Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How do you have your kebab?

No worries, I'm in East London - the quadrant from here to North London is an excellent area for kebabs - loads of Turkish or Kurdish run kebab shops and restaurants, also a selection of similar Greek, Middle Eastern, and North African fare to be had - if I am ever in Finland I know to avoid the kebabs and go for Finnish food :D
Theres infinite times more options than we have here, we have the combined pizza/kebab/fish n chips place. Admittedly they do a decent kebab and it last a while if you get the right one but £18 is pushing it where I can get a fresh meal down the pub for half that. Let alone cooking at home which is by far the default and I can feed 4 for a tenner with loads left over.

Theres infinite times more options than we have here, we have the combined pizza/kebab/fish n chips place. Admittedly they do a decent kebab and it last a while if you get the right one but £18 is pushing it where I can get a fresh meal down the pub for half that.
Yeah I have to say unfortunately the price has gone up here for kebabs as it has for everything else, however pub prices are around the same so if one particularly fancies a kebab it's not like going to a pub for a burger will be any cheaper.
Last time I got a takeaway it was Indian, but I take advantage of Just Eat "Cheeky Tuesday" 20% off deals, which helps a bit with the cost, and N usually has Tuesday nights off so it works to have takeaway then, if we can afford it.
I've been skint for so long I know where to find most of the good deals, like the weekday lunchtime deal that The Real Greek do (we have one not far from us) is excellent value for decent sit down Greek food including souvlaki and other kebab style fare.

I’m visiting Finland and I honestly feel a bit sorry for kebab fans who only have access to this version of a doner meal.

It’s not that the brown, sweet, spicy (not gravy!) sauce is bad, nor are the crinkle cut fries doused in same sauce and relish mix terrible. I can even live with my salad with Big Mac sauce as salad dressing, but sorry Finland, this kebab meat is a travesty!

A tiny portion of what looks like chopped up, warmed up (not grilled) flat slices of kebab meat with dodgy spicing. This is not kebab as I know it! 3/10 :mad:

View attachment 433892View attachment 433893View attachment 433894View attachment 433895View attachment 433896
The filthy Nordic perverts!!! 😡

Sadly no photos but I had an unholy mess of a burger this. Chicken breast, burger and toped with doner meat. Spicy sauce. It was horrific and amazing. Not had anything like it 20 years. The worst part is I was sober.

Takeaway no frills kebab from our local chippy + kebab shop, it was massive and delicious.

You can't actually see much of the meat, but it was mixed kebab with chicken and lamb shish (lots of it!), all the salad, bit of chilli sauce and lots of garlic sauce in a pitta (£10)

I also had some chips from N's large cod n chips offering.

Just about managed to eat it all. Now sitting here sweating from the effort and heat in our flat :D

IMG_20240812_200736_712.jpg

Wonderful. That's the problem with salad, isn't it? Can't see the meat. Think it's always a win if served separate.

I've found a new place, portions aren't quite so epic, but still very decent. Had a mixed chicken doner, lamb doner, sheek and chicken tikka in naan last night. However, I was so hungry after my run/walk thing I dived in without photos. I'll have to get another for the sake of the thread. :D

Wonderful. That's the problem with salad, isn't it? Can't see the meat. Think it's always a win if served separate.

I've found a new place, portions aren't quite so epic, but still very decent. Had a mixed chicken doner, lamb doner, sheek and chicken tikka in naan last night. However, I was so hungry after my run/walk thing I dived in without photos. I'll have to get another for the sake of the thread. :D
Yeh same I looked at it and thought it was N's based off the completely absence of meat. Found out my local doers fill the box basically, add lettuce you get a pile of that, etc. Add nothing but sauces and they fill it with meat and chips, since I have the massive naan separate. Chop up half a lettuce and whatever and throw some turkish garlic sauce on it and its a far better replacement than the half steamed stuff that turns up and costs maybe 40p. Plus you get more meat and chips, especially there anyway.

Yep I mean it was all in the same box - pitta was absolutely rammed with perfectly grilled meat though, then sauces on top, salad in the lid of the box but then closed up to take home - it was fine, it's a 5 minute walk so no time for anything to go soggy but it's all in a pile when you get there :D
It was good though, and a balanced offering in terms of meat vs salad.

I don't get the naan that everyone else is referring to, sounds like you're going to an Indian place rather than a Turkish place. Here it's all pitta or pide if you go to a Turkish kebab shop, you get naan if you're ordering an Indian style kebab/tandoori type thing from a curry house.

Yep I mean it was all in the same box - pitta was absolutely rammed with perfectly grilled meat though, then sauces on top, salad in the lid of the box but then closed up to take home - it was fine, it's a 5 minute walk so no time for anything to go soggy but it's all in a pile when you get there :D
It was good though, and a balanced offering in terms of meat vs salad.

I don't get the naan that everyone else is referring to, sounds like you're going to an Indian place rather than a Turkish place. Here it's all pitta or pide if you go to a Turkish kebab shop, you get naan if you're ordering an Indian style kebab/tandoori type thing from a curry house.

Yeah, the naan thing is definitely fusion food, but it works. My main place is Bangladeshi. Many places will offer pita and it's a bit cheaper, but it's often a poor subsitute for a freshly made bit of bread. I know it's totally not authentic. Mind you one of the nicest kebab things I had in Turkey was in small town with no tourists, I ordered with Google Translate, and it came in a soft white roll! New place offers shaliska and no curry, but suspect they've got to offer naan as it's what's expected up here.

Yeh same I looked at it and thought it was N's based off the completely absence of meat. Found out my local doers fill the box basically, add lettuce you get a pile of that, etc. Add nothing but sauces and they fill it with meat and chips, since I have the massive naan separate. Chop up half a lettuce and whatever and throw some turkish garlic sauce on it and its a far better replacement than the half steamed stuff that turns up and costs maybe 40p. Plus you get more meat and chips, especially there anyway.

I've posted before, but one place near literally fills a pizza box. It's 3 meals even for me. :D

Yeah, the naan thing is definitely fusion food, but it works. My main place is Bangladeshi. Many places will offer pita and it's a bit cheaper, but it's often a poor subsitute for a freshly made bit of bread. I know it's totally not authentic. Mind you one of the nicest kebab things I had in Turkey was in small town with no tourists, I ordered with Google Translate, and it came in a soft white roll! New place offers shaliska and no curry, but suspect they've got to offer naan as it's what's expected up here.
It's why I like some of the more restauranty type places here, because you get a fresh pide (which is more like a naan than a pitta), but I've only been to one Turkish kebab shop takeaway where that was standard.

Pide is pretty easy to make at home mind you, but that's kind of avoiding the point of a takeaway kebab :D

(I use this fairly foolproof recipe in case anyone is interested, as a slight aside to the thread!)

I've posted before, but one place near literally fills a pizza box. It's 3 meals even for me. :D
Idk where you are but I want to try this now. Went to a specific chicken shop in London a mate recommended (tho turned out she was awful), had emailed in advance etc and said like can we get a slightly out of area delivery and all this. They sent out like 4x what we ordered, didn't charge delivery and refused a tip to make up any of the difference. Chicken George in case anyone is wondering. Even with a giant me on gym and eating once a day, a ravenous teenage boy and 3 more we still couldn't finish it. Cost like £25 in the end. Sure they gave us £80 of food. Of course we left a great review but that wasn't even mentioned.

Nepalese is most local one thats mainstream and specific. They offered to show me how to make their momos, I continually regret not taking them up on that after being very keen at the time.

God I love pide. There should be more places that do them as a proper pizza alternative!

But when I want my kebab/junk food fix, I don't expect it be authentic. Especially not a Tameside prices. For what you get, I think it's one of the best value takeaways going at the right price. Just dirty mixed meats on bread and/or chips with other nice bits. I mean I never had tandoori chicken in kebabs in turkey either, but it's nice. :)

Obviously not from Tameside....

1723495291632.jpeg

1723495331489.png

1723495363365.jpeg

My local Asda has started stocking frozen doner meat. If it's anything like the Iceland stuff it's utter filth, but in a rather good way. Works well in mini wraps.

I rarely eat kebabs now as I don't go out drinking and it used to be one of the possible takeaways on way home.
But on holiday in Thailand there is a pub/restaurant chain called Hemingway's which is like Wetherspoons in UK, and I like their rolled up doner kebabs which cost about £3. I haven't seen anything like these here.
Screenshot 2024-08-14 14.08.11.png

I rarely eat kebabs now as I don't go out drinking and it used to be one of the possible takeaways on way home.
But on holiday in Thailand there is a pub/restaurant chain called Hemingway's which is like Wetherspoons in UK, and I like their rolled up doner kebabs which cost about £3. I haven't seen anything like these here.
View attachment 438146

Lots of places round this way do a doner wrap.

View attachment 438146

Most places will do a rolled version (in London anyway). You just need to ask!

I need to stop looking at this thread, had a kebab Monday it's now Wednesday and I want another one.
Love kebabs! :D
All types of kebabs, in all formations, from various nations :)
(Poor attempt at kebab poetry, not as poetic or lyrical as the mingling of chilli sauce and garlic sauce on perfectly grilled lamb).

I was meeting friends yesterday in Brockwell Park and was gagging for a kebab. Not a doner only joint but something better. I went to Sara kebab house opposite the Herne Hill entrance. A lovely Turkish restaurant with a take away kebab wrap (five choices) for around eight quid.

I loved it so much I wore it for the rest of the evening. Home made wrap bread. Marinated lamb cubes over charcoal. Sauce and salad. Yum.

Back
Top Bottom