Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How low can we go - Newcastle united 2019/20

so looks like MBS is behind this. Hes not short of money but his antics are a different league to the poundshop robber baron. How do i feel about world class shit like this possibly owning the club ? yes there will be silverware sooner rather than later just by the injection of swathes of ill gotten petrodollars. fucking hell. the barcode masses will love ( love it) a bit of success and may likely overlook his shitty murderous going ons. I want to see us do well/ better obviously, but this is deeply unsettling. A possible state owned club, and not a nice state either

I remember talking to one of the Chelsea supporters' club officials when Roman Abramovich bought 'Chelski'. I asked what the feeling was among supporters that the new owner was basically a sketchy oligarch.

He said, "If he's got deep pockets and a penchant for silverware, we don't give a fuck."

At the time, I thought that was a somewhat unsubtle, unnuanced attitude. After ten years of Mike Fucking Ashley, I'd be delighted if the club were bought by His Satanic Majesty.

I remember talking to one of the Chelsea supporters' club officials when Roman Abramovich bought 'Chelski'. I asked what the feeling was among supporters that the new owner was basically a sketchy oligarch.

He said, "If he's got deep pockets and a penchant for silverware, we don't give a fuck."

At the time, I thought that was a somewhat unsubtle, unnuanced attitude. After ten years of Mike Fucking Ashley, I'd be delighted if the club were bought by His Satanic Majesty.

Is that a request? :)

If the Newcastle take over goes ahead this will mean that only five clubs in the EFL have English owners

Well, yes. That may be true, but the argument infers that 14 clubs sold out before Newcastle.

I don't see how English ownership is superior in some way, given the status of the Premier league.

And to address the converse agrument: it's not like any English owners of Newcastle (or any other club) achieved anything worth a crap recently.

Well, yes. That may be true, but the argument infers that 14 clubs sold out before Newcastle.

I don't see how English ownership is superior in some way, given the status of the Premier league.

And to address the converse agrument: it's not like any English owners of Newcastle (or any other club) achieved anything worth a crap recently.
Not having a go at Newcastle. Despite deep misgivings about states effectively owning clubs, human rights etc (which to be fair are completely out of the hands of supporters) I'd probably be rubbing my hands if I were a long suffering Newcastle supporter. I know my brother in law will be. My point about foreign ownership is how the EPL is largley an investment area for foreign capital. With the exception of Germany all European leagues are.

Irrespective of the nationality of the owners the models of club ownership for me are where supporters are heavily represented on the board and are active in protecting and advancing supporters views, where clubs keep prices low , pay matchday staff the living wage and contribute to local communities.

Not having a go at Newcastle. Despite deep misgivings about states effectively owning clubs, human rights etc (which to be fair are completely out of the hands of supporters) I'd probably be rubbing my hands if I were a long suffering Newcastle supporter. I know my brother in law will be. My point about foreign ownership is how the EPL is largley an investment area for foreign capital. With the exception of Germany all European leagues are.

Irrespective of the nationality of the owners the models of club ownership for me are where supporters are heavily represented on the board and are active in protecting and advancing supporters views, where clubs keep prices low , pay matchday staff the living wage and contribute to local communities.

Fair enough.

:thumbs:

TBF questions should really be asked why anyone would buy a football club at present, given the uncertainty and the looming recession.

TBF questions should really be asked why anyone would buy a football club at present, given the uncertainty and the looming recession.

Its an interesting question as to how top flight football will be affected in the mid to long term consequences of Covoid 19. However in terms of is this the right time to invest, Ryanair replaced a lot of its fleet days after 9/11 when the skies were empty and no one was flying.

Last edited:
Also from the indie Amnesty International writes to Premier League about Newcastle takeover

Patsy. Sportwashing.....

"Whether or not this deal goes ahead, we’re calling on Newcastle United staff and fans to familiarise themselves with the dire human rights situation in Saudi Arabia and be prepared to speak out about it."

Will they ban women and alcohol from the ground?
If it does go ahead it gives a few people a great opportunity to protest against the Saudis.

is the ransom strip around the ground still in place ? the ground is bordered by parkland and georgian houses- many many attempts to expand into the park have been rebuffed in the past

looks to be in the final furlong from various sites. KSA, Rueben brothers and staveley ownership. Im torn about this. you want principles( which ashley doeesnt have) and some kind of success, the new lot are a vile vile collection of capitalist pigdogs but may get some success. Suppose the whole PL is like this anyway.

Back
Top Bottom