Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hot upcoming gigs

Can't remember if I've mentioned it, but I stupidly bought a UK Subs ticket forgetting I was going to be away then, can I interest anyone in a ticket for the possibly last UK Subs tour? Oh, in Manchester, that's probably relevant information.

another subculture is made at pagemasters in deptford. getting a zine printed there soon so have been wrestling with riso files today
I miss Deptford. When i moved away, it looked like it was being irretrievably gentrified, despite there being a radical political and cultural scene. Glad there’s still some holdouts. I see The Bird’s Nest is still clinging on too. :cool:

I've often thought that the 80s NY Hardcore scene is a little under-represented in Devon, so I'm pleasantly surprised to see Sick Of It All playing in Plymouth in April.
I thought of you the other day when I read this article - have you heard of him? He lives where I used to go camping back in the day

I thought of you the other day when I read this article - have you heard of him? He lives where I used to go camping back in the day
No, but my mate Greg lives there. I'd be surprised if he doesn't know him. Porthcothan's not exactly a thriving metropolis.

I've often thought that the 80s NY Hardcore scene is a little under-represented in Devon, so I'm pleasantly surprised to see Sick Of It All playing in Plymouth in April.
when I live in Exeter in the late 00s Plymouth had a pretty decent hardcore scene! few bands coming up from Cornwall too iirc.

SOIA are playing near me the same night as Olivia Laing is doing a talk for her new book about gardens. But her thing starts at 7 so there's a part of me wondering whether I might be able to get down to the talk about gardening and still be able to make it over for clobbering time.
Negative Approach playing Leeds, Manchester and London in late May as well, that's not much help if you're in Plymouth though.

when I live in Exeter in the late 00s Plymouth had a pretty decent hardcore scene! few bands coming up from Cornwall too iirc.
It's still there but has shrunk especially since covid. I don't think it ever quite recovered from White Rabbit closing despite the other venues stepping up.

Can't remember if I've mentioned it, but I stupidly bought a UK Subs ticket forgetting I was going to be away then, can I interest anyone in a ticket for the possibly last UK Subs tour? Oh, in Manchester, that's probably relevant information.

Not me but my mate would love that although he’s in Bristol. He named his cat after Charlie Harper. They’re one of his favourite bands.

Might be something to tempt someone around town.

434467611_829273585893429_9167668246405977407_n.jpg

Would have like to have caught Doctors of Madness. Used to quite like them forty years ago. :eek:

Polecats might need the pole for support too.

Would have like to have caught Doctors of Madness. Used to quite like them forty years ago. :eek:

Polecats might need the pole for support too.
Yeah, it was Doctors of Madness that caught my eye too. I'll probably dither about going long enough for it to sell out before I get a ticket.
Any idea what time midweek gigs finish at the 100 Club?

got reminded by a pal that we're off to hard skin at the lexington in a few weeks time. took some kids to the gipsy rose cafe on a school trip recently but was advised that it was inappropriate to play them this

got reminded by a pal that we're off to hard skin at the lexington in a few weeks time. took some kids to the gipsy rose cafe on a school trip recently but was advised that it was inappropriate to play them this

I think I tried doing a pilgrimage to the Paxton when I was visiting London a few years back, I think it might be a tad more upmarket now than it was in the early 90s though.

yeah think it's changed quite a bit. so much that a pal who lives up the road had given it the title of 'worst pub in london'. i think it's actually closed now, or lived in by some art kids?

Stereo MCs, Inspiral Carpets and Happy Mondays tomorrow night in Liverpool. Clashes with the Grand National, town will be fucking mental afterwards.
How was it? I love the Mondays. Saw them in their native habitat at Manchester Academy a few years ago and they were far better than I expected.

Space have a new album out called Blood & Bubblegum and I hate the fact that I know EXACTLY what it'll sound like, what the cover art will look like, and what the songs will be like. I've followed them for years and one thing I liked about them was that they weren't predictable, but they've become predictable now. I miss the days when they wrote songs like Neighbourhood and Avenging Angels, and it feels like Tommy's running out of ideas and just writes about horror movies instead. Their last album honestly came across like they were trying to do redo Spiders, but they can't recapture that sound because only half of the band members from that album are still in the band (Jamie left twice and Andy's dead), tech has moved on and Yorkie won't work with them because he's too busy doing his own thing and he and Franny hate each other. Plus all the swearing and 2edgy4u lyrics came across as tryhard. I'm not a prude about swearing, I like a lot of metal and some hip-hop and neither genre is known for polite lyrics, but with Space it sounds forced.

Also, as much as I love Tommy, they need to stop letting him do the artwork. I'm aware this is blasphemy in Space fandom but I'm...not a fan of his art.

They were great, all in fine form. Bez and Rowetta looked like they were having the time of their lives.

Wasn't too keen on Inspiral Carpets, they'd previously passed me by but Stereo MCs were excellent.

Back
Top Bottom