Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The rise of fascism in the US

More vile unpleasantness courtesy of Greg Abbot:

i was raised very catholic and keep an eye on the catholic press. cw: there's some pretty horrifying stuff in here. note that abbott is a "catholic".

Sorry if this was in the wrong place. This tiny little local newspaper was raided by the local police because someone filed a complaint about information the paper was given that could have led to a business losing their license to operate. The newspaper editor declined to publish it, but was raided by the police. The next day the editor, a 98-year-old lady, died from the shock.

I find this story incredibly fishy. It's difficult to get the rural police to do anything, let alone raid a business and home of a newspaper because of information it might have as part of an investigation into a story. Its sounds like one of those weird local fights that got out of hand. This probably means the end of the newspaper. Most of the surviving rural papers are labors of love by the editors. Many of them are elderly and operate almost as a non-profit for the community.

Last edited:
Sorry if this was in the wrong place. This tiny little local newspaper was raided by the local police because someone filed a complaint about information the paper was given that could have led to a business losing their license to operate. The newspaper editor declined to publish it, but was raided by the police. The next day the editor, a 98-year-old lady, died from the shock.

I find this story incredibly fishy. It's difficult to get the rural police to do anything, let alone raid a business and home of a newspaper because of information it might have as part of an investigation into a story. This probably means the end of the newspaper. Most of the surviving rural papers are labors of love by the editors. Many of them are elderly and operate almost as a non-profit for the community.

Unfortunately, the link included is from the right wing Daily Mail, a paper known for its support for British fascists in the 30s.

Unfortunately, the link included is from the right wing Daily Mail, a paper known for its support for British fascists in the 30s.

It's pretty much what other sources have said. If you want a different link, I'll be happy to provide one.

Here's a CNN link:

Law enforcement officers in Kansas raided the home and office of a newspaper owner, prompting a sharp rebuke from a press freedom group and raising constitutional questions far beyond the small city in the state.

The paper’s co-owner and publisher, Eric Meyer, believes Friday’s raid in Marion – about 60 miles north of Wichita – was prompted by a story published Wednesday about a local business owner, while authorities countered they are investigating what they called “identity theft” in a search warrant.

Computers, cell phones, and other materials were seized during the raid at the Marion County Record, Meyer confirmed to CNN.

At the time of the raid, Meyer said he was at the home of his 98-year-old mother, who died less than 24 hours later, he told CNN by phone Saturday evening. Police took Meyer’s phone, a computer router and an old laptop he hadn’t used in two weeks from the home, Meyer said.

Officials conducted the raid after Marion County Court Magistrate Judge Laura Viar signed a search warrant Friday morning, which alleges violations of identity theft and “unlawful acts concerning computers.”

The story behind the story

Earlier this month, Meyer said he was at Kari’s Kitchen, a coffee shop Newell operates, for a public meeting event with US Representative Jake LaTurner, a Republican who represents the area. While it was a public meet-and-greet event, Meyer said he and his reporter, Phyllis Zorn, were asked to leave.

“I was standing in line waiting to get a drink at the coffee shop where we were and the police chief came up to us and said you’ve been asked to leave by the coffee shop owner,” Meyer said. “She said we don’t want the media in here, so they threw us out.”

CNN has reached out to LaTurner’s office about the situation.

Meyer said Zorn then received a tip about Newell allegedly driving without a valid driver’s license after a traffic offense in 2008.

Newell confirmed to CNN that she had asked Meyer and his reporter to leave during the public meet-and-greet event with Rep. LaTurner because she believes the newspaper “has a long-standing reputation for twisting and contorting comments within our community.”

“When they came into the establishment, I quietly and politely asked them to exit,” Newell said. “I didn’t feel that their constituents needed to be exposed to any risk of being misquoted.”

Newell said the Marion County Record unlawfully used her credentials to get information that was only available to law enforcement, private investigators and insurance agencies. “Not only did they have information that was illegal for them to obtain in the manner in which they did, but they sent it out as well,” she added.

The Marion County Record published the article “strictly out of malice and retribution for me asking him to exit my establishment,” she says.

Newell was out of state when she learned of Friday’s raid, she says, and tells CNN she was “flabbergasted” and “didn’t know that was coming.”

Meyer said he drove down to the office where law enforcement officials seized a file server, a backup drive for a file server, Meyer’s computer and the computers of two other reporters.

“I’ve never seen anything like this, not in America,” Meyer said. “This was an atomic flyswatter. They wanted to swat us, and they tried to do so.”

“Our problem is, we don’t have any of our logs of advertising, the ads that were prepared, and things that were ordered,” Meyer said as he expressed his concerns for not being able to publish his weekly newspaper on time.

Two reporters – Zorn and Deb Gruver – whose computers were seized also had their phones taken away, according to Meyer.

“As far as I can see, the entirety of law enforcement in Marion County was involved in this,” Meyer said. He explained all four employees from the Marion Police Department, including the police chief, came.

The search warrant identified a list of items law enforcement officials were allowed to seize, including “documents and records pertaining to Kari Newell,” the business owner who was the subject of the story, Meyer said.

The warrant also specifically targeted ownership of computers and devices or internet service accounts used to “participate in the identify theft of Kari Newell,” he added.

TBH, I don't consider CNN much better than the Fail.

Last edited:
national news now.

After the newspaper published an article about the episode, Ms. Zorn received a private message on Facebook, Mr. Meyer said, from someone who shared a letter to Ms. Newell from the Kansas Department of Revenue. The letter detailed the steps she needed to take to restore her driver’s license, which had been suspended after a drunken driving citation in 2008, according to the newspaper.

(archive wouldn't let me clip more than that)

national news now.

After the newspaper published an article about the episode, Ms. Zorn received a private message on Facebook, Mr. Meyer said, from someone who shared a letter to Ms. Newell from the Kansas Department of Revenue. The letter detailed the steps she needed to take to restore her driver’s license, which had been suspended after a drunken driving citation in 2008, according to the newspaper.

The real reasons for the raid are starting to come out. It turns out that their police chief was the subject of an investigation at his previous job with the Kansas City PD for sexual abuse. There are also some accusations floating around that he's abused his power in this way as police chief. The newspaper was investigating this but hasn't published yet. I can't imagine what this means for the town of 1900 people. Any lawsuit would bankrupt it.

Wasn't certain where to put this story. A teacher in Texas has been fired for reading The Diary of Anne Frank to her 8th grade class. In the US, 8th grade students are generally 14-15, about the same age as Anne Frank when she wrote it.

An unidentified Texas teacher has been fired after she read aloud an excerpt from the illustrated version of Anne Frank’s The Diary of a Young Girl to her eighth-grade reading class, according to local news outlet KFDM-6.

On Thursday, Mike Canizales, the communications director and community engagement coordinator for the Hamshire-Fannett Independent School District (IDS) in Hamshire, Texas, told the outlet that “a version of The Diary of Anne Frank book that was not approved by the district was read in class.”

"The teacher was sent home [Wednesday]. There is an active investigation," added Canizales. PEOPLE reached out to Canizales for further comment.

Anne Frank's Diary: The Graphic Adaptation, adapted by Ari Folman and illustrated by David Polonsky, was released in 2018. It includes intimate passages that had been edited out of Frank's original diary, which she wrote beginning at age 12 and which was first published in Frank's native Dutch in 1947.

If Anne Frank can experience this, then students of the same age are mature enough to read about it.

Terrifying

"The authors whose books were targeted were “most frequently female, people of colour, and/or LGBTQ+ individuals”, read the report. It found that 30% of banned books included characters of colour and themes of race and racism, 30%
represented LGBTQ+ characters or themes, and 6% included a transgender character."

national news now.

There's finally some consequences for the Sheriff. He's been suspended:

The police chief who led a highly criticized raid of a small Kansas newspaper has been suspended, the mayor confirmed to The Associated Press on Saturday.

Marion Mayor Dave Mayfield in a text said he suspended Chief Gideon Cody on Thursday. He declined to discuss his decision further and did not say whether Cody was still being paid.

Voice messages and emails from the AP seeking comment from Cody’s lawyers were not immediately returned Saturday.

The Aug. 11 searches of the Marion County Record’s office and the homes of its publisher and a City Council member have been sharply criticized, putting Marion at the center of a debate over the press protections offered by the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Cody’s suspension is a reversal for the mayor, who previously said he would wait for results from a state police investigation before taking action.

Vice-Mayor Ruth Herbel, whose home was also raided Aug. 11, praised Cody’s suspension as “the best thing that can happen to Marion right now” as the central Kansas town of about 1,900 people struggles to move forward under the national spotlight.

“We can’t duck our heads until it goes away, because it’s not going to go away until we do something about it,” Herbel said.

This is still a far cry from firing him. This still has the potential to bankrupt a small town like this and it's the least (seriously, they couldn't have done less), they could do.

step by step ...

Republicans in the Ohio state legislature are threatening to strip state courts of their authority to review cases related to Issue 1, the ballot measure approved by voters on Tuesday that established a right to abortion in the state constitution.

A group of four state GOP lawmakers announced their plans in a press release Thursday, which also teased forthcoming legislative action in response to voters' approval of the reproductive rights initiative.

A leader of far-right book burners turns out to be a nonce.

A leader of far-right book burners turns out to be a nonce.
A man leading a group called Moms For Liberty that constantly complains about 'men pretending to be women'. Bit on the nose isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom