Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bob Dylan demands a phone and smartwatch-free show

He also had the video screens either side of the Pyramid Stage turned off for his set at Glastonbury 1998. Which was shit. So it looks like he's been giving people exactly the same experience for over 26 years now.
That's pointlessly hair shirt and totally misunderstands what it is like to be at a big gig like that. They're not particularly good unless you're right at the front, so most people need the screens.

Big shows like that are shit really. If Dylan objects to them, he should stick to playing small venues rather than making most of the people in big places have an even more disconnected experience.

I'm going to come across as an old fart here (accurately) but a lot of young people have no idea how to attend live music. I've accompanied my tween daughter to several gigs recently (Lizzo, Olivia Rodrigo, and Melanie Martinez) and a significant majority of that demographic upwards to 30s seem to think a gig involves you standing perfectly still, phone aloft, watching your video of the performance (or your video of the video screen of the performance). I encourage my daughter to take a couple of pictures then enjoy the music, but even if you don't partake, the experience is really marred when most of the rest of the crowd is doing that. When it's a majority I don't see how the crowd can change it without pressure coming from the artists and venues.

Of course most of the old timers going to see Bob Dylan won't do that so it's probably not needed, and only a cantankerous git like him would enforce no phones.
Byung Chul Han: "Everything that once connected us is slowly disappearing."

A good example is an old acid house rave. All that energy, mental and emptional space. All that non-interupted "being there." now, at rave you have the digital flowing through everything. It's either there (people filming, texting, etc), or it's never far away (The pull and draw to get your phone out for some reason, or its monitoring your steps, your locations, etc). so 9 times out of ten its making money off you even when its sat in your pocket. It's a good thought experiment actually - a 1989 rave compared to a nightclub now and all its flows and undercurrents of (monitised) digital....

ah well lol

Last edited:
i'm filming it because i want to remember it. yes but all the time your filming it your not really there because your filming - you are there filming - and so therefore have nothing to remember!

how’s that work then? Do they search people and take their phones off them? Fuck that quite frankly.

Editor explained it with his opening post, you find that on page one in words, and then ska helpfully condensed the system into a handy diagram, you'll find on page two.

You'll also find reading the threads ahead of asking daft questions will save you from shouting at clouds you can't even see the shape of.

Dylan came to Fort Myers "recently" (quotes because I don't remember when, but it was within the last 5 or so years, I think. Maybe he was here twice. Who knows; I've lost count with some of the bigger named artists) and that was the first time I heard of the pouches. I understand the wanting smart devices put out of sight, but I also didn't feel the need to spend over 200 dollars to sit in the last row of the cheap seats in the arena he was playing in. So I didn't go.

I've gone to concerts where people around me were filming the entirety of the show. It was distracting as all hell because you're trying to have a chill time and someone in your sight line has their phone up and recording. Yes, I am guilty of recording snippets myself, but I use them to make a 2-4 minute compilation video for my blog. I'm not using the videos for playback purposes on the little screen; I'm using them to help speak about the quality of the band I had seen. I've also skipped recording all together and just enjoyed the audio view. It's not necessary to have the phone out all the time.

I went to see the Indigo Girls in May. People had their phones out, recording most of the concert. What I really disagreed with, was the fact they were charging a fair good amount to attend, and one of their guest musicians ended up live streaming the entire concert on Twitch. For free. Why pay money "to be there in person" when you can "attend" a live stream on your couch? It's fun to go and be part of a crowd, but you can't post "please don't record" signs and let your musical guests live stream at the same time and not make a dime from it. It feels contradictory.

Back to Dylan - sorry, I got off topic. Some of his songs are great, some are not. He's trying to stay relevant even though his time has been up for a while. There's a reason he's been on multiple "never ending tour"s. The phones going in the pouches can be a necessity for him, but I can agree with the statements of "why". Especially if you're there with your partner and you've got a babysitter at your house. Forget this is Dylan and people have a slight dislike. Imagine it's someone else. The babysitter has an emergency and needs you and you don't have anyone else in your family who can answer the call. Now you have to take your vibrating pouch to the area where you're allowed to accept the call and you miss it. Then what? Sure, that can be rare, but it can happen. I can also agree with the train thing though - I almost missed the last train when I saw Elton John in Boston back in 2004 because he ran over. Great long show, but I had to high tail it out at the end and missed an encore because of how late he ran (I knew the train schedule but didn't anticipate a 3 1/2 hour show). I had a flip phone and a regular watch at the time. That I kept off and in my pocket the whole time.

People can use their smart watch now to record audio, which could be the reason Dylan wants them in a bag. On your wrist, it'd be right shit audio because it'll pick up everything (and honestly, nothing beats actual soundboard recording for live events), but the capability is there to do voice memos. I've attempted to record interviews that way. It's easy in a pinch, because it syncs to your phone and you can actively monitor the input on the phone screen when needed, but it's not completely practical. Also, I don't know about most smart watches, but the Apple watch has "theater mode", where you can select this option and every time you move your hand, the screen stays dark.

I once saw Dylan live with Willie Nelson back in 2004. Shitty opening acts for both of them. Willie was cool and Bob was interestingly meh. There wasn't that big of a crowd for this series. I think it was because it wasn't promoted properly. However, It was an experience I won't forget because I got the tickets for free and asked my uncle if he was interested in going with me. He did, and I'm appreciative of that because it was something I got to share with him before he passed away. I also am glad I didn't record the concert. It wasn't necessary.

Editor explained it with his opening post, you find that on page one in words, and then ska helpfully condensed the system into a handy diagram, you'll find on page two.

You'll also find reading the threads ahead of asking daft questions will save you from shouting at clouds you can't even see the shape of.
I'm pretty sure xenon uses a screen reader and both explanations were in a non-accessible format.

They go in a bag that has a fancy lock on it so the owner keeps hold of their phone in the venue. The locked bag needs to be tapped on a special thingy (I'm thinking a bit like an oyster reader) to be opened.

I'm pretty sure xenon uses a screen reader and both explanations were in a non-accessible format.

They go in a bag that has a fancy lock on it so the owner keeps hold of their phone in the venue. The locked bag needs to be tapped on a special thingy (I'm thinking a bit like an oyster reader) to be opened.

They were in non-accessible format, you're right, I hadn't noticed - which is what?? Privilege!

Apols xenon for being judgemental, I should think first.

If I knew a gig was going to be phone and superwatch free, I would totally try to go. Even if I didn't like the music that much. Just to remember what life was like, when it was proper, and people weren't continuously seeing through a view-finder what's right in front of their eyes.

One reason I like classical concerts is that people are, on the whole, more cerebrally refined than other music genres. (Yeah, bite me) They want to be there in the moment, absorbing the acoustics, and the finesse of the musicianship in finite detail. You can actually close your eyes, and not only still be there, but you can be MORE there...trying to compress a full live symphony orchestra and choir onto a mobile phone is bound for disappointment.

We're usually older at these classical music gigs, and recall life before the mobile revolution. We just lived it. But there's also a sense for the younger people of getting your money's worth, and if you CAN record your life's most expensive memories, then why wouldn't you? If I'd paid thirty squillion quid for a Taylor Swift ticket, you know I would want to film at least some of it. And steal the seat. And nick some commemorative toilet paper. And a bar mat.

This is why I'm not allowed in nice places any more.

Byung Chul Han: "Everything that once connected us is slowly disappearing."

A good example is an old acid house rave. All that energy, mental and emptional space. All that non-interupted "being there." now, at rave you have the digital flowing through everything. It's either there (people filming, texting, etc), or it's never far away (The pull and draw to get your phone out for some reason, or its monitoring your steps, your locations, etc). so 9 times out of ten its making money off you even when its sat in your pocket. It's a good thought experiment actually - a 1989 rave compared to a nightclub now and all its flows and undercurrents of (monitised) digital....

ah well lol
Phonox in Brixton has had a "no phones out on the dance floor" rule for ages. People generally respect it.

That's pointlessly hair shirt and totally misunderstands what it is like to be at a big gig like that. They're not particularly good unless you're right at the front, so most people need the screens.

Big shows like that are shit really. If Dylan objects to them, he should stick to playing small venues rather than making most of the people in big places have an even more disconnected experience.

I honestly don't see much need for video screens at gigs.. especially for an act like Dylan. Of course if it's an integral part of the show. Otherwise there's no real need. Quite happy at Glastonbury in 2009 standing on the hill watching Neil Young in the distance.

I agree with skyscraper Just ask, firmly people not to have they phones out. The idea of making them put their phones in a little bag it’s just infantilising rubbish besides, if I’m paying 70 quid or whatever to see an artist I will take a short video or audio clip, if I damn will want to. filming the whole gig is of course a dick move.

I don't get the logic of turning the screens off on the Pyramid Stage. They're there for people who aren't close enough to the stage to see the band. It's not disrupting the gig to have them up there.

I don't get the logic of turning the screens off on the Pyramid Stage. They're there for people who aren't close enough to the stage to see the band. It's not disrupting the gig to have them up there.
Dylan clearly gets off on being awkward and isn't particularly bothered about how his fans feel. He's certainly had that reputation for many many years

So if you were firmly asked not to have your phone out, you'd take your phone out anyway?

I wouldn't film the whole thing, which I think is the point of the request. If I wanted to take a short clip, sure. Usually I don't bother as someone else or a mate has done what'sApp / Youtube, so I can rewatch / share their's. Think last time I did this was at a Pixies gig last year, but that was just audio.

First time I think I did this at a music gig was back in 2012, Ministry,on a nokia phone. Was kinda pointless anyway as the sound was too distorted upon playback. Again only a clip.

TLDR:

I'm there, present, enjoying the gig, not filming the whole thing but just want a quick momento.

Be funny if there was tech in places such as gigs etc that stopped phones turning on. Just blank screened them. But what if we I needed to make an important call! True how the fuck did we ever survive back then!

Be funny if there was tech in places such as gigs etc that stopped phones turning on. Just blank screened them. But what if we I needed to make an important call! True how the fuck did we ever survive back then!
Pretty sure any sort of large scale jammer would fuck the sound desk and any wireless equipment being used.

Dylan clearly gets off on being awkward and isn't particularly bothered about how his fans feel. He's certainly had that reputation for many many years

Really? ... for all you know the vast majority could be quite happy with not having mobile phones or screens - certainly hasn't stopped them turning up for years!

Really? ... for all you know the vast majority could be quite happy with not having mobile phones or screens - certainly hasn't stopped them turning up for years!
I meant generally rather than this gig in particular. In theory I support phone bans at gigs though may quibble about implementation (I favour shooting).

The only thing I want in this world is snippers taking out FaceTimers on train carriages. That’s all. Head shots and a secondary body disposal team. You could have a carriage for collection of said bodies so as to avoid further delays on an already stretched network.

It’s phones and smartwatches.

The point of smartwatches and wearable health monitoring in general is that they’re kind of attached to you all the time.

And having to be in a designated area away from the show to be alerted to stuff on a phone kind of defeats the point of having one.

someone upthread said they don't block signals - you can't see the phone or use the touchscreen but you put it on vibrate so you can feel when you get an alert. I guess part of the thing about the smartwatch is that you can use it as the phone in some ways.

Pretty sure any sort of large scale jammer would fuck the sound desk and any wireless equipment being used.

The way mobile phone "jammers" work - afaik anyway - is that they pretend to be a cell tower, but that doesn't connect to anything. So the mobiles phones connect to the fake cell tower instead of a real one and end up with no signal. If I'm right, it wouldn't affect any wireless kit being used.
It would be highly illegal though and prevent emergency messages being sent out (and received though that's probably less of an issue).

Dylan came to Fort Myers "recently" (quotes because I don't remember when, but it was within the last 5 or so years, I think. Maybe he was here twice. Who knows; I've lost count with some of the bigger named artists) and that was the first time I heard of the pouches. I understand the wanting smart devices put out of sight, but I also didn't feel the need to spend over 200 dollars to sit in the last row of the cheap seats in the arena he was playing in. So I didn't go.

I've gone to concerts where people around me were filming the entirety of the show. It was distracting as all hell because you're trying to have a chill time and someone in your sight line has their phone up and recording. Yes, I am guilty of recording snippets myself, but I use them to make a 2-4 minute compilation video for my blog. I'm not using the videos for playback purposes on the little screen; I'm using them to help speak about the quality of the band I had seen. I've also skipped recording all together and just enjoyed the audio view. It's not necessary to have the phone out all the time.

I went to see the Indigo Girls in May. People had their phones out, recording most of the concert. What I really disagreed with, was the fact they were charging a fair good amount to attend, and one of their guest musicians ended up live streaming the entire concert on Twitch. For free. Why pay money "to be there in person" when you can "attend" a live stream on your couch? It's fun to go and be part of a crowd, but you can't post "please don't record" signs and let your musical guests live stream at the same time and not make a dime from it. It feels contradictory.

Back to Dylan - sorry, I got off topic. Some of his songs are great, some are not. He's trying to stay relevant even though his time has been up for a while. There's a reason he's been on multiple "never ending tour"s. The phones going in the pouches can be a necessity for him, but I can agree with the statements of "why". Especially if you're there with your partner and you've got a babysitter at your house. Forget this is Dylan and people have a slight dislike. Imagine it's someone else. The babysitter has an emergency and needs you and you don't have anyone else in your family who can answer the call. Now you have to take your vibrating pouch to the area where you're allowed to accept the call and you miss it. Then what? Sure, that can be rare, but it can happen. I can also agree with the train thing though - I almost missed the last train when I saw Elton John in Boston back in 2004 because he ran over. Great long show, but I had to high tail it out at the end and missed an encore because of how late he ran (I knew the train schedule but didn't anticipate a 3 1/2 hour show). I had a flip phone and a regular watch at the time. That I kept off and in my pocket the whole time.

People can use their smart watch now to record audio, which could be the reason Dylan wants them in a bag. On your wrist, it'd be right shit audio because it'll pick up everything (and honestly, nothing beats actual soundboard recording for live events), but the capability is there to do voice memos. I've attempted to record interviews that way. It's easy in a pinch, because it syncs to your phone and you can actively monitor the input on the phone screen when needed, but it's not completely practical. Also, I don't know about most smart watches, but the Apple watch has "theater mode", where you can select this option and every time you move your hand, the screen stays dark.

I once saw Dylan live with Willie Nelson back in 2004. Shitty opening acts for both of them. Willie was cool and Bob was interestingly meh. There wasn't that big of a crowd for this series. I think it was because it wasn't promoted properly. However, It was an experience I won't forget because I got the tickets for free and asked my uncle if he was interested in going with me. He did, and I'm appreciative of that because it was something I got to share with him before he passed away. I also am glad I didn't record the concert. It wasn't necessary.
Audio recorded on a smartphone isn't going to sound very good unless they keep their arm in the air for the duration of the show. And even then it's going to be lo-fi at best.

Audio recorded on a smartphone isn't going to sound very good unless they keep their arm in the air for the duration of the show. And even then it's going to be lo-fi at best.

FWIW you can get a decent live feel recording with binaural mics, that look like regular in ear earbuds at a glance. I have done this once or twice but only at a local open mic event. Wouldn't do it at a gig cos I want to hear the whole thing with my actual ears. You'd look pretty odd wearing headphones at a gig I spose anyway but maybe no weirder than staring at the stage through a phone camera...

That's true.

There is no way to live mix a recording on a phone app unless you're using "industry standard" ones (ProTools, Audacity, hell - even Garageband). Who will be arsed to do that? I've had my share of horribly recorded audio, and that is just me having a conversation with someone. Plus, the speakers in the facility have to be really good in order to capture everything semi smoothly.

So the phone stays in the pocket and on silent mode. No one calls me anyway, so it doesn't matter. Watch goes on "theater mode" so at least if the show is running late, I can still see what time it is and dip out for a second to make the "I'll be later than anticipated" call... if it came down to that.

Maybe it's more reason why public pay phones need to make a come back?

FWIW you can get a decent live feel recording with binaural mics, that look like regular in ear earbuds at a glance. I have done this once or twice but only at a local open mic event. Wouldn't do it at a gig cos I want to hear the whole thing with my actual ears. You'd look pretty odd wearing headphones at a gig I spose anyway but maybe no weirder than staring at the stage through a phone camera...

There is an article I read ages ago that said something like "if you are listening to music on your smart phone with no headphones, hold it speaker side to the back of your neck and it'll act like a stereo recording and sound like it's in your head" or something similar. There's still no way to replicate good sound for live recordings, unless you're going to use the headphones as suggested.

Back in the day, one of my friends had found a website with bootleg soundboard recordings from a plethora of artists. It was a cool site and so many users were on it. If you tried doing that now, with phone recordings, no one would want it. Which also could be the reason Dylan doesn't want phones out - so no one bootlegs his music except for himself.

Although, I have to admit, the Twitch live stream I found for that Indigo Girls concert came out pretty decent when I saved it and transferred it to a usable file. I did have to do some tweaking in Audacity with parts of it. I don't know what the person who recorded the live stream used - whether it was a video camera, smart phone or something else. They didn't say, but odds are it was a phone since it was putting out everything live. I'm sure they weren't connected to some secret internet in the building and recording onto a laptop...

No matter how good the recording quality of the smart watch you'll still be stuck with people talking throughout the gig. Unless Dylan has thought of that too and enforced the compulsory wearing of gags.

Back
Top Bottom