Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Knobheads at gigs

Take your time, Silas Loom

Old dogs, new tricks. The instinct for forgiveness which preserves us from throwing sprouts at mildly racist grandmothers over the Christmas table.

And it doesn’t really matter, not any more, what elderly musicians on nostalgia tours think about social issues. It may have seemed relevant in the heyday which they and their audience are celebrating, but it certainly isn’t now.

Old dogs, new tricks. The instinct for forgiveness which preserves us from throwing sprouts at mildly racist grandmothers over the Christmas table.

And it doesn’t really matter, not any more, what elderly musicians on nostalgia tours think about social issues. It may have seemed relevant in the heyday which they and their audience are celebrating, but it certainly isn’t now.

It's probably relevant to any trans folk attending their gigs, imho

But oh my God please don’t carry your beer into the mosh pit. I hate that thing when you’re trapped when the mosh starts and arcs of beer flinging up into the air and not being able to move as you watch it come down directly above you. Reluctant rueful smiles, wiping it off and hoping it’s not decanted piss.

Last edited:
But oh my God please don’t carry your beer into the mosh pit. I hate that thing when you’re trapped when the mosh starts and arcs of beer flinging up into the air and not being able to move as you watch it come down directly above you. Reluctant rueful smiles, wiping it off and hoping it’s wasn't decanted piss.
Ah, the romance of live music...

I rarely ever buy beer at gigs these days. It's always crap tasting, costs a bomb, comes in crappy plastic or paper cups and induces the inevitable visit to the toilets at the most inconvenient time.

I'd rather have a drink before/after in more comfortable surroundings for half the price.

There's having a beer and enjoying the gig, and then there's selfish, pissed, groping blokes spoiling it for others.

Wouldn't miss it if alcohol on the premises becomes a thing of the past.

Completely agree. The problem starts when the headliner has a 20 minute break in their two hour set, everyone goes for beers/a piss then wants their old place back. But that's just gigs innit, and it's not really a problem it's part of the night out :thumbs:

People who think they deserve a clear route to the front when the one song they've come to hear is being played are cunts. Like being at the front is going to change their life or something. Hold their phone up, get the video, head back again when the tune is done; cunts.

Last edited:
And it‘s always the hit that the band hate playing but have to play because the knobs only bought a ticket because they want to see that track played. And then they leave in their droves ”to catch the train“. Stopping at a pub for last orders on the way to the station.

But oh my God please don’t carry your beer into the mosh pit. I hate that thing when you’re trapped when the mosh starts and arcs of beer flinging up into the air and not being able to move as you watch it come down directly above you. Reluctant rueful smiles, wiping it off and hoping it’s not decanted piss.
Saw Rat Cage this year, was great but I could probably have done without the bit where the singer swung a pint horizontally directly at the audience, although at least I have glasses so didn't get any beer/cider directly in my eyes. Mind you, could always be worse, was recently talking with a friend who's also just old enough to remember the days immediately before the smoking ban was a thing, getting knocked into someone so they spill their pint over you is probably less bad then getting knocked into someone so their lit fag gets put out on you.

TBF those shit plastic pint pots don't help re spilling beer. I see a few metal bands but never go in the mosh pit. Getting elbowed in the face isn't really what I'm there for. :D

People who think they deserve a clear route to the front when the one song they've come to hear is being played are cunts. Like being at the front is going to change their life or something. Hold their phone up, get the video, head back again when the tune is done; cunts.
Anyone - literally anyone - who records a video clip on a phone at a gig should he banned from them for life.

last week I went to a show at the Forum in Kentish Town and was very pleased to see the banning of ruck sacks from the venue. Much needed everywhere, including London Underground. No bags bigger than A4 size allowed in...

You need a rucksack for hiking and camping and outdoor shit. Fuck off outdoors!

And it‘s always the hit that the band hate playing but have to play because the knobs only bought a ticket because they want to see that track played. And then they leave in their droves ”to catch the train“. Stopping at a pub for last orders on the way to the station.

They usually chat shit through the rest of the show...with their shit chat friends.

Nice thought but good luck with finding a venue that can be sustainable without it though.

This is very true. Gigs would come to halt if booze wasn't on sale. Promoters rely on bar spend to keep venue hire affordable.

Lots of venues will have a clause that expects the promoter to make up the difference if an 'expected' amount isn't taken on the night over the bar.

There's another band who plays in Dover quite a bit. Nationally famous old punk band. My friend informs me they are notorious for being anti-trans. always seems to be punk bands. So I can't go to see them. Makes me very wary of going at all as I've had a fair few idiots be weird around me at gigs.

And so being a vulnerable person in an audience when a member of the band spouts out transphobia from their privileged position on the stage, it puts me at risk, and I'm supposed to cut them some slack. sorry - being in your 70s is not an excuse for being a cunt. Especially if you're a punk.
Can I ask what the Dammed did/said? Reason I ask is they were supposed to be headlining at Rebellion this year and were replaced without explanation on the night. Might be joining dots unnecessarily of course.

Edit, scratch that, a moment's googling tells me Vanian did his back in.

Anyway, back on the thread: is there a tipping point in terms of people barging past? :hmm: Getting barged and your shoulder gets twisted round - just about okay. Whole body knocked round by 45 degrees, well, that's fighting time they get one of my hard stares. :mad:

Digressing to vent ( sorry ), in the cinema last night, there was a person about 10 seats away who started snoring after about 15 minutes 😡

Back
Top Bottom