Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Knobheads at gigs

I'd cut that a bit of slack - as they probably didn't turn up at the cinema intending to snore. I often involuntarily drop off at the cinema myself in the early parts of films, and if I was snoring I wouldn't mind someone giving me a gentle nudge or tap to revive me.

I cannot bear people who talk at gigs as in have a full blown conversation that is not minimal comment about the gig. I tend to shoot a look & move into another place. Recent gigs it happened at was Peter Hook & Steve Mason. My friend ended up telling 2 of the chatterboxes at Steve Mason to please be quiet or move to the bar.

At Peter Hook then were tons of drunk chatty people so we moved & next folk we were next to included a group of I’m guessing men in their 40s who one or more kept farting which they all found hilarious. Whole area was honking so I’m adding farting men to the list.

Another gig tonight, if I recall it was around £40 a ticket & multiples of people talking. Decided to listen to a bit of the support which was a DJ & fair enough people talking through this but I just knew I was next to people to my left who were never going to not talk so I moved but sadly it was everywhere. People literally louder than the band on stage.

I truly find it baffling.

Happy to report I went to a much smaller gig last Sunday & people listened to the bands. Bring a small room most likely helped.

We saw Die Antwoord last night, and there was a right bunch of twats right in front of us. Being really loud and taking constant selfies with the flash on full so they were blinding everyone behind them. Then one of them sparked up what smelled like a super-strong joint, and a few minutes later was having a panic attack on the floor :D And when the band finally came on, one of the girls got up on the bloke's shoulders so nobody could see. :mad:

Luckily when the crowd surged we moved sideways and got away from them.

I cannot bear people who talk at gigs as in have a full blown conversation that is not minimal comment about the gig. I tend to shoot a look & move into another place. Recent gigs it happened at was Peter Hook & Steve Mason. My friend ended up telling 2 of the chatterboxes at Steve Mason to please be quiet or move to the bar.

At Peter Hook then were tons of drunk chatty people so we moved & next folk we were next to included a group of I’m guessing men in their 40s who one or more kept farting which they all found hilarious. Whole area was honking so I’m adding farting men to the list.
I saw the Manics on the Everything Must Go tour in Leeds, and in James' acoustic bit, he did Ocean Spray. I love that song but I could have done without the drunk twats in front of me having a shouty conversation all the way through it.

The worst behaviour at a gig I've been to wasn't a recent one - it was Cerys Matthews in Manchester in 2006, when she was touring her second solo album. There were some drunk women in front of me and they kept shouting for Chardonnay all the way through the sodding gig, and started a fight during Weightless Again, and Cerys had to stop the gig and ask if they were OK. Then she got one of them onstage to do Chardonnay with her - which was pretty fucking generous, I have to say - and the woman got all the words wrong. And it did affect Cerys' performance, because it was Academy 3, not a big venue, and I saw her in Liverpool the next day and she was visibly more relaxed. I met her after the gig and we got talking about Manchester, and she said the shouty women were putting her off.

I went to see Nick Parker at The Globe in Newcastle back in March. It's not a big venue by any stretch. In fact it's one oblong room that holds about 100 people with a bar on one side and a stage at the far end.

There were 8 inconsiderate oiks who though it was fine to yak-on loudly all the way though the gig with no consideration for the people on stage or those of us who paid to see them. At least 4 people told them to be quiet but were ignored. Just goes to show how selfish those people were.

Nick even asked the sound tech for his sound monitor and PA to be turned up due to "interference". I doubt he will play Newcastle again after having to fight against the tide of a few idiots. Frankly, it was embarrsing! :(

Tbf I don't really see many singalong bands. The fella behind me at Lankum who thought I wanted to hear him singing Monday Morning might have been surprised to know I wasn't that keen on his rendition. No fucker else was singing just the fella next to me. When he started shouting "Ian, Ian, your lead's...something something" I was embarrassed for him. Or maybe embarrassed that someone might think he was with me.
I know someone like this. She is an absolute pain in the hole. She'll scream at the singer all the way through the gig and I hate standing next to her because she'll keep jabbing me to check I'm having a good time, because I can't possibly be having a good time if I'm just happily standing there singing along. She did it at the Divine Comedy residence gigs and I wasn't there but according to a mate who was, people were staring and laughing at her. She does it at Space as well and she'll keep shouting stuff at Tommy and Franny. All the way through the gig. It does my fucking head in. You're not the band's number one fan just because you can't stop trying to get Tommy's attention for five fucking minutes.

Adding to this problem is that gigs aren't as loud nowadays - if you get someone talking next to you they're often audible even when the band/artist are playing unless you're towards the front

I saw Arthur Brown in Preston the other night. A couple of pockets of loud talkers there, specifically in front of me. :mad: Not coked up let's ave it wankers, just small groups of women talking fairly normally (as in 'normally' for a night out). I felt really conflicted, just normal stuff, normal slightly loud conversations, people having a night out. But at the same time, I'd have thought, if you are seeing a band that's what you should be doing.

Agree with this though:
Adding to this problem is that gigs aren't as loud nowadays - if you get someone talking next to you they're often audible even when the band/artist are playing unless you're towards the front
The problem went away in the louder numbers.

Adrienne Lenker at the Bristol Beacon on Monday night was probably the most respectful crowd I’ve ever encountered, you could have heard a pin drop, not a whisper from any of the 1000 plus crowd. The downside of this was that I was particularly flatulent and had to hold my farts in for most of it and that gave me really bad stomach cramps by the end.

Maybe it was a sitting down thing? I don’t usually go to gigs where you get a seat.

Id honestly not go to concert if they introduced this
#me to.
Mobile phones hadn't been invented when I first started going to concerts; I don't feel I've missed out. If they want to see an orchestra playing and compare styles etc. they can look on line ffs.

A band I follow called When Rivers Meet played Southampton on 28th April. Someone posted a video on Facebook afterwards of how LOUD people were talking. It pissed a lot of people off, but the perpetrators weren't ejected,

Case tonight of the ubiquitous 'Bloke with a very loud voice who decides to shout into his mates ear during every song he decides not to listen to'.. :rolleyes:

Was anyone at Lana del Rey at Primavera Sound? Because apparently her fans acted like utter cunts at the Barcelona one and forgot basic gig etiquette like 'if person is on floor, help them up' or 'if person is injured or having a panic attack, let them pass'. There were some horror stories on the Primavera Reddit from people who'd been at LDR and had to be taken out due to panic attacks or illness, and LDR fans getting angry at the audacity of people wanting to leave and them having to move from their allotted few inches of space.

I saw PJ Harvey at the Porto festival and while she was boss, I could have done without the dickheads in front of me talking through the whole set. Including The Desperate Kingdom of Love, one of her quieter ones. And constantly posing for selfies. Why the fuck are you taking selfies during a PJ Harvey set instead of watching her?

I went to see the Zombies at the Barbican on Friday, which celebrated 60 years of them as recording artists. It was a good gig, if lacking bit in atmosphere as a seated venue. But the demographic was very much older males of 65 years plus with prostate trouble who have to keep nipping out for a piss every 20 minutes after having a pint in the interval.

About 20 people went for a pee during the film I saw tonight and all were younger than me (early 40s)

About 20 people went for a pee during the film I saw tonight and all were younger than me (early 40s)
It really annoys me, that. I know it’s beyond some people’s control, but how can people bear to miss even a second of a film they’ve made a special effort to attend and paid for too? If I was caught short and had to use the loo, I’d be tempted to cut my losses, go home and wait for the home release.

Was anyone at Lana del Rey at Primavera Sound? Because apparently her fans acted like utter cunts at the Barcelona one and forgot basic gig etiquette like 'if person is on floor, help them up' or 'if person is injured or having a panic attack, let them pass'. There were some horror stories on the Primavera Reddit from people who'd been at LDR and had to be taken out due to panic attacks or illness, and LDR fans getting angry at the audacity of people wanting to leave and them having to move from their allotted few inches of space.

I saw PJ Harvey at the Porto festival and while she was boss, I could have done without the dickheads in front of me talking through the whole set. Including The Desperate Kingdom of Love, one of her quieter ones. And constantly posing for selfies. Why the fuck are you taking selfies during a PJ Harvey set instead of watching her?
saw PJ Harvey at Primavera Porto too, but was sat up the bank on the side enjoying the sunset. had a few pissed up lads stumbling around but was a nice place to enjoy the set.

thought the crowds were great for the most part. super friendly and fun. had one drunk dad dancing up on us and trying to open my bag to show off to his mates at obongjayar which was really annoying. but overall was pleasantly surprised how nice and chill everyone was and how few ppl were absolutely wrecked//antisocial.

Back
Top Bottom