Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Happy ... er ... new year, it's the 2023 album recommendations thread!

The new Cable Ties album isn't bad, even if it drops a little after the first couple of tracks.

For fans of Amyl and the Sniffers.

Witch - Zango

I didn't expect a new album from Witch. Leaders of the Zambian Zamrock scene in the 70s, they played psychedelic-afro-funk-rock and they were great. The Zambian economic crisis caused by a slump in copper prices in 1975 disrupted the whole country and the instability hit the scene, then AIDS almost literally killed the scene off. Emmanuel Jagari Chanda is the only surviving member of the original band. Reissues of their albums in the 2010s saw renewed interest in them and here is their first album in almost 40 years.

Anyone checked out the new one from Khanate? Drone-doom business featuring Stephen O Malley from Sunn O))). Blimey, it's potentially the most harrowing thing I've ever listened to - absolutely and relentlessly and hideously bleak. Definitely worth a listen though if that sounds like your cup of tea 😁

New PJ Harvey is out today.
and fucking good it is too.

There is also The Endless Coloured Ways: The Songs of Nick Drake (various artists) out today, to go alongside the new biography.

Normally when folk cover Drake they do so far too reverently, almost as if his songs were holy writ not to be tampered with or re-arranged. This collection finally does away with that nonsense and there is some brilliant stuff on there (as well as few meh ones). All praise to Liz Phair and, uhh, Let's Eat Grandma.

Really? I thought it was mostly pretty dull. I'd hoped for some sort of return to form with proper drums and heavy guitar riffs but as usual it's mostly vocal warbling and soft percussion, spacey gentle guitars etc. - fine if that's your thing but it's too far removed from the early stuff I used to love.
This piece points out her desire to never repeat herself.

Despite all the plaudits it got, Let England Shake never did anything for me. I might try a few tracks of the new one and see what I think.

Nighttime - Heart is the Seeker LP. First time I can remember an AOTY coming out in January, although thinking about it there's no reason why that shouldn't happen now and again. Out on Ba Da Bing! which if I remember correctly is Galaxie 500's label...

which on the LP segues into this:

Was kind of hoping that some kind soul would've put them up as intended, i.e. as one upload, but alas, twas not to be. Anyway, loadsa head-spinning atmospherics, outsider art feel, broad brush strokes but true artistry. Bit like if Nico was a West Coast acidhead.

Bloke from Blancmange, bloke from Young Fathers and, er, another bloke. They're being a bit stingy with trailed tracks, as in this is the only one so far that I'm aware of. Reminds me of recent Wire, could totes imagine Colin Newman doing those vocals, best listened to on headphones as there's some very nice neat details in there. Fingers crossed the other stuff on the album's not a collection of donk-schlager Nana Mouskouri covers coz as long as they're like this one, then it should be super fun all round...

e2a - I knew they'd do this when I wasn't looking...

No schalger-Nana... looks like Ima get this then. I like motoriky stuff, and irony, and ironic motoriky stuff is thus a winner in my world. :cool:

Last edited:

New album from Frankiie, who remind me of Still Corners. Really like listening to this sort of stuff in the summer, I've heard the rest of it and to my ears at least it's a good'un. :thumbs:

Fans of Venetian Snares-style throw-as-many-sounds-as-fast-as-you-can electronica might like the new one from Lauren Bousfield:

Back
Top Bottom