Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"Don't watch the DJ, YOU're the show." and the Design of Clubs

S

Can you remember what was where? As far as I can tell the bar was along the bottom side, in front of the windows to the lightwell, with the DJ booth at the end. Any scribbles welcome!

View attachment 447477
it was like this when I went, I'm fairly sure. different to those layouts:
20241019_002753.jpg
I'm sure my scale is out, but I'm pretty confident on layout

it was like that in 2006-7-8, and like that on its closing night too

this article mentions Despacio which was all about the sound system, big speakers placed around the danceloor: "James Murphy and 2ManyDJs Despacio project, who almost hide themselves behind a set up geared toward an optimal audio experience. The DJs are tucked away in a barely lit corner, while the rest of room is exploding in a mirage of reflected light and flailing bodies"
I was already going to post this video - which I'll never tire of watching or posting - but you set it up nicely. Thanks :)

I never went, but I regret it all the time. My ex girlfriend went and said it was amazing. It looks, and sounds, like the perfect night to me now.

Fabric was great in the early 00s I used to love it so much. No idea how it’s panned out in the years since. It was a super club but there was nothing really super about it, it just felt like a small venue with more places to explore. It was great.
To me Fabric never felt like a small or intimate venue, even in the smaller rooms.

I'm going to Phonox tonight and I definitely appreciate that they put a sticker over your phone camera. Of course you can pull it off but it sets the tone.

I like the sound of phonox.
the last really good nightclub I went to was the short lived Dance Tunnel in dalston... much the same as plastic people. there are some ok places in hackney wick but they're a bit big and trendy. I'm sure Fold is good but not really up for the hours and the journey.... I follow the gay club scene in london by proxy these days (ie i get someone else to go and then tell me about it, and then tell them how all their "new" music was done better in the 90s)

View attachment 447491

This is pretty bang on with my recollection of it, and I went there at least 10 times I reckon

Very fond memories of Moodymann on the mic in his inimitable drawl “I’m taking requests y’all, and I ain’t playing none o’ that KDJ shit… I got some Prince for ya, I got some Parliament for ya”

Then later “my man said play something from Detroit, so imma play something from Detroit”

Drops Seven Nation Army

Scenes ensue

I like the sound of phonox.
Phonox is interesting but it is essentially a shiny bar with a relatively mainstream crowd that they have made into a good clubbing venue by installing an excellent sound system and driving forwards a brilliant music policy. So hats off to them.
I don't know if I'd travel for it, certainly the railway arches provide venues more suited to underground, intimate nights, but it's a 20min walk from home so I really appreciate it. Also I'm 50 so I don't really travel for anything any more and generally party infrequently and only south of the river.

Phonox is interesting but it is essentially a shiny bar with a relatively mainstream crowd that they have made into a good clubbing venue by installing an excellent sound system and driving forwards a brilliant music policy. So hats off to them.
I don't know if I'd travel for it, certainly the railway arches provide venues more suited to underground, intimate nights, but it's a 20min walk from home so I really appreciate it. Also I'm 50 so I don't really travel for anything any more and generally party infrequently and only south of the river.
I really like Phonox for all the reasons you say (especially the proximity to home). Haven't been there for a while but the last few times the atmosphere has been a bit 'laddier' than it used to be.

Soundshaft was good. DJ up by the toilets iirc. Dancefloor below. Bar out of the way. Plenty of sit bits.

I don't mind a facing the DJ dancing crowd tbh. What I don't like is clubs where the flow of people from room to room cuts through the dancefloor. Not a problem at Scala but was at Hidden and the 2nd room at ministry.

View attachment 447491

Yea this is right. Bar was on the left as you faced the front/booth, speakers and curtains separating the bar area from dance floor. Open but gave an extra bit of separation. Fat system. Went to a few FWDs in early days and often hardly anyone there 😅

Soundshaft was good. DJ up by the toilets iirc. Dancefloor below. Bar out of the way. Plenty of sit bits.

I don't mind a facing the DJ dancing crowd tbh. What I don't like is clubs where the flow of people from room to room cuts through the dancefloor. Not a problem at Scala but was at Hidden and the 2nd room at ministry.

And sometimes the area full of polystyrene balls that you lay down in. That was amazing..

'Are people talking about dancing instead of doing it?' For some reason made me think of this thread.:D

Guilty as charged tbh.

'Are people talking about dancing instead of doing it?' For some reason made me think of this thread.:D

Guilty as charged tbh.
I've actually felt the opposite. I've been sober and not been out properly for 5 years, but hear about way more free/squat/warehouse parties than I ever did when I was going out. Think, annoyingly, I've finally got to know the right people just as I'm no longer interested in going out.

I wonder how much this is a case of the journo getting older, going out less and reading more books.

Back
Top Bottom