Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Happy ... er ... new year, it's the 2023 album recommendations thread!

Hen Ogledd seem to be trying to sneak their latest out without anyone noticing.

As usual with anything Richard Dawson-related, the previous album is no guide whatsoever for what to expect this time. It's back in avant folk terrritory after the sort of prog pop of Free Humans. Enjoying bits of it, but like Dawson's latest solo one I think it'll take a few listens to properly get the hang of it.

Hen Ogledd - Bronze

Hen Ogledd seem to be trying to sneak their latest out without anyone noticing.

As usual with anything Richard Dawson-related, the previous album is no guide whatsoever for what to expect this time. It's back in avant folk terrritory after the sort of prog pop of Free Humans. Enjoying bits of it, but like Dawson's latest solo one I think it'll take a few listens to properly get the hang of it.

Hen Ogledd - Bronze
Actually I think that came out in 2016, at least according to their webshop: RELEASES / SHOP - Hen Ogledd

Looks like maybe it was only out on vinyl and now they've put it on streaming - their 2013 debut also shows up on Spotify as released in 2023.

Last edited:
Actually I think that came out in 2016, at least according to their webshop: RELEASES / SHOP - Hen Ogledd

Looks like maybe it was only out on vinyl and now they've put it on streaming - their 2013 debut also shows up on Spotify as released in 2023.

Oh dear - well, that would explain why it just sort of trickled out onto Bandcamp without anyone noticing :D

(I mean, given that Dawson couldn't hit a bucket with a wooden spoon these days without articles about it in at least Pitchfork and the Guardian.)

Just saw this list shared on Facebook so I'm starting at the top. Shame I've got to go into the office tomorrow.

Albums :

1 William Ryan Fritch : Polarity
2 Sightless Pit : Lockstep Bloodwar
3 papervehicle : Yellow House
4 KHΛOMΛИ/ASH : Résidu Révolu
5 Anatoly Grinberg + Abell Leonid : The birth of a quantum lamb
6 Bruxa Maria : Build Yourself A Shrine And Pray
7 Hammock : Love in the Void
8 Ryuichi Sakamoto : 12
9 Innocent But Guilty & NLC feat. Wolf City : Dystopian Thoughts
10 Oozing Wound : We Cater To Cowards

11 Shall Remain Nameless : Dream Of A Sampler Life
12 Observatories : Our Recently Acquired Knowledge
13 AROVANE : Sinter
14 Deathprod : Compositions
15 Submerged : FURY
16 Simon Scott : Long Drove
17 Homeskin : Forgetfully Washed Into Callousness
18 The Murder Capital : Gigi's Recovery
19 Manco Wilder : The Phantom of the Corner Store
20 Gaz Coombes : Turn The Car Around
21 KHΛOMΛИ : DCLXVI
22 Ukandanz : Kemekem ከመከም
23 Day Tripper : What a time to be DEAD
24 Aidan Baker & Sergio Sorrentino : And The Clouds Played The Guitar

EPs :

1 BRUIT ≤ : Apologie du temps perdu, Vol. 1
2 Phil Ranelin, Wendell Harrison, Adrian Younge & Ali Shaheed Muhammad : Jazz Is Dead 016
3 Kyo Itachi x Pruven : Raw Balance
4 Jordane Prestrot : Formules éprouvées
5 Innocent But Guilty & DzEta : The Last Winter
6 Crimeapple : El Cantante

I've been listening to the Arovane this week - it's pretty sweet ambient and the Observatories album is in a similar vein and rather nice. Hammock I generally find a bit cloying. Simon Scott was the drummer in Slowdive - he's done some nice albums so I'll check that out for sure...

Maybe they're just keeping his spirit alive. Can't see him approving of the 'private seance' nonsense.

I don't think he would've wished them well though so they need to sharpen their game there.

10 Oozing Wound : We Cater To Cowards

Now this absolutely rips! Never listened to Oozing Wound before - lots of reviews note how this latest is a big departure from their previous more thrash metal sound - this is proper good noise rock - a joy from start to end 😎👍

Came out in October 2022, so not eligible for this thread sadly.
Appeared on Bandcamp last October, on cassette in November and vinyl at the end of January this year. Such is the way with release dates these days due to manufacturing times. So no need for sincere apologies from braindancer - he's just cooler than the streaming/download crew.

Back
Top Bottom