Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Knobheads at gigs

For a while it felt like every band felt it had a duty to say something against trans people on stage. I know not every band, but quite a few I previously liked. Not only does it fuck up my mood and make me wish i hadn't spent money on those tickets, but it stokes the fans up for a bit of tr*nny bashing, so there's one reason I don't go to gigs any more.

For a while it felt like every band felt it had a duty to say something against trans people on stage. I know not every band, but quite a few I previously liked. Not only does it fuck up my mood and make me wish i hadn't spent money on those tickets, but it stokes the fans up for a bit of tr*nny bashing, so there's one reason I don't go to gigs any more.
wow which bands are these?

Almost every gig I gone to recently, there's at least one pissed older guy (50s or 60s) pushing forcefully and clumsily through the crowd to get to the bar whilst saying "I'm going to the bar!", and then trying to push their way back through precariously carrying 2 or 3 drinks.

It's like they think being pissed is either somehow charming and cute, or gives you a exemption from automatically being an irritating twat.

Almost every gig I gone to recently, there's at least one pissed older guy (50s or 60s) pushing forcefully and clumsily through the crowd to get to the bar whilst saying "I'm going to the bar!", and then trying to push their way back through precariously carrying 2 or 3 drinks.

It's like they think being pissed is either somehow charming and cute, or gives you a exemption from automatically being an irritating twat.
How else do you get to the bar and back though?

sorry bout dat

Over here, we often have to buy a drink at gigs, and anyway, sometimes it's nice to have a beverage at a gig. Being old and warty, like.

When younger, mostly didn't drink at gigs until maybe my thirties.

How else do you get to the bar and back though?

Round the sides.
You don't push through the middle!

There is definitely a skill to moving through the crowd without pissing people off. I’m known to be good at it and most of my friends will dutifully line up behind me if we decide to go down the front. Moving back up towards the bar is less problematic cos people can see you coming then.

to be clear, I’m not talking about a Pied Piper kind of conga line here. I say “most of my friends“ meaning most of those with whom I go to gigs. But I’m only ever moving through a crowd with one or two, three max, occasionally.

I had to add that because the image of me being followed by a stumbling line of people popped into my head.

Over here, we often have to buy a drink at gigs, and anyway, sometimes it's nice to have a beverage at a gig. Being old and warty, like.

When younger, mostly didn't drink at gigs until maybe my thirties.

It’s a drag having to hold the drink.
And young’uns don’t seem to drink as much as we did anyway.

what if youre already in the middle?

Then you go across, and up the side. Usually the right side (stage left).

You move across either slightly upwards or slightly downwards, like tacking against the wind, depending on various factors.

At the Academy, never tack down becasue of the crash barriers. At the Forum, never tack up unless you know exactly where the steps are behind the crowd. Very aggravating to everyone if you find yourself trying to get to the bar miles from the bloody stairs and have to push through to find them.

Pause every so often to look ahead. You’ll see that even in a crowd, people tend to stand in shoulder-shoulder lines, even if those lines are slightly skewed. Go in front of those lines, not behind. The lines aren’t very long, usually between 8 and 12 people long (they don’t all know each other). When you get to the end of one line, pause for a moment and look ahead.

wow which bands are these?
The one I particularly remember was The Damned. There were a few - but I forget for sure.

(another thing about being trans is nobody believes you, and so i guess i just imagined it all, right? Or I'm lying for some reason. Sick of being disbelieved tbh - never used to happen when i presented as a middle aged, straight white man)

There's another band who plays in Dover quite a bit. Nationally famous old punk band. My friend informs me they are notorious for being anti-trans. always seems to be punk bands. So I can't go to see them. Makes me very wary of going at all as I've had a fair few idiots be weird around me at gigs.

And so being a vulnerable person in an audience when a member of the band spouts out transphobia from their privileged position on the stage, it puts me at risk, and I'm supposed to cut them some slack. sorry - being in your 70s is not an excuse for being a cunt. Especially if you're a punk.

The one I particularly remember was The Damned. There were a few - but I forget for sure.

(another thing about being trans is nobody believes you, and so i guess i just imagined it all, right? Or I'm lying for some reason. Sick of being disbelieved tbh - never used to happen when i presented as a middle aged, straight white man)
I believe you that's why I was curious which bands and what happened

I saw the Damned earlier this year, I don’t remember them doing anything like that, or saying anything that controversial. i’m not saying I don’t believe you or anything like that but maybe they just reacting to something in the media at the time. Not to excuse that. I mean I’m not trans I don’t know what it would’ve been like to be trans in the gig I went to but there was no Aggie statements at that gig.

But yeah pricks who barged through crowds. Don’t make their shoulders soft and move sideways just bowl through. Fuck those people.

Back
Top Bottom