Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hundreds of workers protest against Italians/Foreigners 'taking jobs'...

Some digging and I found this...My Italian isn't good enough to do an accurate enough translation.
Roma, 2 febbraio – “Nel Lincolnshire si sta consumando una delle più brutte pagine della storia del movimento sindacale in tempi di globalizzazione: lavoratori inglesi contro lavoratori italiani”. Sono i responsabili dell’ Ufficio Europa Fiom Cgil, Sabina Petrucci, e del Segretariato Europa Cgil, Nicola Nicolosi, a commentare così gli scioperi dei lavoratori inglesi contro il contratto a termine dato all’azienda siciliana Irem per la costruzione di un impianto in una raffineria nel nord dell’Inghilterra.

“La crisi economica di questi tempi - sostengono i due sindacalisti -, causata da un capitalismo votato alla speculazione finanziaria, senza regole, e centrata sulla ricchezza dei debiti, sta producendo uno dei malesseri sociali più gravi: poveri contro poveri, lavoratori contro lavoratori”. Intano, mentre la crisi economica ha come effetto la perdita di migliaia di posti di lavoro, per Nicolosi e Petrucci “le soluzioni prospettate a Davos sono esattamente identiche a quelle che la crisi l’hanno provocata. Anche in Europa, la disoccupazione aumenta e la paura diventa fenomeno sociale. Casi di intolleranza razziale si consumano anche in Italia; fatti odiosi, inaccettabili, da condannare e combattere con tutte le energie”.

Ma dai due dirigenti sindacali arriva l’invito a cogliere il malessere che la vicenda della Lindsey Oil sottende: “Abbiamo il dovere - dicono - di capire il malessere dei lavoratori e lavoratrici. In Europa si moltiplicano fatti e conseguenti sentenze che intervengono in materia di mercato del lavoro, di diritto alla mobilità di cose e di persone aprendo la strada al dumping sociale”. A riguardo citano le recenti sentenze ‘Viking Line’ e ‘Laval’ della Corte di europea “sulla preminenza del diritto d’impresa rispetto al diritto sindacale sancito da norme e contratti nazionali, hanno destato giusta preoccupazione nel sindacato, tra i giuristi, tra i lavoratori. In questi casi il dumping salariale diventa un’opportunità, per le aziende, ad abbassare il costo del lavoro, determinando concorrenza sleale”.

Nel caso della raffineria Lindsay, nella contea di Lincoln, aggiungono Nicolosi e Petrucci, “la protesta sta assumendo connotati che la destra politica e nazionalista, sta piegando contro lo “straniero”. I lavoratori inglesi rivendicano che quel lavoro appaltato doveva utilizzare forza lavoro locale già penalizzata per la perdita di cinquecento posti di lavoro nel solo mese di dicembre. Se è vero che il contratto prevede una clausola di esclusione al lavoro dei locali, la riteniamo sbagliata e fonte di discriminazione. L’impresa in questo genere di questioni ha delle responsabilità enormi. Vogliamo peraltro ricordare che è un’impresa dove non è presente il sindacato. Ciò la dice lunga sul tipo di relazioni industriali”.

Ma, allo stesso tempo, “gli effetti della crisi della globalizzazione non debbono allentare il legame di solidarietà internazionale dei lavoratori, condannando tutti quei fatti che possono condurre a forme xenofobe e razziste”, sostengono i due dirigenti sindacali e, pertanto, ritengono che: “le norme europee non debbano prevedere meccanismi di dumping sociale e salariale, così come è successo nei casi Viking e Laval; che la direttiva ‘Distacco’ debba essere modificata in quelle parti che, abusate, possono creare contrasti tra lavoratori provenienti dai diversi Paesi”. E, inoltre, “che si sviluppi la campagna della CES “Parità di lavoro, parità salariale” che ha il significato di non accettare condizioni di lavoro e di remunerazione difforme nello stesso paese e per lo stesso lavoro. Per sviluppare lo spirito dell’Europa Sociale abbiamo bisogno di solidarietà, valore a cui legare aspirazioni e prospettive di benessere diffuso”. Infine, concludono Nicolosi e Petrucci, “la crisi economica e finanziaria non si combatte dentro i confini nazionali anche se a quei lavoratori inglesi vanno date risposte anche nei confini nazionali; va sviluppata un’iniziativa sindacale europea e globale a sostegno dei senza lavoro e per politiche sociali ed industriali nuove e di prospettiva”.

I hope this means the CGIL are on the case....

No, i think that previous link was about taxation of immigrants, not union membership.

As I said - UK Unions must contact Italian Unions asap. Could end being a bunch of nationalist chauvinist protectionism if not careful and that won't benefit anyone.

Some digging and I found this...My Italian isn't good enough to do an accurate enough translation.

I hope this means the CGIL are on the case....
My fear is the strikers are going to end up alienating the Italian Unions.
my bad translation said:
In Lincolnshire, one of the ugliest pages in the history of the trade-union movement in these times of globalisation is occurring: "English workers against Italian wokers".
<snip - quick switch to auto-translator>
“The crisis economic of these times - the two sindacalisti [i.e. Nicolosi and Petrucci] support -, caused from a Capitalism voted to the speculation financial institution, without rules, and centered on the wealth of the debits, is producing one of more serious the social malaises: poor against poor, working against workers”. Intano, while the economic crisis has like effect the loss of thousands of workplaces, for Nicolosi and Petrucci “the solutions shown to Davos are exactly identical to those which they have provoked it to the crisis. Also in Europe, unemployment increases and the fear becomes social phenomenon. Cases of racial intolerance are consumed also in Italy; hateful, unacceptable facts, to condemn and to fight with all the energies”.
:(

Yeah. My quick reading was not positive. The CGIL seem to saying the strikes are reactionary etc. But I may be missing a nuance or two.

...so that wouldn't leave much room for a co-operation at Union level.

But then, these strikes seem to operating somewhat beyond the union anyway, so a rank and file initiative could still happen.

I'll keep looking around to see how its going down out here.

As it is said above in badly translated Italian - it's a social phenenemon caused by increasing unemployment across Europe. In Italy too, there have been similar expressions of intolerance for non-Italian workers.

If UK Union fails to make contact with Italian and Portuguese unions, this malaise among workers may spread and will certainly affect UK workers abroad.

Also, maybe time for unemployed in this country to make a separate "Unemployed Union" and work with the mainstream unions closely.

This is one of the few occurances where there are unemployed people, joining the picket line, directly, on television, asking for work!

In the 1930s, didn't a National Unemployed Workers' Movement form?

Isn't NOW a good time to form something like that again?

What the strikers want. Preferential treatment for British workers

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7867207.stm

And that's "anti Italian" is it?

The facts are this:

A workforce is given 90 day notices. A sub-sub contractor then says none of those workers will even be considered for the work, they'll bring in their own workforce.

And what? The workforce are to keep schtum about being pissed off in case it come across as a bit xenophobic?

In the 1930s, didn't a National Unemployed Workers' Movement form?

Isn't NOW a good time to form something like that again?

I sincerely hope so, the shit the unemployed protesters are to get under Purnell's welfare reforms which see them as 'offenders' wearing orange bibs and picking up litter, no wonder they are fearful and anxious.The question remains will any of the left, even the SP, initiate such a vehicle, the record, re welfare cuts being ignored is not promising. Their new 'youth right to work campaign, sadly doesnt mention benefits,etc.

just about to post this on indymedia with an upload of fridges clip - any comments?

intro paragraph (nicked from fridgemagnet)

Quotes from News At Ten and Newsnight (half an hour later), Feb 2 2009. The striker's quote is edited in the News At Ten segment in a way that makes it seem he does not want to work alongside foreigners, in the context of a ministerial claim of xenophobia. In the fuller Newsnight report, it is clear that he is saying that he _cannot_ work alongside them, because they are segregated.

BBC News at 10

Reporter... "beneath the anger, ministers fear, lies straightforward xenophobia"

Striker... "These portugese and Iti's, we can't work alongside of them"

BBC Newsnight

Same Striker... "These portugese and Iti's, we can't work alongside of them, we're segregated, and coming in as full companies"

This selective quoting needs to be seen in the context of an apparent government campaign to smear the strike as being xenophobic with Peter Mandelson quoted as saying "We should keep our sights set firmly not on the politics of xenophobia but on the economics of this recession."

Help ensure this strike isn't dismissed as being about xenophobia when it's not...

Please Email complaints about this selective quoting to...

newsonline.complaints@bbc.co.uk

03700 100 222

When you call, it’s the normal “press 1 for…” and then you’re through.

I think it’s 3 for complaints.

Helen Boaden, Director of BBC news
Email: helenboaden.complaints@bbc.co.uk

Peter Horrocks, Head of BBC TV News
Email: peter.horrocks@bbc.co.uk

Richard Sambrook, Director of the World Service and Global News
Email: richard.sambrook@bbc.co.uk

or via the online complaints section of the website http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/complaints_stage1.shtml

spread the word and don't allow their divide and conquer tactics to work.

Fawley today.

Rumour has it that a Polish scaffolder has been dismissed for walking out on strike.I will confirm this tomorrow. About 100 scaffolders walked off this morning and formed a picket line including the Poles.

Workers on the civil contract have also joined the walkout yesterday and today .Rumour has it that the employer was going to discipline a shop steward. The employer relented and slapped wrists of all those who walked.

Interestingly no BNP to be seen......yet. I hear the SP are going down there tomorrow. Good luck to them.

I've worked with that ex shop steward years ago and he's a sound bloke and fought well for the lads I also remember the shit he had after being blacklisted for being a shop steward, he couldn't get a job on any large contract job after that.

Get him to join with other unemployed to form an Unemployed-persons Union movement then! Persuade the Unions' bureaucracies to donate a percentage of Union Dues to get it up and running.

danny la rouge said:
And that's "anti Italian" is it?
Also, if British Unions do not join up with other European Trades Unions and coordinate, then the bosses/media will continue to play off nationality against nationality.

If it's perceived abroad as being against Italian workers, then imagine how it would look over here if it were Italian workers protesting against British workers on a contract in Italy saying 'employ Italians before Brits'.

re Unemployed Workers Union

There were a number of intiatives going on in the mid 90s around the time of the JSA. They did not fare well. The fall out is well documented on the web.

David Peters was just on R4 speaking on behalf of the Foreign Lecturers of Italy.......basically he said they were treated like shit, paid less.....had court rulings but the Italian gov just ignored them + changed the law.

He advised people not to work out there.

re Unemployed Workers Union

There were a number of intiatives going on in the mid 90s around the time of the JSA. They did not fare well. The fall out is well documented on the web.

This report, from a man who in December 2008 facilitated a seminar on the future link between UWCs, the TUC and unions in Newcastle, says Unemployed Workers' Centres still exist, but only "50 centres in existence".
Unemployed Workers Centres have been in existence for some 30 years and back in the 80s and 90s were at the heart of TU campaigns against unemployment. They still continue this fight but also provide an impressive range of services to both the unemployed and working people and their families. However, their numbers have been in decline for some time and now there are only 50 centres in existence.

It wouldn’t be right to anticipate here the results of the seminar which was attended by representatives from UWCs from the North East, North West, Lancashire and Derbyshire but there was a really positive desire to reffirm and revitalise the kind of work and services that UWCs carry out and provide across the country.
http://www.strongerunions.org/2008/12/unemployed-workers-centres/
So good news is there is already a small infrastructure in place, but no actual separate Union.

Sadly the SP contibuted to that, objecting to the three strikes model oh, and many of the TUC centres have become Blairite training centres, apolitical, etc.

Sadly the SWP contibuted to that, objecting to the three strikes model

Not just the SWP.

The SP were also very unhelpful, to say the least.

Solidarity between the Unions and the jobless was scant.

The UWCs mentioned above could've been useful, but ime acted as a comfy charity outlet for TU lefties.

:(

Still all that might change.

Sorry, I meant the SP, the UWC's had many problems though:, a fair few were controlled by the New Communist Party, the Liverpool one was run very tightly by Kevin Coyne(sic?). Strangely, there is not much in the literature about such centres, though one academic book was highly critical of them

Sorry, I meant the SP, the UWC's had many problems though:, a fair few were controlled by the New Communist Party, the Liverpool one was run very tightly by Kevin Coyne(sic?). Strangely, there is not much in the literature about such centres, though one academic book was highly critical of them

Here's one account....

The Role of the Cardiff Unemployed Workers' Centre

Another point of confusion (but not outright conflict) was the nature of the relationship with the local TUC Unemployed Workers' Centre which was being established simultaneously by several people in WAJSA.

Whilst some WAJSA activists had reservations about the Centre, most of us raised no objections and, indeed, saw the Centre as a potentially good thing and even got involved. It was, however, agreed to keep the Centre and WAJSA strictly separate in a formal sense, despite the overlap in personnel. Unfortunately some people could not keep the two separate - using WAJSA to build the Centre. This caused a problem (as well as general confusion) when it was realised that some of the actions being proposed might jeopardise the centre's desired funding from the TUC and the local Labour council. It was suggested that people involved in the Centre "refrain" from anti JSA activity - when it became clear that people would, if pushed, drop the Centre rather than campaigning this matter was dropped.

Unfortunately the illusions that some involved in the Centre had in the Trade Union movement - to the virtual exclusion of everything else - meant that the dispute within WAJSA was reproduced at the Centre with the result that some of those who had walked out of WAJSA also quit the Centre.

Back
Top Bottom