Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The cost of gigs and festivals

At the parents and Mum found an envelope with nearly all of my old gig tickets inside.

Obituary and Napalm Death at the Astoria (8th May '92') just £7.50.

Prodigy all nighter at Brixton (25th March '95) - £15.00

Pertinent to this discussion is a video I just encountered on YouTube. Looks like Live Nation and Ticketmaster have perfected the science of ticket price manipulation at least for big arena style gigs.

Somewhere around, I still have the ticket stub form 1978. It was for the Bob Dylan concert at Blackebush Airport. Cost £6.
I was working that day, so was said girlfriend at the time. I remember I drove there and parked almost outside. Because we were a little late, we just walked in without paying. On the other hand, we saw very little 😂

So many ways of stitching you up these days. Forget booking fees, agency fees etc. I gather some places charge more according to demand, then charge more for advanced admission, VIP event, back stage passes etc.
Both the magic flute and roger waters were about £180 per ticket 😮

So many ways of stitching you up these days. Forget booking fees, agency fees etc. I gather some places charge more according to demand, then charge more for advanced admission, VIP event, back stage passes etc.
Both the magic flute and roger waters were about £180 per ticket 😮
I went to one festival last year, where you could pay for your own personal toilet.

I went to one festival last year, where you could pay for your own personal toilet.

After years of enduring some pretty rank festival toilets, that’s actually one of the things I would be prepared to pay a premium for. Clean, dry, flushing, well lit toilets at a festival. Yea please.

I wonder how much of it is that it's just one of those things that's kept up with cost of living while wages and so on have fallen behind

But poor Billie has a long way to go to catch up with Taylor Swift in terms of wealth. 😂
I wonder what the VIP packages cost as I've heard rumours of them costing over £1000.
It's just crazy.

I think generally the "arts" are becoming quite unaffordable. Theatre tickets are really high for example in London.
I really hate the whole "booking fee" at big music venues; that's just an invented charge caused by outsourcing.

I could write an essay on how and why the entire funding model for arts in this country is fucked, but the tl;dr version is that - much like the rest of society - ever increasingly large amounts of money are being siphoned upwards into an ever increasingly small group of individuals and companies.

Sorry to digress slightly. I went to the wildlife photographer of the year earlier in the week. Booking online immediately before booking, a voluntary donation was automatically added to the price of a ticket which you had to opt out from if you wanted to.
On arrival at the NHM, we had to run the gauntlet of lots of staff all trying to encourage us to make a donation and proudly telly us we could do it by cash or machine.

Sorry to digress slightly. I went to the wildlife photographer of the year earlier in the week. Booking online immediately before booking, a voluntary donation was automatically added to the price of a ticket which you had to opt out from if you wanted to.
On arrival at the NHM, we had to run the gauntlet of lots of staff all trying to encourage us to make a donation and proudly telly us we could do it by cash or machine.

I was on the guest list for the last few things I went to before the Great Plague of 2020, and on each occasion I was shaken down for a £20 charity donation, which is what tickets for nights out used to cost.

I could write an essay on how and why the entire funding model for arts in this country is fucked, but the tl;dr version is that - much like the rest of society - ever increasingly large amounts of money are being siphoned upwards into an ever increasingly small group of individuals and companies.
Quite. Dynamic pricing (AKA an excuse to screw you even further) absolutely boils my piss! This is not my petition, BTW and happy to take it down if Admin wish but: Sign the Petition

As soon as I see ticketarser are the agent, I'll try my utmost to see if a different agent is selling tickets for the same gig. If ticketarser are the only outlet, I won't buy any tickets because I refuse to line their already very bulging pockets. I will NOT be exploited.

Like others, I stick with smaller venues/bands these days. Generally I pay an average of £20 a pop and often get to meet the bands before or afterwards.

I actually thought about this whilst being pestered for some K-pop gig tickets a couple of years ago.
Presuming 5 members of a K-pop band “played”for 90 minutes at the Danish musicians union requested minimum wage, then 200 quid or whatever it was, makes sense. Ultimately the request was denied because no.

Signed. Unfortunately, dynamic pricing is plaguing many things these days, not just gigs. I'm more pissed of by the major ticket sites touring tickets, which I thought was going to be outlawed.
I queued online for hours for ACDC tickets without success. I then looked at tickets being resold, by the major agencies and the tickets had already more than doubled in price.
Spoken, I confess, as someone who has previously bought tickets for cash ( it was a long time ago ) from routs outside the venue. I found out if you kept your nerve you could score them for face value or less.
Conversely, I have sold hard to obtain gig and footie tickets on the day of the event for face value for cash.

Another pertinent article

I do feel for people who have felt the pinch of the dynamic pricing thing. It sounds like the biggest swizz ever. On top of inflation and production costs, people are getting screwed over seeing big name artists. It certainly doesn't sound like it's the artists who are to blame either. Let's hope the DOJ manage to do some damage to Live Nation.

Thought this was interesting. I never knew about it until now.

IMG_5354.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom