Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Happy ... er ... new year, it's the 2023 album recommendations thread!

Really? I thought it was mostly pretty dull. I'd hoped for some sort of return to form with proper drums and heavy guitar riffs but as usual it's mostly vocal warbling and soft percussion, spacey gentle guitars etc. - fine if that's your thing but it's too far removed from the early stuff I used to love.

I think it's a bit of a grower... there's some really good stuff on it..

Jazzy bit of afrobeat anyone?

2nd time I've played this today. Suffice to say it's really good. Tony Allen and Adrian Younge. I think I heard an interview with Adrian Younge about this album maybe around about the time Tony Allen died, but I completely forgot about it. Luckily it popped up on my feed this morning.

Haven't listened to a lot of new stuff this year so far but picked this up back in june, only got round to listening to it last week. Its a grower in a very off kilter way

also looking forward to Fat Tony's return

I've been listening to Anthony Naples' new album Orbs a lot. His older stuff was very dancefloor focused but this is very down-tempo. First half almost has a trip-hop vibe, whilst second half gets into more of a dub techno sound. Very nice 😎

Might be my album of the year, perfect pop and guitar riffs from Chris Farren, it's such a summer joy...

Giving this a proper listen finally, it's not quite up there with their best but still pretty good. A 43-minute-long track probably lands squarely on the side of self-indulgence though...

I've not managed to get through it yet - I've tried it a few times but given up each time. It's probably me who has the problem rather than the record though :D.

A top 40 list from the first half of 2023:

I'm pretty sure I've listened to that Jessie Ware one once.

A top 40 list from the first half of 2023:

I'm pretty sure I've listened to that Jessie Ware one once.

I've checked out some of these, in summary I say:

bar italia - nope
billy woods & Kenny Segal - YES!
Danny Brown & JPEGMAFIA! - nope
Everything but the Girl - nope
Kelela - Raven - YES!
Liturgy - nope
Mandy, Indiana - maybe
Parannoul - nope

I've checked out some of these, in summary I say:

bar italia - nope
billy woods & Kenny Segal - YES!
Danny Brown & JPEGMAFIA! - nope
Everything but the Girl - nope
Kelela - Raven - YES!
Liturgy - nope
Mandy, Indiana - maybe
Parannoul - nope
Mandy are the only one of those I've seen live (at a festival), they were pretty good but I'm not sure how much I'd go out of my way to hear more of them.

As a result of that list, I've now got around to listening to Peppers from Ocean Boulevard, and I am shocked to find that LDR has written an actual bop again:

Should I let this lure me into listening to the rest of DYKTATUOB, or is the rest of it all just going to be the same plinkyplonky piano bullshit?

Back
Top Bottom