Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Horizon: Should I eat Meat?

Maggot

The Cake of Liberty
BBC2 tonight (18 August) 9PM, part 2 Wednesday 20th August 9PM

Another chance for the old veggies Vs Omnis argument to resurface. Scientist Michael Mosley looks at the recent reports about the dangers of eating processed meat. Part 2 looks at the environmental impact of meat production.

The stats are scaring me a bit. Add the lifetime-reducingness of meat to the shorter life expectancy for people with MH issues, then chuck in diabetes and prematureness.... I think I might have about a week left.

The stats are scaring me a bit. Add the lifetime-reducingness of meat to the shorter life expectancy for people with MH issues, then chuck in diabetes and prematureness.... I think I might have about a week left.
They might not be cumulative.

Haven't watched it and cannot comment on it. But as far as the environmental cost is concerned, I long ago took the decision never to have children, partly because of the environmental cost to the planet, and I reckon that buys me a lifetime of meat consumption with a clear conscience.

Haven't watched it and cannot comment on it. But as far as the environmental cost is concerned, I long ago took the decision never to have children, partly because of the environmental cost to the planet, and I reckon that buys me a lifetime of meat consumption with a clear conscience.
That's a strange logic: Because you're not harming the planet in one way, it's ok to harm it in another.:confused:

and it tastes nice.
your ability to tell what it tastes like is not something you are in control of as much as you think
if i consciously fed you your pet dog it would taste disgusting, but if i told you it was mutton and cooked it youd like it and say it was delicious - its all in the mind, and all in your emotions for the animal you are eating

you should eat children

The changes in the gut they expected to detect (through a fecal test) weren't as they expected and they attributed that to the high vegetable content of his diet. So. Eat some lettuce and tomato with your bacon

That's a strange logic: Because you're not harming the planet in one way, it's ok to harm it in another.:confused:
It is and isn't, depending on your viewpoint. If you believe any and all sources of negative environmental impact should be avoided, then it will not seem an acceptable trade-off. If you believe one can balance cutting down your environmental footprint and having a lifestyle that appeals to you and gives you a few perks and pleasures, then it seems an acceptable compromise to me.

What do meat eaters think about some of the more intensive farming methods (i.e. the methods by which a large amount of meat is produced?).

The changes in the gut they expected to detect (through a fecal test) weren't as they expected and they attributed that to the high vegetable content of his diet. So. Eat some lettuce and tomato with your bacon

Although nothing was said in that programme about the microbiome. I'd wager that the bacterial population of the gut is material to the health outcomes of any diet. I was curious about that faecal result particularly In this respect.

Back
Top Bottom