Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Happy ... er ... new year, it's the 2023 album recommendations thread!

I thought I'd posted about this when it came out, but now I can't find it anywhere, so here it is - Honey by Samia is a bit kind of Phoebe Bridgers style indie-pop, and for bonus cool points she's Kathy "Hocus Pocus" Najimy's daughter:

Another one where I can't make up my mind how I feel about it: Nicole Dollanganger - 'Married in Mount Airy'

Her voice will definitely split the crowd.

Just noticed that Screaming Females sneaked their new album out last week - doesn't show up on Metacritic for some reason though. On first listen it's as riff-filled and awesome as their last one - I don't know how Marissa Paternoster manages to play such complex guitar lines while singing at the same time:

Just noticed that Screaming Females sneaked their new album out last week - doesn't show up on Metacritic for some reason though. On first listen it's as riff-filled and awesome as their last one - I don't know how Marissa Paternoster manages to play such complex guitar lines while singing at the same time:

Are you listening to the Damian Abraham interview as well, or is that a coincidence?

I saw The Necks play once and it was ace - but I don't think I've ever listened to any of their albums. Their new one is great though so I'll be dipping into their enormous back-catalogue. Long improv pieces featuring piano, bass and drums - properly immersive stuff - very very tasty!

John Frusciante, yes, the guitarist in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, has just released two album of quite dark drone. Both have Autechre-like unpronounceable titles.

John Frusciante, yes, the guitarist in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, has just released two album of quite dark drone. Both have Autechre-like unpronounceable titles.

Didn't he also release some drum and bass stuff - or am I thinking of another chilli pepper?

Very pleased to find out there's a new Tim Hecker album on the way in April. Only one track up on Bandcamp so far but it's a dark, pulsing beauty.

I'm also very much looking forward to the 'mantric horns (including exquisite modal sax by Colin Stetson)' promised in the description :cool:

Very pleased to find out there's a new Tim Hecker album on the way in April. Only one track up on Bandcamp so far but it's a dark, pulsing beauty.

I'm also very much looking forward to the 'mantric horns (including exquisite modal sax by Colin Stetson)' promised in the description :cool:

Ooooh :cool:

Didn't he also release some drum and bass stuff - or am I thinking of another chilli pepper?
I think so. I'd never much liked the RHCPs, but this sounded interesting so I gave it a shot. Not quite Stars of the Lid quality drone, but good nonetheless.

Killer b put me on to Precipitation's spangly ambient house.... he's just released a jungle tape and it's very nice...

Ooh, nice one. Craven Faults' last album has become bob_jr and my go-to soundtrack when we play chess. There's something exquisitely chessy about it - perfectly orderly but geometrically complex and beautiful.

(For anyone interested, he's 14 and consistently beats me about 75% of the time, as he has done since the 4th game we played after I'd taught him the game when he was 9 :D)

Ooh, nice one. Craven Faults' last album has become bob_jr and my go-to soundtrack when we play chess. There's something exquisitely chessy about it - perfectly orderly but geometrically complex and beautiful.

(For anyone interested, he's 14 and consistently beats me about 75% of the time, as he has done since the 4th game we played after I'd taught him the game when he was 9 :D)

I was just looking on Craven Faults bandcamp the other day thinking it must be time for a new release.....

Look forward to that! And I'll stick him on now I think.

Back
Top Bottom