Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Happy ... er ... new year, it's the 2023 album recommendations thread!

Appeared on Bandcamp last October, on cassette in November and vinyl at the end of January this year. Such is the way with release dates these days due to manufacturing times. So no need for sincere apologies from braindancer - he's just cooler than the streaming/download crew.

Not really - as I've only been streaming it :D

Maybe they're just keeping his spirit alive. Can't see him approving of the 'private seance' nonsense.

I don't think he would've wished them well though so they need to sharpen their game there.
Yeah, I feel like Mark E Smith's family should really have responded properly by recording a rambling five-minute track slagging House of All off and accusing them of walking into Rochdale wearing sandals.

really not into the new ebtg.

the new dean blunt EP 'give me a moment' is nice but the tracks are sadly all about 1 min long

New compilation from Frequency Domain. DISCLAIMER: this is my husband's label and I appear on this comp in some format, so I'm not posting with any claims of quality or otherwise :D but lots of other artists that folk might want to hear e.g. Luke Sanger, Jo Johnson, Plant43 etc.

Yung Lean has just put out a bowie-style torch song album under his Jonatan Leadndoer96 name, "Sugar World". It is really good

And as 2023 seems to be the year of soundcloud rappers releasing indie records Lil Yachty has just put out "Let's Start Here"... not quite so sure abou this one, though there are a few songs that repeated listening rewards (generally the less indie ones). but anyway good he is trying something different

Another out in March. First track from the new album from Dawn Ray'd....Anarchist Black Metal from Liverpool.

Been listening to so much Dawn Ray'd recently.

The new song released earlier this week is phenominal!

'Fuck every copper, that ever took a wage!/Every blue bastard with his batton raised!/A beast that even his master hates/Only a coward fights for the State!'

Can't wait for the LP

New from Maps popped up this morning - Counter Melodies. Not sure how to best describe it.... Poppy, electronic, a little bit Ulrich Schnauss, a little bit Depeche Mode on a happy afternoon.

Another song from the new Xiu Xiu, not my favourite mode of theirs but definitely unmistakably Xiu Xiu:

I suppose it's maybe a bit Angel Guts-y, in terms of their catalogue?

New Napalm Death ep out:
One of the tracks is quite groovy, apparently it's a cover of Slab! who I don't think I'd ever encountered before.
eta: here's the Napalm version:

And here's the original, which is great, it's like if Heaven 17 took a hard industrial turn:

Last edited:
I've not heard Colossal Squid before but a sleeve like this is hard to resist and I'm hooked.

Solo project of producer/virtuoso drummer Adam Betts (Goldie, Squarepusher, Melt Yourself Down, Jarvis Cocker).

Tasty cover as you say - will defo have a listen!

Back
Top Bottom