Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Knobheads at gigs

:weed:

I cannot like this paragraph enough:

"It may seem a stretch, but modern gig behaviour speaks of a broader societal malaise. It stems from the same arrogant attitude that makes people play videos out loud on public transport. In an atomised society, all anyone cares about is their own pleasure"

:weed:

I cannot like this paragraph enough:

"It may seem a stretch, but modern gig behaviour speaks of a broader societal malaise. It stems from the same arrogant attitude that makes people play videos out loud on public transport. In an atomised society, all anyone cares about is their own pleasure"

I think it's people being alienated from themselves as well as alienated from each other. Unmediated, undocumented, uncommented on experiences are hard for some people to comprehend I think. All those months when only mediated experiences were available probably didn't help, but it's been a trend for ages.

It is really alarming to me that people can no longer drive without a screen to look at. More alarming is the fact that everyone else thinks it's fine.

Tall person here (6’4”). I do feel sorry for you shorties but what am I meant to do? I’m taller than pretty much everyone so do I have to stand at the back at every gig?

I've never been to a bad gig and every single person I've ever seen or met at a gig was absolutely amazing. Considered, polite, generous, very funny, appreciative, and very good looking.
Most of these encounters morphed into very close friendships, hence I have 1000s of friends.

I’m pretty tall but try to appreciate shorter people in these situations by getting near the front but standing to the side nearest the wall. I think it’s a fair compromise as I’m buggered if I’m going to be permanently relegated to the back.

Tall person here (6’4”). I do feel sorry for you shorties but what am I meant to do?
Have some awareness of people around you. When you find the perfect spot to see the band, glance behind you - have you just stood directly in front of a 5' person? If you have, maybe suggest they move in front of you, or at least shuffle left or right a bit.

tbh most of the issues ive had with gigs recently is venues over selling tickets which seems to have gotten worse after the pandemic. saw the beths at brixton electric and couldnt move for ppl. moth club up in hackney is also awful for packing too many people in. might be cos i usually go to smaller shows but rarely have any of the issues in the article, tho did play a gig in sheffield where the promoters friend talked loudly through every single band. unfortunately he was huge so no one told him to stfu...

It's such a shame when mobile phones get accidentally knocked out of hands onto the floor (or at festivals into the mud), by other people dancing vigorously and waving their hands in the air :thumbs:

Last edited:
Went to see Warrington Runcorn New Town Development Plan recently - deep cerebal electronica to close your eyes and get lost in - except one guy had other ideas and insisted on yakking away to his girlfriend and bellowing encouragement to Mr. Warrington 'COME ON!' 'YES!'. I was too wimpy to have a word as the guy looked a bit unhinged. Eventually though others did ask if he could pipe down and he started squaring up to them. I've never seen someone up for a scrap at an ambient gig before.... very odd.

My pet hate at gigs though is people clapping along. No. Don't do this. Went to see Built to Spill recently and one track started off with this filthy distorted noisy drone. It was a great moment but to my disbelief a section of the crowd started clap clap clapping - not even in time - totally ruining it. No. Go and clap inappropriately elsewhere please.

Have some awareness of people around you. When you find the perfect spot to see the band, glance behind you - have you just stood directly in front of a 5' person? If you have, maybe suggest they move in front of you, or at least shuffle left or right a bit.
Of course

Talking loudly to your pal is obviously twat behaviour (I paid to hear the band, not you talking) but if you don't want to hear people singing along, clapping or otherwise engaging with the band performing because they're really enjoying it, stay at home and listen to the album instead.

Dexys last night.

Member of security team walked around beforehand with a board, 'Please no pics, mobiles on silence...etc' and I don't know whether it was the age of the audience or what, but everyone - that I could see - totally respected it, not a wave-your-hand-in-the-air mobile in sight. Just a lot of creaky ol' soul dancing from us puffing pensioners.

I'm over six foot, always have a look to see if I am blatantly blocking someones view and move (a little) if so. And then some oven taller bastard comes and stays right in front of me.

Likewise, they'll be bits where I'll sing along (not too loudly, I'm not evil) and that is fine when it's the band doing their big one, or something. But at some gigs....I got a bootleg of one recent Pavement gig and decided not to bother booking for them as the entire set was drowned out by the audience singing along, despite not knowing half the words. Fucking ruinous.

Dexys last night.

Member of security team walked around beforehand with a board, 'Please no pics, mobiles on silence...etc' and I don't know whether it was the age of the audience or what, but everyone - that I could see - totally respected it, not a wave-your-hand-in-the-air mobile in sight. Just a lot of creaky ol' soul dancing from us puffing pensioners.
Good going considering every gig used 'Seat filler' services, I could have got a ticket for a fiver.

BBC Big band at Regents Park Open Air Theatre (yeah I know right..) last Sunday
Team of ushers were monitoring the crown from the back and anyone that dared slip out their phone to grab a quick 10 seconds of the latest Dave Brubeck banger was quickly spoken to sternly in a strong whisper.

Good going considering every gig used 'Seat filler' services, I could have got a ticket for a fiver.

I've been reading about this in various places, how do you sign up to be a seat filler?

Few weeks ago, Spiritualized at Hackney Church, small audience, great venue. Last 2 songs I was near some woman who just wouldn't shut up, right at the front as well. Loads of chatter from the back as well.

Aging hipsters high on IPA and disco dust.

I've never been to a really big gig like eg. Nikki Manaj. Maybe that's where most of the bad behaviour is. People there just to say they were there or have a night out.

Back
Top Bottom