Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hatred against people on disability benefits getting ramped up again

Dystopiary

putting up a hook to hang my hopes upon
Thought this warranted a new thread, unfortunately. It's really started up again.

I posted last Friday in the campaign against welfare cuts and poverty about Jeremy Vine's revolting tweet asking people if "we" should crack down on disability benefits.

1685744740162.png

I see he's now deleted it - perhaps he got a level of pushback that he didn't expect.

However, he's not alone in his attempts to stir up that kind of hatred. It's starting up again isn't it? Politicians and the media working in tandem to demonise people who can't work. 🙁

1685744934072.png

Dr Frances Ryan on twitter

Only the day before, Dr Ryan had this article published. She was right:

A decade after the Tories demonised disabled people on benefits, it’s happening again | Frances Ryan

It is exactly a decade since former chancellor George Osborne launched cuts to the benefits system totalling tens of billions of pounds, and with them, fuelled rhetoric so toxic that it caused an increase in hate crime towards disabled people. This was the era of Benefits Street and the Sun’s Beat the Cheat campaign, where it was quite normal for a national newspaper to invite readers to report their disabled neighbours to the benefit fraud hotline.

Fast forward 10 years and we bleakly find ourselves back here again, with labour shortages and a population in ever poorer health. Now politicians and the media are setting their sights on the so-called “economically inactive” and “record numbers” of long-term sick.

However, let's not forget it was a Labour government who got the ball rolling; their changes to the benefits system were devastating for thousands of people, and many lost money they'd relied on to manage. The language they used was also demeaning, and fast forward to the present they're making it quite clear they're the party "for working people." Many of us know that only too well as a dog-whistle for being very much against benefit claimants.

Meanwhile, back to the Telegraph. Today they pushed the message a bit more:

1685745745311.png

Dr Frances Ryan on twitter

This 'nearly 4 million' claim I can't find much to support it. Nevertheless, yes, of course those who can't work due to sickness or disability should be 'funded' when they can't work. What's the alternative? Stop funding them and see what happens for shits and gigs? Seems to be the govt and media bubbles's attitude to most of the consequences of the torrent of shit they have foisted on the country for decades. If you look at mental health:

The number of people on disability benefits has been steadily rising – from 2% of the working-age population in the early 1990s (591,000) to 6% in 2020–21 (2.2 million) – in spite of a 2013 reform which explicitly aimed to reduce numbers.
The growth in disability benefit claims has been primarily driven by an increased prevalence of mental health conditions. Four-fifths of the rise in the number of disability benefit recipients over the past two decades is accounted for by those with psychiatric conditions (such as mental health problems and learning disabilities) as their main disabling condition. They now make up almost half (44%; 944,000) of all working-age disability benefit claimants.

Fucking hell, not this bullshit again. Maybe they could try looking into the root causes for why crippling mental illness has effectively tripled in the working age population and address that? Or does the magic money tree only extend as far as giving tax breaks and rebates to corporations and rich pieces of shit?

This 'nearly 4 million' claim I can't find much to support it. Nevertheless, yes, of course those who can't work due to sickness or disability should be 'funded' when they can't work. What's the alternative? Stop funding them and see what happens for shits and gigs? Seems to be the govt and media bubbles's attitude to most of the consequences of the torrent of shit they have foisted on the country for decades. If you look at mental health:

Yeah exactly. I work and my partners currently on PIP and ESA. We are surviving. If she lost one of her benefits we'd be homeless especially in Bristol with the price of rent. Blokes a prick and they were debating this morning if people on benefits should be allowed to have children.

Yeah exactly. I work and my partners currently on PIP and ESA. We are surviving. If she lost one of her benefits we'd be homeless especially in Bristol with the price of rent. Blokes a prick and they were debating this morning if people on benefits should be allowed to have children.
I agree the thing that worries me is the plan to amalgamate PIP and ESA and move people on legacy benefits onto Universal credit. I am in the same position as you regarding working and my partner claiming. There is no clarity around the means testing and impact of partners earnings it’s very concerning.

Fucking hell, not this bullshit again. Maybe they could try looking into the root causes for why crippling mental illness has effectively tripled in the working age population and address that? Or does the magic money tree only extend as far as giving tax breaks and rebates to corporations and rich pieces of shit?
Not a chance, and yes. Sadly.

The vicious scapegoating continues apace. The Telegraph have got another similar article up today in their "business" section, complete with graphs and a map to incite their readers to blame disabled and poor people for the UK's economic woes. Note the word "battle" in the headline.

1685793224081.png

The Telegraph on twitter

They seem to be especially keen to target those with mental heath issues:

Almost half of the 1.5 million people claiming ESA with no work requirements cite mental health conditions, such as stress and anxiety, as the cause. These people do not have to attend any interviews and any engagement with the job centre is on a voluntary basis.

In addition, more than half a million people on Universal Credit with no work requirements – or 25pc of the total – have been claiming benefits for more than four years, according to DWP data.
Many will never be able to work; some are in their last years of life; others care for a severely disabled person or young children. But an increasing number of new claimants are legally exempt from work due to mental health problems, driving a surge in sickness benefit spending.

^That paragraph is followed by a graph titled "SURGE IN DROPOUTS HOLDS BRITAIN BACK".

According to the Telegraph and government ministers, though, it's about helping people.

John Glen, the chief secretary to the Treasury, admits the Government – as well as those on benefits – should do more. “Most people don’t want to be written off, but they need help and encouragement to get back into the workforce”, he says.

Of course they don't acknowledge how difficult claiming benefits actually is, nor the relentless hounding of claimants and constant threat of losing the bare minimum to live on for anyone who finds themselves in that situation.

The Telegraph also quotes Maxima, who have been linked to the deaths of disabled claimants, including Jodey Whiting, Alan McArdle and Philip Pakree, and who, despite that, have just been awarded a contract to carry out assessments in the north of England and Scotland, worth an estimated £650 million over five years, and it will work as a “delivery partner” to Capita in Wales and the Midlands, worth another £150 million.

The Telegraph doesn't include that figure, nor the over £560 million contracts the DWP has just awarded to Capita, the same day a safeguarding review linked the company to the death of young disabled mother Philippa Day, when it says spending on disability benefits is forecast to "balloon" by another £30bn by the next election.

https://archive.ph/tvLHD

Last edited:
Of course they don't acknowledge how difficult claiming benefits actually is, nor the relentless hounding of claimants and constant threat of losing the bare minimum to live on for anyone who finds themselves in that situation.
Nor indeed the many and various employer-side barriers that prevent people with disabilities from entering/returning to/staying in work. It in unbelievably difficult to get employers to engage with the special schools/colleges I work with; it is a constant struggle to secure work experience placements and employer encounters, which schools are legally obliged to provide (and which we are keen to provide so that our young people can move on into the next phase of their lives and achieve their ambitions). Much of which is influenced by the ongoing deficit view of disability and all the negative stereotypes that go along with that. Mysterious how I don't see anyone in the media rushing to suggest that employers could do more, that they 'need to be encouraged' back into meaningfully supporting inclusive working 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔

Fuck this rhetoric. Disgusting doesn't even begin to cover it.

If
Blaming everything on the ill and the poor again. No doubt they will want to reopen debter prisons and workhouses next.

They need scape goats to distract their readers from the fucking mess the world is in.

Exactly. It just becomes so obvious after a while. Expect all sorts of bullshit like this as the next election gets nearer.

Fucking Hell.
This is straight out of people like reesmogg's playbook, isn't it ?

If they really want to "balance the books" rather than rely on cuts to expenditure, the other side of the coin would be to overhaul the tax system and other government income - especially closing loopholes exploited by the filthy rich individuals and corporates ...

Also - do something about really helping people cope - starting by not over-stressing them in the first place, and have proper, fit-for-purpose MH support for when the inevitable happens.

Bit of anecdata - no, thought better of putting that info down.

I saw the Jeremy Vine tweet, was revolted by it.

Seeing the Telegraph tweet, looks like both media outlets were on the receiving end of messaging, and they're just repeating that line.
Yeah there is definitely a deliberate campaign going on at the moment. There's been buildup to it as well - there have been a lot of stories about the increased number of people off work long term after covid before that for instance. Preparing the ground.

Vine disgusts me. I had his number ages ago. The open bias of his Radio 2 show earned it and him the label of 'Daily Mail of the airwaves' from me. I reported that tweet as hate speech as I suspect did many others but I would't be in the least bit surprised if the current Twitter management had a little word with him and his team rather than actually restricting his account which is why it got taken down, that and the reaction. Also yes to all of the people above who have observed that there's a nasty agenda going on here.

Never in our history has it been more important to blame someone but the government for the utter shit we are currently in.

Divide and rule tactics all the way.. Forever (unless there is a revolution, which frankly isn't going to happen is it? )

That's a fascinating calculator, lot of built-in inaccuracies though. Entering my gross income it tells me the amount of tax I am paying is £11K more than what I actually am. Since my accountant charges me less than £2K pa, he is clearly doing a great job and I must remember to get him a bottle of something expensive come Xmas.
Taking their figures at a not very accurate face value my contribution to the Universal Credit budget for people seeking work is only £38 pa which strikes me as great value tbh, since I am basically paying them to not come and try and nick my stuff instead. About a quarter of the welfare portion of my tax (itself one third of the total tax) goes on sickness and disability with more than half going on the state pension. Given the voting pattern of pensioners I suspect there will be no talk of savings on the pension front (and a good job too since I will be eligible for mine in 6 months)

It seemed obvious when Jeremy Hunt became chancellor that they’d replay their greatest hits sooner rather than later. This country has been circling the drain for years now. Something about the definition of madness.

That's a fascinating calculator, lot of built-in inaccuracies though. Entering my gross income it tells me the amount of tax I am paying is £11K more than what I actually am. Since my accountant charges me less than £2K pa, he is clearly doing a great job and I must remember to get him a bottle of something expensive come Xmas.

Nice little humblebrag about cheating the public purse out of 11 grand a year.

Nice little humblebrag about cheating the public purse out of 11 grand a year.
Every single penny that passes through the books of MickiQ Enterprises gets logged and properly accounted for to the taxman Frank. I pay a truly eye watering amount in tax, I collect 20% VAT on every invoice I send which gets passed along at added cost and zero benefit to me, I pay full corporation tax on any profit (no Cayman Island writeoffs sadly). Then I pay income tax and NI on what I pay myself (and the employers contribution as well)
Where I save money is on paying dividends rather than salary since the tax rate on dividends is lower than on salary. All perfectly legal and documented to HMRC, they don't think I'm cheating the public purse and neither do I.
If you think I do then that is a bit of an unexpected benefit tbh, Let me bask in the warm glow of your impotent rage.

Taking their figures at a not very accurate face value my contribution to the Universal Credit budget for people seeking work is only £38 pa which strikes me as great value tbh, since I am basically paying them to not come and try and nick my stuff instead.
I'm really not sure how to take this comment tbh. A huge amount of people would probably starve to death before they even stole from Tesco let alone breaking in and robbing your family.

I'm really not sure how to take this comment tbh. A huge amount of people would probably starve to death before they even stole from Tesco let alone breaking in and robbing your family.
IF I'm helping to prevent that I'm getting even better value out of that £38 then.

Back
Top Bottom