am yesterday in CDU at 38.5oC and none since. I’m home. Chest very wheezy and tight, and I’m weak but capable. Feel tired but not that desperate fatigue. Am on the mend! Thank you God 🙏🏻

Anyone else feel quite shocked afterwards. I feel like I’ve survived a small hurricane or natural disaster or something :D

Very glad to hear it, was worried about you x

Edie so glad you've turned a corner.
zahir that's really interesting to know

I'm definitely feeling better but still really tired. Went for a walk in the park yesterday and while it was nice being out me and mr oula were totally wiped out afterwards. I think it's partly having been basically immobile for so long (I had an infection which meant I could barely walk for two weeks before getting covid so I've barely been out the house or moving around for nearly a month now).
I'm still coughing but not too badly. Oxygen has always been around 97 or 98. Peak flow should be 450 and is between 350 and 400.

I'm a bit concerned about how long it will take to recover from the double illness whammy, especially as the kids will now be at home so I can't get a rest then.

It's been really tough for you Oula, you're going to have to take your time even though you're feeling better. Good to hear that you got out for a walk.

I hope you are doing OK! And fingers crossed you are over the worst of it

(Haven't had Covid yet thank fuck but had really nasty swine flu a few years back and I really thought I was going to die, had pneumonia with it and was coughing up blood, I completely understand that feeling of not being able to catch a breath - it is absolutely terrifying and takes up a lot of energy just to keep breathing. I hope you are on the mend now).

Last edited:
Yes, I recognise the feeling. Just as a warning I had recurrent bouts at what turned out to be fairly regular intervals of 10 days to 2 weeks. This was scary at first but overall there was a gradual improvement. Six months on I'm still getting occasional effects but most of the time I'm not noticing it. You may be lucky but don't expect things to be back to normal after 10 days or so.
Yes this is sage advice
Nice guidelines on long covid say that primary care should follow up with anyone with symptoms 4 weeks after acute infection and that anyone who was hospitalised should have a follow up within 6 weeks

I am very sorry to hear that anyone is ill with longer term symptoms

I think stuff like post-viral longer term effects of being unwell are finally being acknowledged now - it is really shitty for anyone going through it, I do hope though that it will lead to a better understanding of post-viral fatigue and similar long-term effects - not just for COVID but for a whole range of viral infections and how the aftermath can affect you. (Missed months of school due to glandular fever and the ongoing after-effects and debilitating fatigue - the sort of thing that used to be called "yuppy flu" and still isn't taken as seriously as it ought to be - I think it still affects me now sometimes, it has probably had a lifelong impact on my health).

Last edited:
Ever so pleased to hear your good news! What a relief for you to be back home and on the mend. In a way you have survived a natural disaster.

I feel a little bit more energetic than yesterday. My chest no longer hurts, am now making occasional phlegmy coughs. SPO2 is 96-98%, peak flow varies between normal and down by 5%. Temperature 37C this morning. Still watchful but thoughts now also turning to humdrum things like going back to work etc.

Can't imagine being able to tackle the more manual/lifting side of things for weeks though.
So glad you’re seeing small improvements. I can’t yet imagine going outside, or even changing my bed to be honest. Small steps.
Yes, I recognise the feeling. Just as a warning I had recurrent bouts at what turned out to be fairly regular intervals of 10 days to 2 weeks. This was scary at first but overall there was a gradual improvement. Six months on I'm still getting occasional effects but most of the time I'm not noticing it. You may be lucky but don't expect things to be back to normal after 10 days or so.
This is alarming. What do you mean, regular bouts? Of fever and breathlessness? 😭

This is alarming. What do you mean, regular bouts? Of fever and breathlessness? 😭

Breathlessness mainly. I wasn't checking my temperature but I don't think I had much of a fever after the first round, and the subsequent rounds were nothing like as bad as the first.
I wasn't meaning to sound alarming, more saying not to be surprised if you get symptoms coming back and if you do they're probably nothing to panic about. And to take it easy for a while.

I have been crying and having some episodes where I almost feel confused or at least that I can’t think, on and off all day. I think this may be normal recovery from serious illness. Very hard this isolated.

edit: sounds ridiculous but I just need looking after by a caring adult. That’s how I feel. Bills done his best mind you, he really has.

Last edited:
I have been crying and having some episodes where I almost feel confused or at least that I can’t think, on and off all day. I think this may be normal recovery from serious illness. Very hard this isolated.
I think that kind of reaction is very normal after a sudden serious illness. It's shock, and your body trying to process the trauma.

edit: sounds ridiculous but I just need looking after by a caring adult. That’s how I feel. Bills done his best mind you, he really has.

That really does not sound ridiculous at all. You shoulder so much adult responsibility so much of the time, way more than your fair share. And even if you weren't, you would be fully entitled to feel the need to be a bit looked after, going through this severe and frightening illness.
Useless as it is, sending you some virtual hand-holding and pillow-fluffing. x

ETA: I imagine it's probably someone being actually around and present in the house what you would need, but is there any mileage in getting connected with the local volunteers network who will be able to do errands for you and/or phone check ins or maybe dropping off some cooked meals?

It’s really not ridiculous. Feeling unwell makes me really emotional and I’m sure there’s an element of shock too. You’ve had a traumatic experience.
Needing to be cared for is absolutely natural.
When I had sepsis and surgery I had never needed Mr Looby so much.
I wish there was someone who could come and look after you.

Cognitive issues are part of it. They lasted a few days for me.
I tried to do a photobox photo album for my sons 18th birthday but I had to stop, I literally couldn’t work it out, then I got upset. I also couldn’t talk to my brother on the phone, I was having word finding difficulties. Again, upsetting.

I feel like a week from my life has been wiped. I think this is all normal but it’s been a horrid-edged day. I think I’ve done too much, although I’ve only edited some photos and taken a Christmas tree down. Having a bath now then bed. Tomorrow is another day.

That really does not sound ridiculous at all. You shoulder so much adult responsibility so much of the time, way more than your fair share. And even if you weren't, you would be fully entitled to feel the need to be a bit looked after, going through this severe and frightening illness.
Useless as it is, sending you some virtual hand-holding and pillow-fluffing. x

ETA: I imagine it's probably someone being actually around and present in the house what you would need, but is there any mileage in getting connected with the local volunteers network who will be able to do errands for you and/or phone check ins or maybe dropping off some cooked meals?
Thanks zora youve been really kind. How is the anxiety right now? This horrid fucking virus. Hang in there the end is in sight xx

Thanks zora youve been really kind. How is the anxiety right now? This horrid fucking virus. Hang in there the end is in sight xx

Thank you! :) I am much better today. Reached out on the "pandemic psychological support" thread and got lots of good support.
I honestly don't know what I would do with myself if it wasn't for this community, but thankfully we have got it!

Last edited:
God, Eids - I think you've been through a massively traumatic experience, one where you were literally having to be completely consumed by just drawing breath - so fucking frightening - that it has to be inevitable that your brain is now catching up with that huge assault on your body.

My work mate's son was recently very ill with it/hospitalised, too and an after effect was that he felt extremely vulnerable - literally the word he used.
He had his wife to look after him and make judgement calls around when to call for help, too, whereas you have had to do that alone and while I know you will have been worrying about Billy and George, too.

You just go really gently with yourself, rush nothing and allow yourself the time and space to recover in all senses of the word.
Big loves to all three of you xxx

Oh Edie, that's normal and what you should have and it's terrible that you can't have it right now. I know feeling vulnerable in this way is really frightening, and you're worried about your boys, but maybe you can be in touch with the caring adult in yourself instead of pushing yourself to recover quicker than is possible x

Cognitive issues are part of it. They lasted a few days for me.
That's interesting. What type of issues? I just had an infection that I needed to take strong antibiotics for right before having covid and that gave me cognitive issues so I can't tell if things are still from that or related to the covid.
think I’ve done too much, although I’ve only edited some photos and taken a Christmas tree down.
That's more than I've done today and I'm still exhausted and you've had it worse than me.

I’ve only edited some photos and taken a Christmas tree down. Having a bath now then bed. Tomorrow is another day.
If hospitals were not so overrun at the moment you'd probably have been kept in a lot longer until they knew you were much stronger
taking down the tree and doing screen editing both take a lot of concentration and strength which will have been really affected by your illness
word finding and cognitive issues with thinking and concentration are really, really common with covid
don't fall for the 10 day/2 week messaging and think you should be better - give yourself time to rest [within the context of having two boys to care for]

If hospitals were not so overrun at the moment you'd probably have been kept in a lot longer until they knew you were much stronger
taking down the tree and doing screen editing both take a lot of concentration and strength which will have been really affected by your illness
word finding and cognitive issues with thinking and concentration are really, really common with covid
don't fall for the 10 day/2 week messaging and think you should be better - give yourself time to rest [within the context of having two boys to care for]
Thank you to you and Red Cat and everyone else’s wisdom xx

That's interesting. What type of issues?

It's quite hard to describe, and hard to look back at. It felt like I'd had a kind of personality change. It wasn't about feeling down or upset at all - at that point I was feeling happy enough that the breathing difficulties had subsided and I wasn't about to end up in hospital. I felt like I was talking perfectly coherently on the phone but I was told later that what I was saying didn't all make sense. Posting about it on here felt like it was partly about trying to keep a grip on reality. Going through it on my own probably didn't help.

Last edited:
Yeah, from people I've known even if you have it pretty mildly you will feel pretty rotten for weeks afterwards. To those who have it now I would say don't think about getting back to normal as soon as possible, instead prepare yourself to REST, as far as your life allows. Max out your sick leave rather than go back to work early. It's the best thing to do for yourself, and some think that resting in the early stages of recovery may reduce the chances of long covid - though that is speculative rather than solid evidence-based.

Back
Top Bottom