Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

hundreds of apps have us govt trackers hidden in them

I don't know if it is true but it strikes me it probably is.

Governments have rarely permitted their populations a means of communication which they were not able to eavesdrop on.

And for those that might say but What'sApp is encryped, the contents may be but I bet they are keeping track of who is messaging whom!

Anonymised and aggregated data isn’t really a problem is it? This stuff generally gets used in stuff like transport modelling, where it can be very useful.

I'm normally open to conspiracies, but I am aware that I can sometimes be paranoid, what interest has the government got with my mobile phone?

If you want a conspiracy theory ...

howz about ...

Not only are these phones tracking you, they are also listening in to every word around them ...
(ie just adding two "theories" together !)

If they are tracking phones in the UK they wouldn't learn much from me - my phone has barely went outside for months.

Ditto...

editor, I know what you mean, I got one of those 'google maps timeline' e-mails the other day.

They logged my 'highlights' in July as:

1 - 'Cities' visited - Worthing (home), Lancing (< I had to pick something up, to deliver to>), Shoreham.

2 - Places visited - Tesco Extra, Tesco Express, and the Co-op. :(

It doesn't really matter if your life is so dull that they won't care. That's the equivalent of saying if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear. What if you do have something to hide in the future?

Snowden says in his book that there is no such thing as privacy anymore. Everything you do on the internet can be tracked by someone if they want. And the UK are complicit in this too. It's no conspiracy either. It's public record. If you want to be secure on the internet, you've not got many options. Tor helps but even that isn't 100% secure. The only real option is don't use the internet.

It doesn't really matter if your life is so dull that they won't care. That's the equivalent of saying if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear. What if you do have something to hide in the future?

Snowden says in his book that there is no such thing as privacy anymore. Everything you do on the internet can be tracked by someone if they want. And the UK are complicit in this too. It's no conspiracy either. It's public record. If you want to be secure on the internet, you've not got many options. Tor helps but even that isn't 100% secure. The only real option is don't use the internet.
Good point. I am a bit wary of Snowden, nice guy but used to work for CIA. In exile in Russia but dunno if something going on, could be wrong.
The internet was possibly made to eradicate privacy.
It was supposed to replace libraries, go in a library with a question, they will either lead you to a book or answer it in a fraction of the time it takes to wade through google sseach results which CEO now admits they are censored, but I digress, back to privacy.

Totally agree - there's no such thing as privacy online so you have to decide whether you accept that trade off.

My insurance company will give you a substantial discount on car insurance if you download their app to your phone. It monitors your driving and you get a discount based upon the information it gathers such as speed, where you are driving, miles driven, adherence to traffic laws, etc. For the moment this is optional. It'll be required at some point I'm sure.

<edited to add>
I just got notice at my university that I'm required to download an app for the Corona virus. You're supposed to check your temp and report every day using the app. Since I'm a distance student any way, I'm going to ignore it. I don't see any rational reason why someone who lives 200 miles away from campus needs to adhere to that requirement.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom